Lures and Traps

Okay, so i made a new play thru and decided to try out the alchemist class and now i`m already past the prologue and about to take on the kayran quest, while i was browsing what cedric is selling i notice there are lures and traps for sale so my question is how do i use traps and lures to kill monsters.

#1 do i just put the lures and trap together on the same spot? how does this actually work...i tried using the incineration trap(forgot the actual name) and placing a nekker lure beside it but nothing happens .

I tried meditating still nothing, btw i placed both lure and trap near the crossroads with the dead soldiers outside flotsam. am i doing this correctly?thanks for your answers....

I've never used lures, just the traps (I think my tender little witcher body was enough of lure, considering how many times I got dogpiled by the critters).

I really liked using those traps you find lying all over in the forest during chapter 1, I think you can collect 50 of them in chapter 1 and another 17 in chapter 2. They have a great damage, they snare and bleed, seems to work all almost everything AND they are resuable!

I would setup a LOT of traps about 25 sometimes more depending on what mischief I was planning) before going into a fight. Then I would run around and get the enemy to chase me while I ran through my evil minefield of traps. Sometimes I would stand at the edge of my minefield and toss a few bombs at them too, many times that wasnt even neccessary.

Another fun trap to use is Rage, its good crowd control. I used several of those when I did Meliteiles Heart. Make those monster work for YOU!

Edited by LenSquig

spets21 - I can't help much with advice on this one., but after you finish this playthrough, I'd be interested to see your comments on it. I haven't tried an Alchemy build as I don't really understand how it works, but I'm curious about it.

I like Rage and Conflagration, but I tend to use them mainly for the set pieces, where I have time to plan and know what's coming (for example, in Chapter 2, Melitele's Heart, the first two wraiths in the Asylum, Dmitri if you can get him to chase you down the hill). I don't use the snares much, mainly because I'm too lazy to set them and pick them up afterwards :)

I never used lures or traps, with exception of the harpy traps later on. I did try, but in the process of setting the stupid things, I promptly got my tush kicked...many times. I did try to lay some traps out just to see what would happen...nada. I tried the 'conflaguration(?)' and..well, later, forgot it was there....got myself, then the baddies. So I guess it just depends on the player. I'll just keep to my sword...thanks. :rolleyes:

Currently in my game i am now in act 2 just about to start the Blood Quest and after flotsam i find it hard to rely on just traps and that placing traps while fighting mobs is really hard so i am still adjusting on how to kill monsters efficiently so by combining the use of traps and bombs are more to my advantage a different combat style so to speak plus it's really cool once you have 100% damage to traps and bombs, the dragon scale armor from the mystery merchant the creeps don't stand a chance against me. XD

Lures on the other hand i find them absolutely friggin useless, see i was planning on setting up traps to do some hunting for crafting materials like endraga saliva to make fire rune stone.

I was going to place a lot of traps in one area and a couple of lures to kill endrega`s only lures don't work at all >.< instead i did what LenSquig is doing with his traps ,place em in one area and run like hell XD yeah it was fun watching those monsters blow up , burn and die hahaha. Alchemy Tree seems pretty good in my opinion i just don't like the green stuff on you`re screen that gives you like a drunk effect and makes you dizzy when you get poisoned by using you're special ability (X) so i just completely avoid using that button.

I will try placing a lot of Incineration and freezing trap later on when i go to the harpies lair it will be interesting to see what happens when the creeps and the queen will appear after the cut-scene with lethos dream sequence .

A couple of questions

- if you're playing on alchemy tree, does the usage of mutagens change, or are you still limited to a handful of them on abilities (unless you install a mod)? Otherwise, I'm not sure why getting more mutagens is helpful. Are there some potions/bombs that you can only make if you use mutagens as alchemy ingredients?

- A lot of the abilities say "... when poisoned". Does that mean poisoned by a creature, or does it include OD'ing on potions? (as TW1 differentiated, I'd assumed TW2 did too, but these abilities seem to have limited benefit if so)

on yer first question yes there are some skills that improved the duration of your potion say the normal potion when you drink gives around 9 minutes or so theres a skill that you can upgrade that increases the duration effects of both potions and oils as well as the mutagens you placed on your tree.

a good example of a mutagen upgrade is the greater critical mutagen that gives you like 5% critical on knockdown/incineration/freezing ect. if upgraded to maximum it will be increased to 10% per mutagen upgrade.

except now at 1.3 the mutagen drop rates are very low i now rarely get Greater Mutagens........unlike before, and the chance of getting mutagen when crafting upgraded to 10% seems like a waste of points to spend on a skill tree IMHO.you still get the same mutagens tho Critical/Vitality/Enhanced from ect...from monsters

on your'e 2nd question "when poisoned " means when you poison yourself by using the special ability (X) in combat, certain skills improves your damage,critical chance or Vigor.

OK. So the "when poisoned" feature is the Alchemy Tree equivalent to heliotrope and adrenaline?

I see from the wiki that the Alchemy Tree has five abilities that have mutagen slots compared to the three abilities in each of the other trees. So you'd need seven good mutagens, if you also get the two in the Training Tree. Easy to get this many with 1.2, harder with 1.3.

I'm not really impressed with the way they "fixed" the mutagen issue for 1.3. When I saw that they were letting you use them as alchemical ingredients, I was envisaging special potions that you could only make with mutagens - I guess that was wrong. If they're just substitutes for the existing ingredients, you're probably still as well using a cheaper ingredient for potions, and selling the mutagen.

I got two "madness" mutagens on my last run-through. On 1.3. Couldn't believe my luck :)