Ashton Silo choices? (SPOILER)

Gopher

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fallout Community, arguing about every DLC since Fallout 3 came out.

Could be worse, we could be arguing over hats :)

I suppose, but its silly to get angry at Obsidian for making you shoot a nuclear missle that could have killed people when it didn't.

I don't mean to be rude, but please read the thread before posting. Or if you did read it all, go back and read again. I am not abitrarily angry about what happened, but over the fact that it totally destroyed any immersive quality to the DLC. It basically turned that DLC into a mechanical process where you treat your character as a mindless avatar with no real existance or personality. I am angry that they made me do something only an idiot or a sociopath with suicidal tendancies would do when my character was neither. I knew I was releasing a missile, and I had no idea who it would hit, and indeed was worried it might just explode right there and then and kill me. This was not a morally grey choice or a difficult but neccessary decision I had to make. It was a premeditated act of insanity that I took for no other reason than the game mechanic required it to progress. I did it because I was sat at a keyboard and if my character died or killed a millio people it was not real. It may have been the least 'Fallout' like moment in my Fallout gaming history.

I think I am gonna mod this DLC. There were two things I was pretty sure of:

1. Opening that silo door was a grade A stupid thing to do.

2. Ulysses needed me to find him way more than I needed to find him. I just knew I was carrying something or had something he needed. I even guessed what that was correctly.

So for me, the perfect ending would have been to get on the phone with Ulysses, and tell him I was leaving him there to rot and let him go mental or force him to come to me. He needed me so badly it was painful to hear. It would have been exquisite payback for all his depressing speeches to leave him stuck there :)

What I really dont get, is why he didnt just go get the robot himself? Hes travelled everywhere we have been and more.

Your last two posts Bdthemag havent really added anything to the thread. I dont see how its silly to get annoyed at bad writing in whats supposed to be at least a semi sandbox/open game, nor how you can think just because someone has a goal like blowing up parts of the routes to the Mojave gives them the right to sit back and wait for someone to bring them something they need, when they could easily get it themselves.

And infact getting it himself would increase his chances of success, Ulysses already knew how tough the courier was, and that he would most likely make it through the divide, Its just not logical to involve a 2nd person with their own unconfirmed thoughts and ideals into such a plan when you can gather your own needed equipment with discretion and ease.

This brings up another problem I have: If the courier was such a tough badass before the Goodsprings incident, why was he such a complete wuss at the start of the game? One bullet to the head and he lost all his skills, specials and perks along with all his memories? And even worse, how did Benny and some wimpy Khans take out the badass courier? I mean the way Ulysses talks about you, you must have been a lvl 30+ mean machine back them. And I took benny and khans out at lvl 8 without breaking a sweat. The whole story sort of falls apart the more you look at it.

See at least the innocent vault dweller character in Fallout 1 and 3, and the innocent tribal in Fallout 2 had perfectly good excuses for being total wimps at the start and posessing no knowledge of the world.

Thats a typical "reset" mechanism used by a LOT of developers.

It is based in real life, when a person experiences a major brain injury/trauma and survives, that person usually and quite often must relearn how to do things, depending on what part of the brain was damaged. It's completely plausible. Afte that, its just a video game with game mechanics to help the player enjoy things more easily.

Or you could look at it simply as to much rest. You get laid up by a injury major or minor for awhile you will lose some finite motor coordination and muscular strength, as well as not practicing skills will start to loose your edge in it. Its not that unbelievable.

Now I use PN which makes me more or less as tough at lvl 1 as I am at lvl 30 (not in a "good" way either, in a smash your keyboard in frustration if you dont like hard games, sort of way.) and that makes it all far more believable for me considering the fact that 99% of the time I only succeed by player skill not character.

It is based in real life, when a person experiences a major brain injury/trauma and survives, that person usually and quite often must relearn how to do things, depending on what part of the brain was damaged. It's completely plausible. Afte that, its just a video game with game mechanics to help the player enjoy things more easily.

And how did you manage to get shot by a wimp like Benny and some Khans in the first place? I mean if you were a level 1 wimp yourself, it makes sense, but apparantly you are this awe inspiring badass courier who wandered the divide and went places entire battalions feared to tread. And yet a schmoe like Benny gets the drop on you? No, sorry, just not buying it. Benny and his goons would never have gotten the drop on such a character, and would have died if they had tried.

Sorry, it just does not run. It is yet another major flaw in the main story of the courier. This reminds me of a bad 'thriller' that ends and has me asking five thousand question starting with the words 'wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense ...'.

They need to go back to a classic fallout story for the next game. Keep it simple. You are level 1 and dont know dick about the world because you grew up in an isolated vault/village and give the character a history, with friends and family, and then give him a simple but believable reason for leaving. And for gods sake dont add things in the game that require you main character to be a grade A moron to actually progress the main quest.

No more Bathesda special starts please. Give me a classic fallout start any time.

And how did you manage to get shot by a wimp like Benny and some Khans in the first place? I mean if you were a level 1 wimp yourself, it makes sense, but apparantly you are this awe inspiring badass courier who wandered the divide and went places entire battalions feared to tread. And yet a schmoe like Benny gets the drop on you? No, sorry, just not buying it. Benny and his goons would never have gotten the drop on such a character, and would have died if they had tried.

Sorry, it just does not run. It is yet another major flaw in the main story of the courier. This reminds me of a bad 'thriller' that ends and has me asking five thousand question starting with the words 'wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense ...'.

They need to go back to a classic fallout story for the next game. Keep it simple. You are level 1 and dont know dick about the world because you grew up in an isolated vault/village and give the character a history, with friends and family, and then give him a simple but believable reason for leaving. And for gods sake dont add things in the game that require you main character to be a grade A moron to actually progress the main quest.

No more Bathesda special starts please. Give me a classic fallout start any time.

Look at this way: Yes, they got the drop on the Courier and managed to take the chip from him. On the other hand, not only is the Courier still awake for Benny's pregame monologue, he manages to survive a bullet to the head and being buried alive.

We also know that Benny couldn't pay the Khans after the job was done.

My theory? Benny spent all his caps on a Fat Man and some mininukes, plus an in-game ton of explosives to ambush the Courier. He wasn't too careful about it either, which is why the Khans are so badly beat up when you run into them - they got caught in the secondary explosives from the traps. Forget the NCR being in Boulder City. They had the Khans outnumbered by about two to one and still lost people as hostages. By the time you catch up to Benny again you've already got your skills back plus some. By the time you hit the game's level 30, you're so far past where you started that you can walk into Caesar's camp with a combat knife and a loin cloth and still pile up the corpses of his army.

I do agree about the "Don't launch option." Probably the second biggest script error since the original ending of FO3 from the sounds of it.