⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Ashton Silo choices? (SPOILER)

Gopher

I honestly don't see why one small flaw in the story ruins it for you guys. If its really that important to you, just make up a reason why your character launched the nuke.

I did. He is a moron and needs to be shot in the face again :)

To be honest, the story really never got me anyway. It was way too vague and disconnected. It felt like the plot to one of those sci-fi series where you secretly suspect the producers dont really have an endgame in mind when they made the pilot and you just watch because each individual episode is good. But as it gets close to the end of everyones interest they sort of feel the need to wrap things up and have it make sense and suddenly the hallucinations one of the main characters was having was not actually a hallucination but was an angel and so was one of the pilots .... we think .....

So it did not ruin the story in itself. I play the game for the sidequests (official and mods). I can just skip the last DLC if I ever replay it. It is not really an issue for me anymore. I am only really back on the thread because people keep replying to me and I am an insomniac :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meta-gaming is the problem here, plain and simple. Tefnacht could not have put it any better.

Honestly, there are toooooooo many flawed plot devices in the entire fallout series to rest all you laurels on this one meta-gaming issue. Just my opinion, of course. /shrug

I honestly don't see why one small flaw in the story ruins it for you guys. If its really that important to you, just make up a reason why your character launched the nuke.

I did. He is a moron and needs to be shot in the face again :)

To be honest, the story really never got me anyway. It was way too vague and disconnected. It felt like the plot to one of those sci-fi series where you secretly suspect the producers dont really have an endgame in mind when they made the pilot and you just watch because each individual episode is good. But as it gets close to the end of everyones interest they sort of feel the need to wrap things up and have it make sense and suddenly the hallucinations one of the main characters was having was not actually a hallucination but was an angel and so was one of the pilots .... we think .....

So it did not ruin the story in itself. I play the game for the sidequests (official and mods). I can just skip the last DLC if I ever replay it. It is not really an issue for me anymore. I am only really back on the thread because people keep replying to me and I am an insomniac :)

Yea that last bit of plot in BSG did suck pritty hard.

Meta-gaming is the problem here, plain and simple. Tefnacht could not have put it any better.

Honestly, there are toooooooo many flawed plot devices in the entire fallout series to rest all you laurels on this one meta-gaming issue. Just my opinion, of course. /shrug

Don't worry, I am not going to judge the entire series by this one thing. I still rank New Vegas as a damned good game no matter what. I got more than my moneys worth out of the game and the DLC so as much as I will complain about certain aspects, I am in no way condemning the game as a whole.

Well, we agree that BSG went from great to suck towards the end... dragging religion into sci-fi can be good, but not in that particular case...

Anyway... I think you misunderstand the point of vegas. In NV, more so than in other Fallout games, you affect the outcome. Sure, you had multiple endings in all fallout games, but the plot is very non-linear in NV (compared to other fallout games). I don't think you can really complain about anything in the game without condemning a dozen or so similar occurences in FO3 as well as NV. All in all, I think the nuke was good, as I see it as part of the spirit of the DLC.

My experience was this (playing a good guy/positive karma):

Kill a bunch of marked men and deathclaws. Run forward. See closed door. See console. What? Finish launch sequence? Nah, I bet it doesn't work. *push button* *silo starts opening* Ok, so do I have to climb in through the launch tube... ooooooooohhhh s***! Oh s*** oh s*** oh s***, the damn thing is launching! Please don't explode in the launch tube, please don't explode in the launch tube! Yes, it's gone... ooo... no, wait... is that too close? *BOOOOOOOOOOM* Phew... I'm alive! That was... unexpected >.>

And I think this was what the developers were really going for. You overanalysed the situation, and instead of an 'OMGWTF' moment, and a pleasant experience, you got this thread :/

Tbqfh, what bothered ME throughout the game was that while you're this demigod dude/dudette that goes around basically committing mass murder and strangling deathclaws (kinda like emptying cesar's whole camp single-handedly), no one fears you, people still say you might need their help and that some idiotically easy parts of the game are still labeled as dangerous (do the plant vault quest at level 50, and you'll see what I mean). I think the best story so far, was delivered by New Vegas Bounties... I especially enjoyed the part where you have to sneak into that bunker in NVBII, to get some info or whatever from an assasination company... I kinda 'pacified' everybody in there XD

P.S.: With my first post ITT I was going for some comedy, not insults. Ever seen Full Metal Jacket? Well I was going for the drill sergeant approach in that movie... imagine someone shouting my post at you at the top of their voice, a foot from your ear :P

The underestimation of your character was a lot worse in Fallout 3. At least in Fallout New Vegas there are times when people realize you are a badass unlike in Fallout 3 where you kill a freaking Gigantic mutant and they still think you cant handle yourself in a fight. Edited by ModelV

I think the best story so far, was delivered by New Vegas Bounties...

I absolutely 100% agree with that. I actually think if he released an update for that mod with some different voice actors for the bad guys, it would literally be DLC level content. Great dialogue aswell. People would be lining up to get cast in an updated version of that mod :)

I absolutely 100% agree with that. I actually think if he released an update for that mod with some different voice actors for the bad guys, it would literally be DLC level content. Great dialogue aswell. People would be lining up to get cast in an updated version of that mod :)

I should try that out, been meaning to get some more content for the game but didnt want to get anything half done. Or that would tilt the rest of the game plot wise in such a way as to make it not fit in.

New vegas bounties is great... I was skeptical at first, but the story is solid and the gameplay was, for once, challenging. I mean, I use increased wasteland spawns, hardcore mode and play on hard difficulty (very hard just seems so unreal... a fiend surviving with 15 .50 cal bullets in his/her brain is just stupid), yet the game seems very easy after you pass the lvl 15/20 mark. At 35 the victims in NVB provided enough firepower for the fights to get at least somewhat tactical and fun. Sure, I play a sniper/energy weapons guy (if there's one or two targets take them out without them ever noticing the scope's reflection in the distance, or run into a crowd with a tri-beam laser rifle dishing out the pain up-close and personal), so combat success is guaranteed, but damn, even in OWB and LR I had absolutely no problems although people complained about the lack of ammo and difficulty of the DLCs... the only creature that posed a slight challenge was the legendary boatfly, although eating all available chems (psycho, buffout, med-x, slasher, battle brew, etc.), an AMR shot to the brain followed by a mini nuke solved that problem quickly.

Tbh I hope New vegas bounties 3 comes out soon (or is it released already?), so I can massacre another long line of useless raiders and criminals, hopefully ending with the bear guy (forgot what the name was, but the baddest of the bad, supposedly worse than graham and ulysses combined).

"The underestimation of your character was a lot worse in Fallout 3. At least in Fallout New Vegas there are times when people realize you are a badass unlike in Fallout 3 where you kill a freaking Gigantic mutant and they still think you cant handle yourself in a fight."

Totally agree... The part I hated most was the pitt... I came there and killed the guards and everyone, but once I opened the door I was forced to watch my character being beaten, although I could have taken pretty much everyone in the pitt at the same time with my minigun/fat man/other forms of WMD and power armor... what a sad scene, at least the gas in Dead Money was kinda believable.

I should try that out, been meaning to get some more content for the game but didnt want to get anything half done. Or that would tilt the rest of the game plot wise in such a way as to make it not fit in.

It is totally isolated from the main quest, so you can do it at any time. The opponents vary in difficulty so you can start at lvl 5 or 6 and just do one contract every level or so. Or if you are 20+ you can probably manage them all as a single focused sprint. It is a lot of fun because whilst it is a simple concept, he adds a lot of character to the guy giving the missions, and you really get a feel for the bountiess you are hunting. The only downside is he did all the voive acting himself (whilst trying to sound different). And even that is forgivable because he is a pretty good voice actor.