Problem with Two Mods

Which may turn out to be a good thing, rather than a bad thing.

I got my start by editing someone else's ESP. If instead somebody just made the changes I wanted I would not have gotten that start, so in a way they wouldn't have been helping me but instead hindering me from learning something that brings me great enjoyment today.

So let me get this straight ... Realswords adds armor to Burd you want him to have. I just looked at Realswords - Nord LO-NPC SI.esp and tbskGuardsFeatures.esp in Wrye Bash and both use the INVENT bash tag. Now in my BOSS sorted load order Realswords is higher in my load order than tbskGuardsFeatures so that means that because both use the same bash tag the one that is lower (closer to the bottom) will win any time they both want to change the same NPC's inventory (i.e. Burd will wear what tbsk wants him to wear).

All I would need to do to change that is switch the two mod's order. If Realswords Nord is lower in my load order than tbskGuardsFeatures Burd will wear what Realswords gives him. Sure there may be some other things that tbsk did that may be lost, but Burd will be sporting a winged hat and whatever boots it was you wanted.

The reason for no Burd armor (I believe, as I wasn't looking over your shoulder to see how you tried what you tried, and you were pretty sparse with the details of what "edit Burd" entailed) is because you tried to simply add the hat and boots to Burd (another guess ... you had both Realswords Nord and tbsk loaded in the CS at the same time, with tbsk active but didn't create a new Form (a new item) in the tbsk ESP and just dragged the hat and boots into his inventory ...won't work in the regular CS but will using Construction Set Extender).

Don't let me discourage you. I personally only learn from making mistakes so I wouldn't expect otherwise for anybody else.

With the tbsk active in the CS right click in the right hand pane of the Object window and select New after you have selected Armor in the left hand pane of the Object window (so all the armor is listed on the right side). Give it a unique FormID at the top field where it says ID (maybe MyBurdsWingedHelmet) and a name just below that (maybe Burd's Winged Helmet). Assign Weight, Light or Heavy, Health, Armor Rating (AR) and Value (hint do some research by loading Realswords Nord and write down some of this stuff, unless you want to be creative of course). Assign a slot in the Biped Object field (head in this case) and then you will use the Add NIF File, World Model (the _gnd.nif) and Icon Image buttons to open a dialogue box allowing you to navigate to where those things are in your game folders (you will need to have Realswords Nord installed before all this of course). You end by adding your new MyBurdsWingedHelmet to Burd's inventory and save.

Now for this to work you will always need those files you "borrowed" from Realswords Nord left in their respective folders, even if you uninstalled Realswords Nord someday.

You could also create your own ESP (maybe MyBurdsInventory.esp) and add to Burd's inventory using the same method (i.e. create a patch). Your patch would need to be always kept lower in your load order than both tbsk and Realswords Nord, and I'd add a bash tag INVENT so that your bashed patch gets it right. The first way and you don't need to learn how to add bash tags, the second you probably should (considering that both tbsk and Realswords do use bash tags, and the bashed patch is normally kept at the bottom of your load order ... alternatively just keep MyBurdsInventory.esp below your bashed patch, bash tag problem solved).

You have a cat to skin, and cats can be skinned in more than one way.

No. Tbsk gives Burd some special armor that I want him to wear. However, Realswords wants him to wear a normal guard uniform. I tried to fix it by replacing the one in his inventory with the special one from tbsk in TES CS. I did this in an esp I made myself called Burd Patch.esp, and when I put it on, he was just wearing normal clothing. I went into the CS again, and it turns out that not only did they not save my new uniform, but they completely got rid of a uniform for him.

I'll read over everything that you said and you can read what I said above if you want.

Don't let a small success get in the way of greater glory.

I don't even install most of the mods that I "borrow" stuff from. You need to pay attention to what textures a mesh needs and the exact folder path to that texture. A handy tool for getting that info is NifSkope.

Maybe it's a good thing that I will shortly be away from my gaming computer ... if you spent too much time listening to me you'd be in danger of becoming a modder.

Give it time ... start small and work your way up.

I've got a busy day tomorrow getting ready to leave, so I'm off to bed. Don't stay up all night "starting small" or "working your way up".