ideas to protect your mods? fallout 4

illidari1221

At the risk of being digitally stoned, here is a solution that will work. But EVERYONE is going to hate it.

Require a credit card when registering users and verify the credit card. Folks will be unlikely to steal when they have lost their anonymity.

Not everyone owns a credit card or can afford a credit card. I don't own one and if I did it'd be only for emergencies and not online purchases. You also have that needing a credit card is a huge security risk as someone could hack the forum and welp, there goes my personal information.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modders could always start making mods that ruin save games as a last ditch form of revenge. they could even bloat your hard disk till its full of fallout saves.

Modders who do that should be ostracized from the community. That is literally the biggest jerk move and will cause more problems and eventually force the devs and mod hosting sites to join together to remove them.

You're not even just punishing thieves, you're punishing people who also didn't know better. You would be worse then the thieves.

Modders could always start making mods that ruin save games as a last ditch form of revenge. they could even bloat your hard disk till its full of fallout saves.

Gee, I wonder where you ever got that idea...

Seriously, just don't go there. It's dark and you don't have a torch. You may be eaten by a grue.

Historically, DRM has only affected the consumer of the product. It has never stopped piracy and it never will. Gabe Newell said the best way to stop piracy is to provide a better service than the pirates.

For modders, it would be uploading their content before the pirates do. Or at the very least, upload it in general. By being the actual author of the mod you can provide support the pirates never can. Upload your mods and support them. People will recognize you as the real mod author, and by default, you will be offering the superior version of the mod.

NOTE:

Of course this only applies to mods that can be ported to console. Many mods will not be portable, and that in and of itself will prevent any meaningful piracy. The world will catch on that those mods will either not work or will break your save games on console. There is no need to concern ourselves with what is essentially a broken mod (as far as consoles are concerned, they're fine here on PC).

Yes it is always good to give into extortion to make the extortion not work anymore!

The victim blaming has gone out of hand, because we don't upload and give in to the demands of the entitled, they steal, and the best way to combat the theft, id to give in to the entitled demands. That is so stupid and pansy ass waste *sigh* I'd give you the full monty but then someone would have to shut down the thread. Listen, use google, check "Appeasement WWII" see how well this has worked before, and how stupid it is to do.

Not to mention you are now saying "WORK HARDER MA'S BEFORE THEY STEAL YOUR STUFF" except last I checked, dogtooth and unoctium have been playing the "When was our mods stolen today" game, not IF, but WHEN. the time they are taking to fight theft is probably 5-1 over the time they get to mod. This is a great brave new world. I love how the onus of responsibility and workload in ANYONE'S FLIPPING MIND is on the victim to do more to prevent theft, not the stupid company hosting.

Frankly everyone can suck it. Just like every damn time the Nexus Elite Council get's involved with anything, the only people who are getting screwed are us peasants. No doubt Bethesda needs to hire at least one moderator, or better yet a bakers dozen for support, but at this point all I've seen is arrogant pricks getting everyone's mods removed, except their own, and starting ANOTHER FRENZY. Can you guys please just not? Jesus, every time anything happens here comes the Nexus Elite Council of mod authors. "We made mods for Morrowind!" Who gives a crap? Remember when Fallout 4 launched and the N.E.C (I made a nick name :D) decided it was their duty to get everyone's mods removed because they were unsafe! When that didn't work, they just started a psycho panic that us authors actually making mods had to deal with. However when a jackass stole my mod and than for some insane reason talked trash on me in the description he got a semi-firm warning. He posts the CBBE body....Holy baby Jesus INSTA-BAN on every site that ever hosted a mod!!! Now the Council MUST get their claws into Bethesda.net. Oh, and we can't wait to be told what, when, where, and how to do things. We were getting sick of freedom of thought any ways. Admittedly this is a weird position for me. Mod theft sucks balls, and Bethesda needs to do a million things before they'll even pass for a mod site, but I'm also sick and tired of the same damn people showing up and somehow I get screwed every time. It's always over dramatic, wickedly arrogant, self obsessed and an overall big hoopla. "Copyright infringement, and it's my art, and the theft is stealing and they should burn in hell!" No. The mods should be removed. That's all. Your not losing money. Just make sure the mods get removed, and move on. No need to start a civil war with a dash of apocalypse "cuz sum won stol ma mod!!!" The real problem is that too many people listen to you guys. They have no brains and running around like rabid parrots. Well, we're sick of your minions. They are worse than mod thieves. If at least there were nuts I could kick I'd feel better, but I'm guessing there are none to be kicked. Anyways. I'm off getting banned. See ya guys. Woot-Woot!

Historically, DRM has only affected the consumer of the product. It has never stopped piracy and it never will. Gabe Newell said the best way to stop piracy is to provide a better service than the pirates.

For modders, it would be uploading their content before the pirates do. Or at the very least, upload it in general. By being the actual author of the mod you can provide support the pirates never can. Upload your mods and support them. People will recognize you as the real mod author, and by default, you will be offering the superior version of the mod.

NOTE:

Of course this only applies to mods that can be ported to console. Many mods will not be portable, and that in and of itself will prevent any meaningful piracy. The world will catch on that those mods will either not work or will break your save games on console. There is no need to concern ourselves with what is essentially a broken mod (as far as consoles are concerned, they're fine here on PC).

Yes it is always good to give into extortion to make the extortion not work anymore!

The victim blaming has gone out of hand, because we don't upload and give in to the demands of the entitled, they steal, and the best way to combat the theft, id to give in to the entitled demands. That is so stupid and pansy ass waste *sigh* I'd give you the full monty but then someone would have to shut down the thread. Listen, use google, check "Appeasement WWII" see how well this has worked before, and how stupid it is to do.

Not to mention you are now saying "WORK HARDER MA'S BEFORE THEY STEAL YOUR STUFF" except last I checked, dogtooth and unoctium have been playing the "When was our mods stolen today" game, not IF, but WHEN. the time they are taking to fight theft is probably 5-1 over the time they get to mod. This is a great brave new world. I love how the onus of responsibility and workload in ANYONE'S FLIPPING MIND is on the victim to do more to prevent theft, not the stupid company hosting.

Frankly everyone can suck it. Just like every damn time the Nexus Elite Council get's involved with anything, the only people who are getting screwed are us peasants. No doubt Bethesda needs to hire at least one moderator, or better yet a bakers dozen for support, but at this point all I've seen is arrogant pricks getting everyone's mods removed, except their own, and starting ANOTHER FRENZY. Can you guys please just not? Jesus, every time anything happens here comes the Nexus Elite Council of mod authors. "We made mods for Morrowind!" Who gives a crap? Remember when Fallout 4 launched and the N.E.C (I made a nick name :D) decided it was their duty to get everyone's mods removed because they were unsafe! When that didn't work, they just started a psycho panic that us authors actually making mods had to deal with. However when a jackass stole my mod and than for some insane reason talked trash on me in the description he got a semi-firm warning. He posts the CBBE body....Holy baby Jesus INSTA-BAN on every site that ever hosted a mod!!! Now the Council MUST get their claws into Bethesda.net. Oh, and we can't wait to be told what, when, where, and how to do things. We were getting sick of freedom of thought any ways. Admittedly this is a weird position for me. Mod theft sucks balls, and Bethesda needs to do a million things before they'll even pass for a mod site, but I'm also sick and tired of the same damn people showing up and somehow I get screwed every time. It's always over dramatic, wickedly arrogant, self obsessed and an overall big hoopla. "Copyright infringement, and it's my art, and the theft is stealing and they should burn in hell!" No. The mods should be removed. That's all. Your not losing money. Just make sure the mods get removed, and move on. No need to start a civil war with a dash of apocalypse "cuz sum won stol ma mod!!!" The real problem is that too many people listen to you guys. They have no brains and running around like rabid parrots. Well, we're sick of your minions. They are worse than mod thieves. If at least there were nuts I could kick I'd feel better, but I'm guessing there are none to be kicked. Anyways. I'm off getting banned. See ya guys. Woot-Woot!

The thing, is if someone steals your mod and uploads it to Bethesda.net, and it breaks saves, people will go to you to complain, not the thief.

NOTE:

The thing, is if someone steals your mod and uploads it to Bethesda.net, and it breaks saves, people will go to you to complain, not the thief.

Yea Bethesda really needs to step up their whole game on the issue. Honestly I'm hoping that they've been developing a new site since the Jive one is so god awful, that's why they've been slow to respond. Probably not likely though :\ this whole thing is just not good at showing Bethesda as a competent dev when it comes to website design or response time.

Honestly DRM wouldn't be that hard to put into your code if you know how.

DD productions figured out how to do it in just a couple hours.

Sadly Loverslab isn't further along in their development of mods otherwise you could make it so that if the mod is detected on a platform you don't want it on it would cause a very large, incredibly fast invulnerable death claw to graphically rape the player character to death whenever a saved game is loaded.

Honestly DRM wouldn't be that hard to put into your code if you know how.

Sadly Loverslab isn't further along in their development of mods otherwise you could make it so that if the mod is detected on a platform you don't want it on it would cause a very large, incredibly fast invulnerable death claw to graphically rape the player character to death whenever a saved game is loaded.

And removing DRM wouldn't be hard either, all you need to do is figure out how. There is also the fact that it doesn't effect mod piracy in the fullest. It's the poor man's DRM that actually doesn't work.

He claims he did it in 25 minutes and "It was so easy".

If you have confidence in a 'DRM' that took 25 minutes to design go right ahead.

Keep in mind nobody has used his '25 minute plum pie DRM®', because he hasn't shown it or used it yet.

I would highly recommend everyone avoid the, as yet fictitious, '25 minute plum pie DRM' you mention.