Skyrim SE and 64 bit, what does it mean

l0new0lf331

64 bit is great but isn't the magic solution to all modding related issues... expecting that is overly positive imo.

Yeah this has been my thinking on the subject. I guess I was wondering if it will open up more ways or possibilities for skilled modders to make use of workarounds, etc. I know the engine has a lot of limitations especially concerning animations and script handling. I also understand that if Bethesda does not fix it at their end, then modders won't likely to be able to. Having the program capable of more than 3.1GB of system RAM before crash will be great and a more stable modded Skyrim is something to look forward to.

Now I have to reinstall and mod it.

as you will now be able to blow right past the old mod limit (256 plug-ins, if I remember correctly) and get the most out of your texture-heavy mods. Also, you won't have to bash together mods in a patch to keep under the old 256 plug-in limit. This will also contribute to stability.

There has been no indication that the engine has been changed on such a fundamental level to allow for more than 253 plugins (Skyrim.esm, Update.esm and the savegame are required leaving 253). I highly doubt this will have changed in the SE for Skyrim as to my knowledge it hasn't changed at all when it comes to Fallout 4 which is the engine the SE is based on.

Right after that happens, you can expect to see a lot of mod authors start updating their mods through the CK to work for the new 64-bit version along with SKSE so that we get the new, prettier and more stable game along with all the awesome MCM equipped mods we've been using with the old 32-bit engine.

MCM requires SkyUI which will not be updated by the original authors so it's future is unknown as well. Barring it needing zero updates and SKSE being ready to go right away, it won't be available for a good while until another person/team takes on the task of updating it. And generally speaking, mod updates right after the new CK releases is also highly speculative as this is a nearly 5 year old game and many authors may have moved on and have no intention of getting back into modding this game.

"SkyUI", -yeah, I should have remembered that. We WILL need SKSE too, but you're right about SkyUI for a lot of mods. Unfortunately, schlangster (one of SkyUI's mod authors) has indeed reported that they will not be updating the mod. He did mention that he would not object to someone(s) else updating the mod, but that would take someone stepping forward with good modding chops. I certainly don't have them. So, yeah -either other mods have to work around SkyUI or hope that someone DOES decide to tackle that update.

I agree that it is highly speculative, but I still believe that a LOT (as in a majority) of the mod authors of the top 200+ rated mods WILL update their mods. I don't have proof of this, but I do think it will happen. (Although the ones that rely on SkyUI will obviously have a lot more work to make them function.) And I believe that many of those mods will be updated within 3 to 6 months of SKSE (and SkyUI) being re-released.

I may be in for some disappointment (in terms of how long we have to wait and how many of the popular mods get updated) and I'll be the first to admit that I may be feeling too positive about this subject. But I still think it's going to happen.

As for the plug-in limit, I thought that THIS 64-bit engine was a bit different from FO4 in this regard. But I'm not certain. Anyone here with specific info on the SE of Skyrim vs. FO4 regarding plug-in limits? Can you quote any sources?