About Me!

kungfubellydancer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome...announcing your gender might be your un-doing, and the un-doing of the forums. Watch as anarchy descends as we scramble for our caveman clubs...

Nah, cavemen are too heavy. I say stick with baseball bats and lengths of pipe.

Here in America we believe sub-machine guns are even lighter,

not to mention faster.

Way too many of us do. We seem to get a lot of practice in on each other I'm told. If you read the papers, which of course I don't.

The only holster I ever owned was for a slideruler I used in the 70's

:biggrin:

:) You won't have to worry about me - I treat everyone pretty much the same. Of course, I tend to treat the ladies with more chivalry, so I guess I don't treat everyone equally... :rolleyes:

...I don't treat everyone equally... :rolleyes:

SEXIST!

:P

I'm not necessarily 'nicer' to ladies, but I'm not as harsh in my insults...I'm not sure if that's better... :unsure:

...but do 10 year olds know such vocabulary?

I don't have a link on hand, but there's an article written by Sarah Glazer that talks about how video games could possibly be the best form of learning available, even better than school. That's because we (according to extensive research) remember 10% of what we see, 20% of what we hear, and 90% of what we do ourselves. If someone is playing something like Civilization, (s)he is taking an active part in history, thus remembering more of the historical facts than if (s)he was just reading them out of a book.

You might be right, but most kids are playing GTA rather than civilization. If they'd learn anything its how to steal and get away with murder.

Can I make an off-topic statement? People say that kids who play video games can grow up to be violent individuals. Okay, first of all, where are most of the violent people living? In ghettos? You think they have $200 to go buy an xbox and another $60 to buy a game? I don't think so. If they're lucky they could steal one. How about those civil wars in Africa? Think those poor families with no food, money, or homes have fancy playstations? My entire family, including me and the siblings, have been playing video games since a young age, and we are hardly violent. I mean, I can shoot up a guy in video game, but if I saw a dead man in real life I think I'd die of shock and/or suffer emotional/psychological trauma. Besides, people in the old days like Vikings and Mongols were violent people, but they didn't have xboxes or PC's back then, did they? Video games making people violent is bull.

But video-game addiction, in my opinion, is a real phenomenon.

Actually, that is complete nonsense. There are some very clearly defined criteria for addictions, and not a single case of video game "addiction" has met all those requirements.

Actually, that is complete nonsense. There are some very clearly defined criteria for addictions, and not a single case of video game "addiction" has met all those requirements.

Actually, that is NOT complete nonsense - I won't say it's not happening, but I am 100% positive that there are people who are or have been addicted to playing video games. But to obliviously state it's not happening is blatant ignorance.

@ kungfubellydancer: I completely agree with you that video games aren't necessarily to blame for making people violent, but I can see why certain individuals (Sen. Joe Lieberman comes to mind... :rolleyes: ) would want to enforce more strictness when it comes to violence in video games. Of course, I'd say today we're just as violent as the Vikings and Mongols (or maybe even more so... :unsure: ) The reason this may not seem so is because of our conditioned nature, our intelligence, and our morals (whatever they may be).

Actually, that is NOT complete nonsense - I won't say it's not happening, but I am 100% positive that there are people who are or have been addicted to playing video games. But to obliviously state it's not happening is blatant ignorance.

On CQResearcher, there is an article about video games written by Sarah Glazer. In this article,there is a section entitled "Are Video Games Addictive?" In that section, it talks about how these "addictions" do not meet the requirements of true addictions. One of those is withdrawal. People don't suffer from withdrawal when they're not playing video games. If there is no withdrawal, there is no addiction.

Archived