"missing facegen tint map", etc. when editing vanilla NPC in SE CK

LazyAltmer

Yeah this issue is happening with me as well

FemaleHeadKhajiit.nif : _KhajiitFemale is missing a facegen tint map

FemaleHeadKhajiit.nif : _KhajiitFemale is missing a facegen detail map

EyesKhajiitFemale.nif : EyesKhajiitFemale is missing an environment mask map

<Sighs>

So I did what any person would do: Google.

Hell, even the USEP C.K. offered a solution which did not fix the issue.

Whelp looks like this girl is going to have a dark face until Bethesda gets off their ass and fixes it.

Which will be.....Never.

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue - been trying to fix for 2 weeks.

The Ctrl-F4 "fix" does nothing. If I use the set weight command in game it fixes them until a major zone but that gets really tiresome. What is baffling is that it also effects characters when I dont actually edit their appearance but just change some stats.

I also cant edit any war paint, dirt etc because those dont show up in the preview in the CK or in the game on any edited NPCs.

I'm not doing anything drastic or that deals with other mods. Just changing a hair color or beard style

Modders are creating custom NPCs so this isnt effecting everyone. Are we all just dumb and doing something wrong.

Edited by naufragus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Similar issue. Vanilla npc edit. Not even messing with the textures, just stats. And the "ignore because it's an npc" thing doesn't work for me. I change just about anything else it saves fine but if I try to save after those errors show, CK crashes before it successfully saves.

Similar issue. Vanilla npc edit. Not even messing with the textures, just stats. And the "ignore because it's an npc" thing doesn't work for me. I change just about anything else it saves fine but if I try to save after those errors show, CK crashes before it successfully saves.

Ah yes, the dreaded vanilla black face bug. Had a fun row with that.

First you have to check your data/textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm folder and

data/meshes/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom

That is where all of the vanilla edits are stored and they will overwrite whatever you are doing. You should also see a folder with your modname.esp.

Rename the folder to Skyrim.esm1 (or something else so you have a back up.

Now select your modname.esp folder and rename it, too.

Load your mod into the CK and when it is finished select SAVE. Now select those vanilla NPC's by packs of 10-20 (depending on how sturdy your rig is) and select Ctrl+F4.

When you are finished, looksee into your skyrim.esm folder and modname.esp folder in their mesh and texture locations. Voila! Fixes, fixes everywhere.

If you are packing this mod for others to use, make sure you pull those files into the archive maker so they are for sure there.

Happy modding :smile:

• 5 weeks later...

First you have to check your data/textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm folder and

That is where all of the vanilla edits are stored and they will overwrite whatever you are doing. You should also see a folder with your modname.esp.

Load your mod into the CK and when it is finished select SAVE. Now select those vanilla NPC's by packs of 10-20 (depending on how sturdy your rig is) and select Ctrl+F4.

When you are finished, looksee into your skyrim.esm folder and modname.esp folder in their mesh and texture locations. Voila! Fixes, fixes everywhere.

If you are packing this mod for others to use, make sure you pull those files into the archive maker so they are for sure there.

But you still get the error that the tint map and detail map are missing. Is that ok? And if so, why?

Ok, I tried this with Interesting NPCs and fixed Felena only - even though her character gave me the tint map/detail map errors. (I copied the resulting DDS file back to the backup of the 3NPC.esp folders I made and renamed that backup folder back to 3NPC.esp. I decided not to do all the characters until I made sure it worked.)

And it WORKED!!! Felena no longer has a black face.

Thanks so much. This is the first time I have understood the instructions enough to do it...or maybe I just decided to sit down and try again and for whatever reason it made sense this time.

• 4 months later...

What about Vanilla NPC's? I am having a problem with Orthjolf and another vampire in castle Volkihar. Most of the npcs don't have grey face, just a few. I exported their face gen from the CK but I also got the missing tint errors and the problem was not fixed. I tried renaming the folder and exporting them again and the two files were in the Dawnguard.esm folder, but no luck.

Here is the thing. When I change their weight (setnpcweight 50) they reload and their face is colored normal. I can even save the game and reload the save and their face is fine. But if I leave the cell and come back in, their faces are reverted to grey again. So the tint mask is there I think its just not loading when the cell loads for some reason.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edit* Ok I found the problem. Better Vampire NPC's was causing it, there is a no appearance change version that solved that issue.

Edited by Dampiel01

• 3 weeks later...