[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Firstly, congrats to antistar on the beth.net interview (bit late so say it, I know).

And secondly, aye; the Deliverer BF1 Animations mod is/has/uses a new animation set and doesn't affect any mod's weapon(s) that use the (Deliverer's) vanilla animations or standard replacers of them

(or atleast I've never had any such issues (and the mod's description ofc. rightly says I shouldn't) through my time using it, and I have used/tried a number of vanilla-animations pistols during).

Thanks. :)

And thanks for the info on that Deliverer mod.

This mod is phat thicc in all of the best ways? Have you been following Cascadia with any level of interest? I would love to hear about any mods WIP or otherwise you are interested in so I can take a look at them. Aside from Ammotweaks framework update. We all moistin over that one.

AmmoTweaks is the big one for me, yeah. I haven't been following other WIP mods incredibly closely, but I am interested in seeing what the big mods like Cascadia, Miami and F4NV are able to do. I check in on them sometimes, and they're always impressive.

There are a few mods I'd really like to see getting made, and I think I'm always kind of looking out for someone tackling what I have in mind. One is a comprehensive death alternative mod that means you never die (except in cases where it would break quest scripting maybe), but are instead captured/robbed/rescued/etc depending on who you're fighting, which companion/s you have with you, your faction relations, etc. There's a lot that could be done with it, but I think it'd be a huge undertaking to do well.

Another is a mod where settlement ownership is handled kind of like in Jagged Alliance: Back In Action, where you get hostile forces moving around on the map that can re-take locations you've captured. Ideally handled in a way where you can see the current location of these forces on the map, plus info like their faction, heading, composition, origin, etc - maybe requiring certain structures built at your settlements to access this intel. Then you could go out to meet them, wait for them to attack, or whatever. Maybe they're coming from another settlement currently held by an enemy faction and you could stop their attacks if you take that settlement?

Again I think a lot could be done there, but it'd be pretty challenging. I imagine Sim Settlements: Conqueror does some of this, but not having tried it yet, I'm not sure how much.

I was also wondering if you had considered making your own skill/perk setup using LevelUpMenuEx at all? I think it would be fun to have a wide variety of perks to choose as you level up as in the old days. I imagine that would be a pretty hefty task though. Also is it possible to create a skill or perk or something of the like that improves over time I.E. improved accuracy and reload speed with pistols from using pistols against enemies?

No, I haven't given much thought to a perk/skill overhaul like that; like you said, it'd be a huge amount of work considering how much of the game it would interact with.

And I'm sure something like that is possible, but it's getting into "completely replacing the perk/levelling system with an Elder Scrolls style system" territory - which again, would be tons of work.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I decided to check out zestoflemons BF1 deliverer mod for myself to see if it wouldn't interfere with pistol mods that use the deliverers vanilla animations and sure enough it doesn't, which is awesome, I can use that along with FGs deliverer reanimation replacer for pistol mods, used Icestorms Hk Mark 23 to compare, so thank you Antistar for pointing that one out to me, and thank you Tenurialrope3 for mentioning it to begin with along with information about it not interfering with vanilla deliverer animations, it was most helpful.

Side note looks good with dangermouses stainless steel deliverer retexture (;

As far as getting kidnapped when dying in a fight that could be really quite interesting. I suppose it could send you to an interior cell of the faction and automatically respawn the enemies if that cell has been cleared. Then I assume you would figure out how to recover your gear and make your escape.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17902 Does something similar to what I am describing though it modifies damage which is something I imagine you wouldn't want for your mod. I wonder if you could use this is a framework for something like that? Not sure how they pulled it off.

I wouldn't want to do something like that by half-measures - in other words only having that one specific thing get better through use (the Elder Scrolls approach) rather than by increasing stats at level-up (the Fallout approach).

As far as getting kidnapped when dying in a fight that could be really quite interesting. I suppose it could send you to an interior cell of the faction and automatically respawn the enemies if that cell has been cleared. Then I assume you would figure out how to recover your gear and make your escape.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Other potential outcomes like being robbed and left for dead (with or without being rescued afterwards) might lead to interesting situations like - well, maybe you'll have the chance to get your stuff back, but in the meantime, better hope you had some backup gear and supplies stashed somewhere. ;)

While I'm here; the M1911 textures are coming along well, I think. The standard (generally blued, in other words) textures are basically done, and I'm working on the stainless steel versions now. It also just occurred to me (while looking at the pieces in Substance Painter with some blued and some stainless) that it would be pretty easy to set up two-tone material options, so I might do that. E.g. a stainless frame with a blued slide, or vice-versa.

I guess it'd increase the texture memory required in many cases though, so... we'll see.

Okay, here are some shots of the M1911 in Substance Painter:

- M1911 01

- M1911 02

- M1911 03

- M1911 04

- M1911 05

I'll have another five shots to show tomorrow.

To copy-paste some info from the Nexus image share posts as a recap:

The base M1911 itself is from this beautiful resource by Isildur - with some minor tweaks on my end. Just about all the other parts, attachments and skins for the M1911 are mine from scratch though. The exceptions are the foregrip and Cutts compensator, which are based on sgtbarney's models, with changes by me.

The "baby machinegun" configuration is one of the notable setups available. There will be the option for full-auto, though it'll have quite the kick, so the stock, vertical foregrip and compensator are recommended.

The other notable setup is of course the iconic Hardballer Longslide with gigantic 1980s laser sight from The Terminator. I have to be honest, this configuration is probably the main reason I've wanted to include an M1911 in WARS since basically the start of the project. I may have made the LPC Laser Sight earlier in the project and used it on the Mini-14 and M29 Revolver, but my ultimate aim was always to use it on the M1911 eventually.

As a side-note, with this laser sight you'll be able to choose between using the standard iron-sights on the slide or a version with the backup iron-sights seen in that shot of the M29 there.

Next up is getting all this in-game, but...

Work on the mod may be slow for a while, as my dad was recently diagnosed with cancer in one of his kidneys and his lungs. He's not in any of the normal risk groups - seriously, normally I'd be wondering if he's possibly in better shape than I am (and I'm in reasonable shape) - so it was just extremely bad luck, it seems. He'll be starting on chemo sometime soon. It's... going to be weird seeing him without a beard. He's had one since before I was born.

So yes, things are bad in my life at the moment. (What is it with this year? 2020 has to be the most cursed year I've been alive for, at least.) It may be that I won't have much time to work on the mod... or it may be that working on it will be a good distraction. I don't know yet.

The 1911 looks great, not much else to say on that right now.

More importantly; saddening for me to hear that bit of personal news. I hope it turns out as well as it can, I really do.

My well-wishes to your father.

I'm sorry if my sympathy for you doesn't come through in this text, but I do feel it.

Not gonna lie. That M1911 baby machine gun configuration gives me conniptions. I cannot see that being anything approaching practical.

As for everything else... I can't do anything more than wish you and your family the best. Be well,Antistar. Stand by your old man's side.

Thanks everyone. For now I can only wait and hope for the best.

Here's the second lot of five shots of the M1911 I mentioned yesterday:

- M1911 06
- M1911 07
- M1911 08
- M1911 09
- M1911 10

So in these shots you can see:

- The pistol with its suppressor - in both blued and stainless. The suppressor is based loosely on the Hushpuppy suppressor.

- A close-up showing the glow sights. Not pictured is the interior parts of the "dots" actually glowing, because that's something I'll set up in Nifskope later.

- A bunch of magazines! There are 7-round, 10-round and 25-round mags to choose from. (The other three are just there to show the difference between the blued and stainless skins.)

- A vaguely period-appropriate taclight, based on vintage Eveready flashlights. I doubt there were any in quite these dimensions, but the overall style is pretty close, I think. As with the LPC Laser Sight, there will be the choice between using the standard iron-sights on the slide and using backup iron-sights mounted on the flashlight.

- A muzzle brake. Altogether this makes three muzzle options; the Cutts compensator, muzzle brake and suppressor. (Oh right, and there'll probably also be basically the same Osprey suppressor used on the Glock.)

Not gonna lie. That M1911 baby machine gun configuration gives me conniptions. I cannot see that being anything approaching practical.

Relevant is this part from the "Baby Machinegun" article I linked to above:

Our shop had a firing range in the basement, and when he was experimenting with a Model 1911 on full automatic, the 3rd or 4th round went off directly over head, through the floor, and I was visiting above at the time. It scared him so much that he invented and installed a compensator on the muzzle to control the recoil.