[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Also I just wanted to say I am really glad you decided to remove the absurd .50 conversion from standard hunting rifles. They literally already have an existing AMR in their previous titles so that one felt especially like a strange slap in the face to weapon variety.

That is probably one of the more major complaints I have with Fallout 4. They don't have that many different weapon calibers in the game in the first place and somehow they can't manage to put enough unique weapons in the game to cover most of them without just lazily slapping a caliber conversion onto a weapon it has no business being on?!?!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of like the situation with peep sights in games right Antistar lol.

I personally find the front sight on larger end pistols to not be so bad in games, like Icestorms HK Mark 23 or en7evens 1911s, it's the smaller ones that kind of lose out for that.

Wait you're doing a Walther PPK?! In accurate chambering?! Any pictures? (:

Yep, I was thinking especially of the peep sights in New Vegas there. They're apparently pretty good in the physical world, but obviously not great in-game.

Haha, sorry; the Walther PPK is just a non-unique version of Deliverer. Deliverer is still in as a unique, but it will also be in .32 ACP or (more likely) .380 ACP rather than 10mm Auto, so it's going to be less powerful than the 10mm Pistol (now the Glock), rather than more powerful, as in vanilla.

In WARS the PPK is actually the new baseline pistol (not including Pipe guns), at least for now; for example I replaced the 10mm Pistol you find in Vault 111 with one.

Ah. I suppose I just like the idea of having unique things out in the world to discover considering how sparse the more unique content in Fallout 4 is compared to previous Fallout titles. Just looking at the list of quests in Fallout 4 that aren't generic radiant fetch and kill quests made me a little sad at how small it was.

Perhaps you if time allows later on, you could have rarer or unique versions of certain guns maybe made of a durable material or something idk. Maybe just some trumped up bulls*** lore behind them so that they don't have to be repaired as often and someone who is a fan of the mod could as skins for them or something. I miss having those All-American/A Light Shining in the Darkness excitement moments. I simply suggested Caliber as it is the most straightforward and simple way I could think of to make the weapon more unique.

I was wondering how varied the modification on weapons dropping in the world will be. If the weapons are only going to be dropping with more base modifications you could add pre modified version into the game which is what I imagine you are likely doing already. Also how much work would it be to make custom legendary effects just those unique weapons. Maybe Legendary effects that combine 2 of them together to make something a little more unique or even just pumping up the values a bit to have them stand out and be noteworthy would be really cool.

Really wish some mod authors would add one or two more towns/quest hubs in the more sparsely populated areas of the map just to fill out the base Fallout 4 experience a bit more because the stuff that is good in the game is done pretty well.

It really kinda drives me crazy that there is such a strong framework with Fallout 4 but with some generally lackluster execution. I am really hoping there will be a strong modding scene behind Fallout Cascadia when it releases in probably 1 and half years at the earliest. I would love to do a base playthrough of a more fleshed out RPG experience in this engine and then have the opportunity to experience that again with your work on this ported over by some enthusiastic fans.

BTW I have literally all of the time in the world right now as I am out of work and locked up in my home so if there is anything that isn't a priority for you to get done that you think a beginner modder could figure out with some level of perseverance I would be willing to look in to toying around with it. (I.E. some spicier versions of unique weapons legendary effects.)

I do like the idea of alternate weapon skins, like I said; it's just a lot of work when you factor in all the separate parts and attachments for all the weapons. I am doing a bit of that, though; for example the M1911 will have its standard blued material and also a stainless steel option. (Gotta have it for the Hardballer Longslide.)

It's hard to come up with really unique Legendary weapon effects that don't stray into being "magical" - I went to a lot of effort to take Legendary effects like that out. (There's info on that in the draft features list in the second post.) But I am trying for some of that with some named weapons. E.g. if I do the "combat knife in the off-hand" thing with the M1911, I'll probably have one called "Snake Eater" or something (a more creative name might be nice) that comes with one of the knife "attachments" plus a Legendary effect that gives a substantial melee damage bonus.

Oh and I do have a Legendary effect in there called "Rugged" that gives a durability bonus - or at least it's reserved for when I can do the AmmoTweaks integration.

I have diversified the weapons (and the weapon mods they come with) based on factions and NPC types, though I may want to tweak that after testing. For example I've currently got people in the Railroad basically always carrying weapons that are compact/cut-down with suppressors since it fits their theme, but in terms of loot that may end up being a bit too powerful.

And thanks; that's a kind offer. :) I'll give it some thought, but the work still to be done is mostly kind of complex and co-ordinating/merging/etc can also add a lot of overhead, so...

Also I just wanted to say I am really glad you decided to remove the absurd .50 conversion from standard hunting rifles. They literally already have an existing AMR in their previous titles so that one felt especially like a strange slap in the face to weapon variety.

That is probably one of the more major complaints I have with Fallout 4. They don't have that many different weapon calibers in the game in the first place and somehow they can't manage to put enough unique weapons in the game to cover most of them without just lazily slapping a caliber conversion onto a weapon it has no business being on?!?!

Well... yeah, I agree. ;) This sort of thing is part of why I started making WARS in the first place.

The peep sight on the cowboy repeater in New Vegas always drove me up a wall, thankfully someone made a mesh replacer to get rid of it, even more thankfully the mod that brings it into Fallout 4 never featured having it.

I see, so it'll be vanilla meshes and textures for the PPK than? I like the idea of it being rechambered in .38 which is essentially .380 ACP which I believe the real world counterpart is actually chambered in, 10mm didn't make sense to me for that pistol.

A good idea to replace the 10mm as low level gun with a PPK in .32 or .380 ACP. I'm mainly restricted to vanilla weapons in my game for some reasons, so I made the Deliverer a common gun per leveled lists and let it shoot a 5mm variant about the strength of a .38 (.38 = 40 damage from short barrels, 5mm = 38 damage, while 5mm from the minigun is 45 damage; 10mm = 58 damage). A small pistol like the Deliverer, without a locked breech system, could never handle a medium round like 9 mm Luger, .45 ACP or even 10 mm, and this with more energy and less recoil than the big 10mm of the game. Crazy.

I don't know why you all don't like the poor .50 hunting rifle conversion. :happy: Nowhere it's said that it is meant to be a .50 BMG round. It may be one variant of the once common .50 caliber hunting calibers, so the small increase in energy/damage can be explained. As I have .50 BMG weapons in my game I had to change the hunting rifle conversion to a top .308 receiver (bringing the base damage of 140 to 165 damage afair), but if you don't have, just see it as a strong hunting round.

One question, don't get me wrong: is it worth the effort to make so many caliber variants? Why making a PPK in .32 ACP and in .380 ACP for example? Both rounds feel more or less the same shot from a PPK and perform about the same in reality. Is it just fun to have variety? I'm for immersion and variety, if you feel it, for example for clothes and armor, cause it's easily seen. But so many calibers?

I see, so it'll be vanilla meshes and textures for the PPK than? I like the idea of it being rechambered in .38 which is essentially .380 ACP which I believe the real world counterpart is actually chambered in, 10mm didn't make sense to me for that pistol.

Yes, vanilla art assets for the PPK; they're relatively faithful to the real thing - especially by FO4's standards. I think you linked to this mod by zestoflemon earlier that has Deliverer reduced to a more realistic size, though? I do like that idea, so I may end up making a compatibility patch for that one.

A good idea to replace the 10mm as low level gun with a PPK in .32 or .380 ACP. I'm mainly restricted to vanilla weapons in my game for some reasons, so I made the Deliverer a common gun per leveled lists and let it shoot a 5mm variant about the strength of a .38 (.38 = 40 damage from short barrels, 5mm = 38 damage, while 5mm from the minigun is 45 damage; 10mm = 58 damage). A small pistol like the Deliverer, without a locked breech system, could never handle a medium round like 9 mm Luger, .45 ACP or even 10 mm, and this with more energy and less recoil than the big 10mm of the game. Crazy.

I don't know why you all don't like the poor .50 hunting rifle conversion. :happy: Nowhere it's said that it is meant to be a .50 BMG round. It may be one variant of the once common .50 caliber hunting calibers, so the small increase in energy/damage can be explained. As I have .50 BMG weapons in my game I had to change the hunting rifle conversion to a top .308 receiver (bringing the base damage of 140 to 165 damage afair), but if you don't have, just see it as a strong hunting round.

One question, don't get me wrong: is it worth the effort to make so many caliber variants? Why making a PPK in .32 ACP and in .380 ACP for example? Both rounds feel more or less the same shot from a PPK and perform about the same in reality. Is it just fun to have variety? I'm for immersion and variety, if you feel it, for example for clothes and armor, cause it's easily seen. But so many calibers?

Yeah, the (unfortunately simplistic) thinking with Deliverer in the base game was obviously "this is a unique weapon, let's give it a high damage value so it's "better" than our standard pistol". Even within the often "magical thinking" kind of design in the game, I think they could have made Deliverer both more interesting and somewhat more believable by giving it low standard damage but high sneak attack critical damage or something, via a Legendary effect.

I think it's more likely that they were thinking of .50 BMG than a relatively obscure old hunting cartridge - especially because this is a computer game - but sure, it could be rationalised like that. ;) Like you though I have .50 BMG weapons in WARS, so it's definitely .50 BMG here.

When I typed out the (currently planned) list of weapons with calibre conversions on the previous page like that I was surprised it was so short, so I don't see it as "many" variants. My thinking with having both .32 ACP and .380 ACP for the PPK and Skorpion was to give those weapons a bit more longevity - both for the player and for NPCs. .32 ACP to begin with, and slightly more damaging .380 ACP at higher (but still pretty low overall) levels.

I'm not sticking absolutely religiously to relative muzzle energy values when it comes to damage values in-game, but even then those two calibres may end up being a little close, yeah. This is a WIP, so things like that may change.

I wasn't the one who suggested zestoflemons work on the deliverer to you, or..I don't think I did...lol, I do use their BF1 right handed hunting rifle animations, I also use the Remington 700 mod which relies on zestoflemons hunting rifle animations, might have to check this one out, but if it replaces the vanilla deliverer animations I can see that negatively effecting some of the pistol mods I have, like en7evens 1911s and Icestorms HK Mark 23 ):

Whoops, I must have gotten mixed up there. I wonder who it was... oh, it was Tenurialrope3, here.

Anyway, I haven't opened it up to check, but from the description on zestoflemon's Deliverer mod, it sounds like it's been set to use a new set of animations rather than directly replacing the vanilla Deliverer anims, specifically so that it won't affect other mods that may rely on them. (The same thing I did in the Thompson replacer mod.)

Firstly, congrats to antistar on the beth.net interview (bit late so say it, I know).

And secondly, aye; the Deliverer BF1 Animations mod is/has/uses a new animation set and doesn't affect any mod's weapon(s) that use the (Deliverer's) vanilla animations or standard replacers of them

(or atleast I've never had any such issues (and the mod's description ofc. rightly says I shouldn't) through my time using it, and I have used/tried a number of vanilla-animations pistols during).

Edited by Tenurialrope3

This mod is phat thicc in all of the best ways? Have you been following Cascadia with any level of interest? I would love to hear about any mods WIP or otherwise you are interested in so I can take a look at them. Aside from Ammotweaks framework update. We all moistin over that one.

I was also wondering if you had considered making your own skill/perk setup using LevelUpMenuEx at all? I think it would be fun to have a wide variety of perks to choose as you level up as in the old days. I imagine that would be a pretty hefty task though. Also is it possible to create a skill or perk or something of the like that improves over time I.E. improved accuracy and reload speed with pistols from using pistols against enemies?