[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Dear antistar,

I really admire your work and be appreciated for all the helps you have provided me, also thank you for a revolutional project for this great game.

I totally agree with your concepts of WARS which the legendary effects, damage related perks (in my humble opinion, sneak attack multipler too) should be taken out of the mechanism, I just didn't have the guts to challenge the huge complaints against nerfing settings (so I cowardly changed some of them back). I am really - really happy to see you are putting things in the right track and needless to say the awesome details in this mod. Thank you so much once again for bringing this to FO4.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well don't thank me yet; there's still a lot of work to do. ;) But thanks.

I hadn't really thought of what I'm planning as "nerfing" anything. Some numbers will go down, but others will go up. It's... well, re-balancing. If anything, I hope that weapons will feel more powerful - lessening the "bullet-sponge" effect.

New for the AR-15 is a laser sight. This is tenoyl's DBAL-A2 model, with my usual minor retex:

- AR-15 13

- AR-15 14

- AR-15 15

As it stands at the moment, the AR-15 has three barrel lengths to choose from - M4 CQB, M4 and M16, to go from shortest to longest - and each of those has two variants: standard hand-guard and RIS (Rail Interface System). You need one of the RIS variants to be able to mount the laser sight (and possibly a vertical foregrip - to be decided).

I found I was able to dynamically "remove" one of the rail covers to make room for the laser sight by using a material swap to make it invisible. This is good, because it means I don't have to leave a conspicuous bare spot for the laser sight to attach to.

In my humble opinion, a major factor of bullet sponge is the unreasonable health growing curve. I tried to flatten it but received so much complaints about it (another major complaint is about removing sneak attack damage multipler).

So far I have changed them back to vanilla but always wanted to make a further balancing patch about it. I am so happy and looking forward to see your project because I always admire your work, and I really hope to see a (at least much more) realistic gun fight gameplay environment.

In my humble opinion, a major factor of bullet sponge is the unreasonable health growing curve. I tried to flatten it but received so much complaints about it (another major complaint is about removing sneak attack damage multipler).

So far I have changed them back to vanilla but always wanted to make a further balancing patch about it. I am so happy and looking forward to see your project because I always admire your work, and I really hope to see a (at least much more) realistic gun fight gameplay environment.

Oh, yeah; the thing where characters continue to gain max HP as they level up, but weapon damage doesn't follow suit. I am probably going to have to do something about that, but I don't know what yet. Haven't had time to look at it.

if i may ask, will there be an option to disable certain weapon replacers ? like for example if i didnt want to replace combat shotguns with the usas-12.

I go into some detail on my position on this (and why it's maybe not the end of the world) in the second post in the thread - the Commentary post - but in short, no. Not from me. Replacing those weapons (and at this stage I am only planning to replace those four - the 10mm Pistol, Assault Rifle, Combat Rifle and Combat Shotgun) is one of the principle features of the mod.

You could have called this project "Antistar WARS"

I'm not a fan of putting my name in the title of something; it feels tacky. I think I've only done that once; for "Antistar's Assorted Add-ons" for FO3 - and there it was only for the sake of the alliteration and because that whole thing was a bit of a throw-away. ;)

Before I get my hopes too high for this mod what might the chance of it coming to Xbox 1 going to be

WARS probably will get an XB1 release. Maybe not the alphas if I do those, but when it's more settled, yeah; the chances are pretty good.

When can we expect the mod? Like how fast are you working on it?

That depends on whether or not I do alpha releases. I've mentioned before that I might do that so that I'm not just sitting on Hitman's animations rather than getting them out there so that people can use them for whatever other weapons. Normally I wouldn't do alpha releases though - since it requires a lot of extra time and effort that would otherwise be spent on actually working on the mod - so... we'll see.

Anyway, I'm not sure at what point I'd say "yeah, this is ready for an alpha". It seems like a natural point would be when the four replacer weapons are finished, but a bit earlier (like before the USAS-12) might be alright too. To give an idea of where things are up to; the work has mostly been on assets so far. In that context, the Glock is finished and the AR-15 is definitely past half-way. Right now I'm working on a couple of magazine-pulls to replace the somewhat nonsensical "quick-eject" mags as reload-speed weapon mods. I'm planning two more muzzle attachments (one I'll be doing from scratch), and there's still a few scopes to do. Maybe a couple of under-barrel attachments, but that's to-be-confirmed.

The AR-15 is taking a lot of work, but it needs it; it's a crucial one to get right. Fortunately, a lot of the assets I'm making/porting/editing/retexing/etc for it can be used on other weapons too - for example the Mini-14. Speaking of which, I've only done a basic port of it so far - so that Hitman could do the animations for it. Last I heard those are basically finished. After the AR-15, I'll do the Mini-14 - and after that, the USAS-12.

I've only done some of the CK-work required - mostly just what was needed to get things in-game and test them - so there's a lot more I'll need to do there before any kind of release.

Oh, and I'm working pretty hard on this mod. I don't want to play FO4 again until WARS is at least done up to a certain point - and I haven't played the game since a few weeks after it came out - so trust me; I'm working as fast as I can. ;)