[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Things are a bit hectic at the moment, but I found some time to take a few screenshots:

- AR-15 25

- AR-15 26

- AR-15 27

- AccuPoint Scope 01

New to the AR-15 is an AccuPoint scope. This replaces the vanilla Assault Rifle's "long scope". Mesh by tenoyl, edits and textures by me.

I do think that the very tall mount looks a little odd, but you can see here why it's like that; it would be blocked by the laser sight otherwise. I could move the laser sight attach point to one of the side rails - and maybe I still will at some point - but I like it on the top. (Also having to shuffle around which rail covers are toggled on and off would be a bit of a pain.)

Also, the AR-15 now has vertical foregrips - and more importantly, vertical foregrip animations, thanks to Hitman. Here's a video on his channel showing them off.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This certainly looks like a very promissing project! Also, great work from everyone involved! ^-^

Antistar, I don't know if you already know about this (And if you do, then sorry for bothering :P), but there is a site that has information about the muzzle energy of many different kinds of bullets. I don't know how precise those values are, but if you delete the last number of those offered values I believe it can create a somewhat consistent damage system. For example, the 5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm and .308 Win are listed there as having 1,196 ME, 1,521 ME and 2,997 ME each. You can delete the last numbers and get damage values of 119, 152 and 299 respectively for weapons that use those kind of ammo. Maybe the values need to be tweaked a bit, but at least it can give you a direction (If you haven't put much thought about it yet, that is).

There is also this site talking about the muzzle energy of shotgun shells.

I'm actually working on a personal mod that has some similar objectives as yours, so I thought that sharing that information could be useful in some way. :)

Also, if I can make a small question... Do you think it will be possible to make enemies use different types of ammo? Or will this be an ability that only the Player can do?

Again, great project! I'm really curious about what will happen to it! ^-^

Thanks - and yeah, I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but using real-world muzzle energy values as a reference is the plan. I've had these sites noted down for a while:

--- http://gundata.org/bullet-database/
--- http://ammoguide.com/
--- http://www.ballistics101.com/

I hadn't seen your linked sites before though, so I added them to the list; thanks. :)

I don't know about having NPCs dynamically switch between using different ammo types in their inventory, but having them spawn with a certain ammo type and a gun set to use it should be fine. The former would be ideal of course, but probably pretty complicated to script.

I just hope this mod comes out soon with a Beta or even an Alpha, I really like that AR-15 model. Plus, it'd give me reason to use all those 5.56 I've been hoarding because the Assault Rifle is god-awful looking, and blocks a big portion of my screen.

It's also great that the handmade rifle is getting replaced with an actual AK platform.

Maybe you could also consider a simple replacer version, so it remains as compatible as possible with other mods such as Weapon Balance Overhaul.

If not, then I'm assuming you're planning to rebalance all of the weapons, so the pipe rifle doesn't become completely obsolete or overpowered due to other weapons getting rebalanced.

Edited by Azf12

Thanks guys. :)

I just hope this mod comes out soon with a Beta or even an Alpha, I really like that AR-15 model. Plus, it'd give me reason to use all those 5.56 I've been hoarding because the Assault Rifle is god-awful looking, and blocks a big portion of my screen.

It's also great that the handmade rifle is getting replaced with an actual AK platform.

Maybe you could also consider a simple replacer version, so it remains as compatible as possible with other mods such as Weapon Balance Overhaul.

If not, then I'm assuming you're planning to rebalance all of the weapons, so the pipe rifle doesn't become completely obsolete or overpowered due to other weapons getting rebalanced.

Speaking of blocking a big portion of the screen... well, I've got some more screenshots to post, but no time to do it yet. Hopefully tomorrow some time - you'll see.

Anyway, I am planning to rebalance all the weapons (some plans are mentioned in the first two posts), but more along the lines of referencing real-world weapons and ballistics. (Referencing, not necessarily directly aping them if that doesn't work well.)

​Hey, antistar, for the AR 15 drums, I found something you might want to have a look at. I found it a while ago and I saw Hitman's video using those old school C-mags and thought you might be interested:

Edited by GarnetSan

Another Thing to consider with the height of the optic mounts antistar, is that the ar-15 with its flat top recievers and stock that runs straight back traditionally has a really tall height over bore for optics in general, and especially irons. The whole reason is because of how your cheek weld on the stock works, if you mount the optics low, you cant actually look through them and still maintain a proper grip on the rifle. A cursory google search for videos of pro competitors or soldiers shooting ar platform rifles and conciously looking at how the optics are mounted and how they use said optics will give you a pretty good idea, and if you like i could actually send you pics of my roommate and I's rifle setups and our (ugly) faces in proper cheekweld position for shooting. Mine's an eotech holo sight and his is magnified glass.

Just some thoughts from an actual ar15 desciple, hopefully helpful ones lol

The screenshots I didn't have time to put together and post the other day:

- AR-15 28
- AR-15 29
- AR-15 30
- AN PVS-4 01
- AN PVS-4 02

Replacing the vanilla Assault Rifle night-vision and recon scopes on the AR-15 is the AN/PVS-4 Starlight Scope. It's pretty big, yeah. Mesh and textures by Rectus, with minor edits and retex by me.

Back in the comments for the first WIP image I posted for WARS, I said:

I'm not planning to go full tacticlol - you know, midnight-black guns bristling with Picatinny rails and LAMs. Not really what I want. There will still be things like reflex sights though; same as the base game.

... Whoops. In my defence, picatinny rails are kind of a requirement for extensive weapon attachment possibilities. I have intentionally been going for older tech when it comes to attachments for the AR-15 though, for what it's worth - for example the AN/-PVS4 Starlight Scope here.

But yes, shot 30 is a comparison shot between "basic as you can get" and "ridiculously tricked out". (Ignore the current mods and stats displays; they're mashed together and due to change, respectively.)

I realise that having the bayonet and suppressor on at the same time like this is sort of silly. I had to give the bayonets their own attach point so that it could be omitted on the CQB barrels, since they're too short for bayonets.

​Hey, antistar, for the AR 15 drums, I found something you might want to have a look at. I found it a while ago and I saw Hitman's video using those old school C-mags and thought you might be interested:

Thanks - I'm pretty happy with what I've got for the mags, though:

20 round USGI mag
30 round USGI mag
60 round quad-stack mag
100 round Beta C-Mag

Another Thing to consider with the height of the optic mounts antistar, is that the ar-15 with its flat top recievers and stock that runs straight back traditionally has a really tall height over bore for optics in general, and especially irons. The whole reason is because of how your cheek weld on the stock works, if you mount the optics low, you cant actually look through them and still maintain a proper grip on the rifle. A cursory google search for videos of pro competitors or soldiers shooting ar platform rifles and conciously looking at how the optics are mounted and how they use said optics will give you a pretty good idea, and if you like i could actually send you pics of my roommate and I's rifle setups and our (ugly) faces in proper cheekweld position for shooting. Mine's an eotech holo sight and his is magnified glass.

Just some thoughts from an actual ar15 desciple, hopefully helpful ones lol

Yeah, I was having a look just now and the AccuPoint scope is only slightly higher than the basic carry handle sights. And the PVS-4 eyepiece is higher than the Accupoint scope.

You can never have too much reference material, so go ahead and post it if you like; thanks. :) It may help others if it's posted in the thread, but if you'd rather not have lots of people see it you could just e-mail or PM it to me if you'd prefer.