Tutorial: Converting a DEM to a heightmap

TrickyVein

So here's the area I'm trying to load into the GECK:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/auressel/Area.png

Everything's named correctly, correct formatting and file sizes. It loads into the GECK's heightmap editor, but when I try to actually look at the terrain, it crashes. Is it simply an issue of too much elevation? (The area I'm working with is Summit County, CO, with elevation changes from 7500' to 13,000'+.)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice heightmap. It doesn't matter what it looks like, however so that tells me literally nothing :)

How large are each of your quads? 2 MB? Have you imported your images into the heightmap editor or simply viewed them? Placing the .raw files in the heightmap folder is only the first step - you need to 'import' via the heightmap editor tool.

If you've done all that, you should be able to view your terrain *granted that the worldspace itself is set up correctly.* You should have a named, saved plugin with a worldspace created before you import your terrain.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've read that as well.

My advice would be to procure a copy of photoshop cs2. The link to download is provided in the beginning of the tutorial.

You could also much about with tesanwynn and import a different file format entirely.

That link doesn't work anymore. They require you to register and buy it. CS2 was never free. They released the free code to allow people who had already bought CS2 to use it since the activation servers were down. But the internet ran rampant with stories about free CS2. Most of them ended up having to print an retraction: http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

Even if you wrote down the activation code they gave, it doesn't work anymore. I tried. You can't even download the software now without registering an account whereas before you could just download it.

Also, I tried TesAnnwyn with Skyrim and it's not "newbie friendly" software. I got my heightmap to import into Skyrim, but it looked nothing like what it was supposed to and I didn't know where to go from there. Everyone points to that Hoddminir blog as the goto tutorial for Skyrim, but they built their heightmap from scratch. Yours seems much easier to use if I could figure out some of the terms in this thread and get it to work in Gimp.

Edited by Fistandilius

Well crap. I didn't know that. Thanks for updating me. Guess I'll have to change the tutorial.

Back to your original question: photoshop is the only program I know of that allows you to work in 16 bit.

I understand it's not fair to require using a program which isn't free, so my suggestion would be to get tesanwynn and use alternative file formats. I'll probably update the tutorial with an alternative method to using photoshop.

Additionally, you can import an 8-bit image using tesanwynn, so I hope you're able to do so.

Edited by TrickyVein

Well crap. I didn't know that. Thanks for updating me. Guess I'll have to change the tutorial.

Back to your original question: photoshop is the only program I know of that allows you to work in 16 bit.

I understand it's not fair to require using a program which isn't free, so my suggestion would be to get tesanwynn and use alternative file formats. I'll probably update the tutorial with an alternative method to using photoshop.

Additionally, you can import an 8-bit image using tesanwynn, so I hope you're able to do so.

I wouldn't say it's not fair. It's not your fault Adobe charges $700 for software that hasn't changed a great deal since the late 90's. Like I said, I tried Tesanwynn with regards to Skyrim. I was able to successfully get my heightmap into the game, but it looked nothing like what it as intended to look like elevation wise. It could have been something as simple as the elevations being entered wrong, but it's not exactly a newbie friendly program.

I guess I'll have to try looking for something more generic in terms of heightmap tutorials to try to learn more about heightmaps in general before I can try to fudge with Tesanwynn some more.

Edited by Fistandilius