So, Do you play FO4 as a male or female?

Fkemman11

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to really get into with you, but honestly it's not worth it. I'm not going to engage in asinine discussions with someone who's best response is to act like their an intellectual because they ponder the deeper meaning behind simple gameplay mechanics. In addition to that, it's off topic and I don't want to derail the thread. I will not reply to any further comments about this.

It was perfectly on the topic of why some people feel like Nate or Nora feels more or less restricted in the roles they should play. You know, since it's at least theoretically a ROLE-PLAYING game. As such, possible back stories where Nate isn't constrained by that military background are perfectly on topic. And that WAS what was being discussed, until you decided to butt in with pretty much, OMG you can't think about that :tongue:

Speaking of companions, the extraordinary mod Outcasts and Remnants has an enjoyable male companion named Ash.

Makes me wonder whether being female or male in real life influences our preference in game companions? My guess is that it would have a strong influence. However, when you factor in all the people that might choose to play the game in a sex opposite from their own, let alone general friendship preference, it seems to take on too many parameters for guessing.

Hmm, good question. Personally I'm not into romancing NPCs, so my main questions are just, in that order:

- can he/she sneak decently?

- can I give him/her modded gear?

- does he/she scale apropriately with my level?

- does he/she bring any other useful skills along, like hacking, lockpicking, healing, whatever? Bonus points if I can control his/her skills at level up

- whether he/she has interesting things to say

I can't say gender preferences play any role, since I don't do the romance thing. But the best companions so far in all beth games tended to be female, so who knows, maybe I'm not as impartial as I think.

Just so you know neither you nor I are trying to win a debate here. This is pure discussion and I really find this so interesting. Nothing against Heather's content but somewhere reading the comments I was so afraid of game stability because she seems to be a big mod (and that Radio of Common Wealth) so I am still skeptical to try. CTD is quite a real threat in FO4 you know (less than Skyrim, thanks god). I would like to download that multiple companion mods but I also worry it will conflict with something else .... Horrible. I don't have the most pleasant experience with companion, technical wise.Â

So back to topic, if Heather is 2nd favorite, who is first, Hancock? Just so I am clear on that. Oh yeah, his outfit, can we change that? About that 300 lines ... it's what I read in a tutorial somewhere but it does not mean that they all used up all 300 slots for each and every companion. I have Ellen around right now but I haven't really started paying attention on her snarky comments. To be fair, we may have to open up the data files to really compare.Â

However, I really like what you told me about Hancock and Heather. It is rare to have someone also caring so much about content like yourself. I am actually not THAT super-fiscal. But I do want some new skin texture for him, because Vanilla ghoul texture looks *bleh*. So I am "that kind" of super-fiscal: the good looking graphic kind. Oh, one person I dislike more than Nick is Preston. Not because I am racist, but he is such an embodiment of virtuous idealist. I really admire his tenacity (although wondering why he lacks ambition, he should appoints himself 2nd General) but you think it is hard traveling with nanny Nick, it feels harder traveling with pope Preston. (Again, all roleplaying, don't think he can do much to me, technical wise).Â

What weapons do you give each companion to really fit their style and personality? (beside fully upgraded their companion ammo weapon as backup). Piper always gets some kind of submachine gun. Nick a big .44 revolver (and that gigantic M203 revolver rifle). Deacon always something super compact with silencer. MacCready a giant sniper rifle and some assault rifle (like he is in special forces). Cait something rough like a minigun or shotgun? Hancock I would imagine a shotgun (like Widow shotgun). I have no idea for Curie ... a laser rifle? I never really get to play with X88. I like his tough look but I always end up killing Institute. And what would fishermen use? I can't imagine something high tech. Pardon me if I asked too much. I am just trying to make the most out of the lack luster companion system. I miss the companions in Mass Effect 2 (they make day and night difference). Or all those Dragon Age companions always have so much interaction among each other.

Aw heck, i know that. Not trying to "win" here. But like you said, it's nice to chat about this with someone else who has actual interest.

Anyhoo, let me tell you, I'm currently playing fallout on a potato. My computer is just... terrible. Which is sad, i built her myself only three years ago. But, regardless, Heather has been totally fine. Stability wise. I don't attribute any crashes to her. So I'd say go for it. Also, if you want a good mod for multiple companions, the only one I've found that doesn't conflict with anything is Followers Extended. You equip 1 of 20 rings to any NPC, and they follow you. Simple. And, useful. Those rings work perfectly when you have a bug where you can't dismiss a companion. The only problem is, you can target the follower wearing the rings in VATS, and that could make you crash. On consoles, Anyway. Hasn't happened on my potato yet. Also, check out Create Followers.

Yeah, though. Hancock is my #1. Heather is #2. Ellen is... way down the list. Below Piper. Something i thought only Danse was capable of. (In case that wasn't clear, i hate Danse. He's a bad person) Ellen doesn't have entertaining dialogue. Simple as that. And she has zero personality. She might be more interesting if you played previous fallout games, but i don't see that helping her case much... And her perk? For maxing affinity? It's terrible. I mean, it makes sense, but i don't want it. And there's no way to opt out of it, short of avoiding maxing relationship with her.

You can indeed change Hancock's outfit. And, i know there's a mod that lets you change Nicks outfit too. But, i can't imagine Nick wearing anything else. So, i understand why people feel like, even if you can, it's "not right" to change Hancock's. Which is unfortunate, he's cute in everything. lol Not gonna shame you for not appreciating the ghoul look. Looks aside, Hancock's voice actor must have just gone above and beyond to add extra dialogue. That's all i can assume. Hancock just has so many little things to say. It really pays to stop, and ask him his thoughts everywhere.

But, i do wish the base game companions hasd more unique abilities tied to their personality. If we're talking purely useful, they're all about the same. Cait might win the usefulness crown, because she picks locks, and is the only companion that can sneak effectively. It would be nice if Hancock could... i dunno, craft chems out of junk you give him. Stuff you couldn't create yourself with the same ingredients. That would be real special.

On the subject of Preston, i like... the idea of him. I love his story, it's adorable. But once you hear it, it's done. Bethesda really did him dirty, it's such a shame.

Back when i was playing Vanilla survival, i did give the other companions weapons that I thought fit for them. X6-88 got a plasma sniper. Danse got a gattling laser. Nick got a 44. Piper got a laser. But, i gave Hancock what I just thought was best. Which, for a long time, was The Last Minute.But then, when we were in a big fight, I'd have him use the Salvaged Assaultron Head. It irradiates the user, so since Hancock's a ghoul, each shot healed him. Also it looked cool. And at the end, i gave him Aeternus. Unlimited, free Gattling laser looked real good on Hancock. I also gave him the Alien Blaster, because my baby is out of this world already. And, if i saw a behemoth or something big coming up, i had him use Sgt Ash. The crippling flamer you get from far harbor. It ended any fight immediately. Also, grenades. I never ever used them myself, but companions... they have perfect aim. I just gave any grenades i found to them. I'll never get over it, once we were being shot at through a crumbling hole in the wall. A pretty small crack. But from like six feet away Hancock threw a fukken grenade through it. Magnificent. Nowadays, i just let them use their base guns. I would prefer my companions to not fight at all. I wanna do all the skull bashing myself. So, if i do have to give them a gun, it's gonna be a revolver. Slow shots. Or the harpoon gun.

Edited by LucidLady

LucidLady, I really found Ellen's explorer perk helpful. I discovered some locations with Ellen's explorer perk that I may have missed otherwise, although I suspect that are some hidden easter egg locations that are yet to be discovered.