How to adjust the screen size?

xanordon

When I start Morrowind up, it offers me a choice of four resolutions, all of which have the same proportion: the height of the screen is .75 of the width.

However, I have a widescreen, which is 1600 x 900, so the height is .5625 of the width. So when I'm playing, the image appears distorted, stretched from side to side.

One solution would be to somehow make the image on the screen 1200 x 900. There would be a strip of black on either side of the image, (each measuring 200 width x 900 height) but at least the image would no longer be distorted.

Does anyone know how to put the image back to its normal proportion? Is there anything I could change in the .ini file? Or better still, is there a mod which would do it for me?

*Edited* sorry, I originally got here from a link in the Skyrim forum, so I thought it was for Skyrim. My guess is that you need to change the resolution before you hit play, and this will give you different screen resolutions in game.

It's been a while since I had Morrowind installed - But searching google images, click on Options from the Launcher.

There should be a way to set the aspect ration to 16:9 from there, I think?

I'm afraid not. When you click on options, you only have the choice of four options (640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, and 1152 x 864) and no choice of changing to any other settings. I really appreciate the effort you went to, to help, though.

The only way to set a non standard resolution is through the registry entry.....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind]

"Screen Width"=dword:000005a0 <- this one

"Screen Height"=dword:00000384 <- this one

"Screen Depth"=dword:00000020 <- this one

after you open the registry with regedit, click on each key you want to change and select the decimal button and enter your desired width/height/depth.

Just don't use the options in the game or they will be reset.....

Back when Morrowind was made, there was no widescreen for monitors so that was never implemented as an option. Do a search for the Morrowind Code Patch, download and install that. I believe that makes it possible to play with widescreen resolution. I'm not 100% sure of that though but I use it and I play on widescreen and it seems to not stretch as much.

If you download the Morrowind Graphics Extender it'll let you set the resolution at just about anything you want. It'll also open up a bunch of other graphics options and effects.

• 1 month later...

If you download the Morrowind Graphics Extender it'll let you set the resolution at just about anything you want. It'll also open up a bunch of other graphics options and effects.

Wow! I've got Full Screen without distortion! I wish I could give you ten kudos!

Thanks to all who gave solutions - I was a bit hesitant because I felt I could very easily stuff it up, and wouldn't know how to fix it if I did.

But I thought that there would be less chance of stuffing up with this solution, the Graphics Extender. And it was easy - all I had to do was select the full screen resolution I wanted, 1600 x 900, and voilà! I'm so thrilled!