SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

Hello all.

I am a moderately experienced mod-gamer (I ran Oldrim with 252 mods gradually adding them to my original game successfully, and have been modding Bethesda games since Morrowind) experiencing an issue that I don't know how to fix, or even more importantly, how to avoid in the future.

THE PROBLEM:

Skyrim Special Edition CTD's when saving. Any type of save, hard, quick, auto, even the console. I can continue playing for as long as I want, there are no other symptoms, I simply can't save. The game played normally for 100+ hours, then started experiencing this bug. When checking the save folder, .TMP files were created instead of .ESS files.

I've scoured this forum and the web for days and haven't found anything relevant, so I figured it was time to try this. I use Nexus Mod Manager and Loot religiously.

MOD HISTORY:

The vast majority of the mods I am playing with were downloaded and installed with the game on 11/15/2016. The following mods were added on the following dates:

Mods Downloaded and Installed on 11/27/2016
1nivWICCloaks.esp

Mods Downloaded and Installed on 12/7/2016
Helgen Reborn.esp

Mods Downloaded and Installed on 1/7/2017:
QaxeQuestorium
Tw3_femaleArmors_zzjay.esp
Shiri.esp
PrvtIRoyalArmory.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp
Achievment Mods Enabler (and dll)

MODS INSTALLED:

GameMode=SkyrimSE

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
Falskaar.esm=1
Campfire.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
NS_NobleDress.esp=1
Book Covers Skyrim.esp=1
Helgen Reborn.esp=1
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp=1
MoonAndStar_MAS.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=1
1nivWICCloaks.esp=1
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp=1
ImmersiveLoversComfort.esp=1
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp=1
Better Vampires.esp=1
Predator Vision.esp=1
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp=1
ElementalArrows.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=1
Inigo.esp=1
SofiaFollower.esp=1
Unicorn.esp=1
Ish's Souls to Perks.esp=1
Forgotten DungeonsSSE.esp=1
BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp=1
Holidays.esp=1
skyBirds_SSE.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
ForgottenCity.esp=1
Footprints.esp=1
LrsamwaysExpandedSkyrimWeaponry.esp=1
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp=1
True Eyes SE.esp=1
Simple AUA.esp=1
LZA Giants Are People Too SSE.esp=1
moonpath.esp=1
Daedric Dawnbreaker.esp=1
FoMo.esp=1
Better Harvesting.esp=1
SnowElfPalace.esp=1
Unique Uniques.esp=1
JS Armored Circlets SE.esp=1
sk_threekingdoms.esp=1
Bloodworm.esp=1
Capes&Cloaks.esp=1
CultofAgnar.esp=1
AnnaDruidConjuration.esp=1
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1
Dreamborne Islands.esp=1
Frostfall.esp=1
DaggerCraft.esp=1
Gildergreen Regrown.esp=1
WerewolfPerksExpanded.esp=1
DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp=1
Black Mage Armor SE.esp=1
WheelsOfLull.esp=1
Ars Metallica.esp=1
TW3_femaleArmors_zzjay.esp=1
Shiri.esp=1
Cutting Room Floor.esp=1
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp=1
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp=1
QaxeQuestorium.esp=1
PrvtIRoyalArmory.esp=1

ATTEMPTED FIXES:

1. This reminded me of a problem I had with Oldrim when SKSE had updated and I didn't know but had downloaded mods that require the new version. The fix for that was of course to update SKSE. Seeing as how that can't be the problem, I checked that thread for all of the other "fixes" such as player.kill, waiting inside, etc., to no avail.

2. I then tried loading my oldest save (65), which worked fine until I reached Save 93, and the problem reared its head again.

3. Thinking the game unplayable (and not wanting to lose 100 hours of my ideal play-through) I opted for a Hail Mary and started removing mods (I know, the cardinal sin. I was desperate). Oddly enough, this worked, but in a strange way: It didn't matter WHICH mods I removed, it only mattered that I remove something. In this way I could play for about 5 hours before the saving issue started again, at which point I would remove another mod, which would get me another 5 hours, etc. Of course, this is untenable.

4. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skyrim, as well as re-downloading all of my mods, again to no avail.

SAVE STABILITY AND HISTORY:

All of my saves can run for varying amounts of time before experiencing this bug. Here are the details of my notable successful saves:

OLDEST SAVE: Save65 1/7/2017 11:38 PM, 14,691 KB 97 hours into the game. Doesn't experience the bug for 6-10 hours.

LAST SAVES THAT LOAD WITH FULL LOAD ORDER BEFORE CRASHING @ NEXT SAVE:
Save84 1/17/2017 2:15 AM, 15,386 KB 103 hours into game. Experiences the bug within 30 seconds.
Save93 1/29/2017 11:14 PM, 15,317 KB 105 hours into game. Experiences the bug within 30 seconds.

I am reticent to start another save until I know what caused this problem, seeing as how I don't want to lose 100 hours of progress again. Any help, even wild guesses would be appreciated. A few things that don't need mentioned:

1. I use NMM and LOOT. Loot shows no errors.

2. I understand that the only truly safe way to mod is to have all of the mods installed at the start; however, adding new mods to already existing saves is something I have accomplished successfully for the past decade and a half when done carefully; I'm not going to start a new save just to add a new armor mod.

3. I'm not going to test a clean save for 100 hours to see if I can replicate the problem. That's no longer a test, it's another play-through.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dude.

That is a strange problem.

What happens when you rename the TMP file to ESS? Try that and load the renamed save..

Props on your meticulous method too :D

Let me know if that above changes anything, I'd be curious to know, good luck man :D

Thanks for the suggestion Tulsa 299

Ok, this is... odd... to say the least.

Renaming the TMP to ESS didn't seem to work (the file has 0 KB so I didn't have high hopes). But something REALLY strange happened.

I first checked my profile for this character, and the renamed file didn't even show up. I then checked the "SHOW ALL SAVES" to see if it was in there. It wasn't, but what WAS in there are some REALLY old auto and quicksaves from this character.

They are:

AUTOSAVE 12/23/2016 12:07 AM, 13,100 KB 86 hours into the game

AUTOSAVE 12/18/2016 2:49 AM, 12,119 KB 72 hours into the game

Quicksave 11/19/2016 4:44 PM, 7,405 KB 21 hours into the game

I can save with this saves, and when I do it doesn't show up under my character profile. I'll stress test these saves later for 5-10 hours to see if the problem show up again.

But what in blazes is going on? Why would these REALLY old saves not be in the same profile? Is this some issue between mods and the profile system?

Also: all of these really old auto and quicksaves are in High Hrothgar. Coincidence? I was in High Hrothgar a lot early in the game...

Edited by squireoivanhoe

Perhaps it may be a bug with vanilla? Given what you've said and assuming you don't use any form of save manager (like casm). Maybe check out the implementation method of the new save system and see if anyone else has experienced it.

One piece of information which may be of little use, I loaded up an Oldrim mod into CK recently (I was attempting to port it to SE) something went wrong and it would not save... I then found mod.TMP in the data folder, I renamed it and so far it's working fine and the edit I intended was present, maybe useless but this is a highly singular problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've played on these saves for 16 hours (102 hours into the game) and everything seems to be working normal. This has been weird. My best guess is some conflict between a mod and the profile system (although I'm using all of the same mods, so... ?) If anyone experiences this problem in the future, the only "fix" I have is:

1. Rename a .tmp save file as a .ess

2. Mystically some old autosaves and a quicksave might appear under the "all saves" profile.

3. Load one of these and continue slaying dragons.

In my 13 years of modding I've never experienced anything like this...

• 2 weeks later...

In case you have not done this, go to your saved games folder and either delete or move all but the last two good saves (ones with both files). For some reason, too many saves can gum up the works.

Run your saved game through a script cleaner and see if somehow you have some orphan scripts.