⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

I believe that I understand your posts, I'm just checking to see if you've tried my fix. Is your "fix" permanent? Because it sounds an awful lot like mine (see older posts) where it fixed it for a while, but eventually became unstable again. In order to help, I think that it would first be beneficial to make sure that you don't have a single mod that is causing problems by checking your save with Resaver.

I definitely think that you're right about the overall problem of scripts (or script instances). I just don't know if there is anything we can do about it. I'm also not well versed enough in the console to know of any tracking commands.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly appreciate the advice and yes, I have tried your solution. I checked my save with Resaver frequently and clean anything that shows up. Lately, I seem to be having trouble identifying the mod that scripts belong to. When I select a mod in the filter it seems like it only shows me the ESP file. Perhaps I remember incorrectly, but I swear older versions would allow me to select a mod and it would show all scripts and scripts instances generated by that particular mod.

Gotcha. Yes, I generally just go by knowing the mod well enough to recognize keywords. If you send a pm to markdf he is generally pretty responsive about individual instances and loves to help.

As far as there being some limit, you're probably right. Maybe we need to ask Bethesda about it? That's a pretty specialized thing to try and figure out without the right tools. Remember that it took years for modders to figure out the string count problem in Oldrim.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, at least restringer gave us the option of reducing the string count. In this case, my only option seems to be to eliminate mods I currently run to be able to run other mods with scripts . That's not really a solution and I think I'm going to look around for another open world game. I'm at endgame, and with this issue I'm unable to install quest mods that contain any scripts and still be able to save my game . I was hoping with the release of SKSE64 that there might be a solution to this .

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem too, i was playing for hours then i want to finish the alduin's quest, when i was in skuldafn the game did not save.

My Game is having the same problem when I begin at Skuldafn as well.

117 Active mods

140 Active Plugins total.

Main character has (wild guess here), over 100 hrs play time.

Peace talks save runs ok

- End of Season Unending Quest.

Return to Whiterun save is ok

Capture Odahviing save is ok

...But as soon as I try to save in Skuldafn...CTD

I also get random CTD's in combat.

Trying squireoivanhoe's method.

- Uninstalled Diverse Dragons Collection, based on other posts,

- Uninstalled Convenient Horses, It just wasn't working at all.

Loaded my Skulfadn saveafter cleaning, killed the 1st two Draugr and the dragon, tried a manual save (console - save [savename]) and still CTD.

Went back and cleaned the two previous saves to my Skuldafn one,

Loaded the cleaned save where I have captured Odahaviing, flew to Skuldafn, killed the two draugr and the dragon.....

SAVE SUCCESSFUL, both quicksave and a console save (savename)

Thankyou squireoivanhoe

Edited by Zoolamon2

Honestly, there is so much I would like to write about some of the mods mentioned in this thread. It is depressing that time after time people run into issues by simply installing mods that old hands KNOW to avoid like the plague. I did write a long piece but deleted it. Be wary of certain well known mods that spawn lots of scripts across tamriel. Ignore what the authors of those mods say.. they are wrong and refuse to acknowledge there is any fault. Regrettably the only way those mods CAN work is the way they DO work.. and there in lays the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

In my instance I can confirm that Frostfall was the culprit, the offending script was "#_frost_playerstatesystem#" which showed as an undefined element in ReSaver. Once I removed it I was able to save again. What's odd is that it was the only active script running when the problem occurred. I'm going to continue playing with Frostfall installed and see if I can establish further correlation with this particular script being the culprit in my case.