Give your player a voice

Deleted41621105User

I think one important factor that is missing from skyrim is the absence of your characters voice. To me this is a key element in supporting immersion Is there a mod out there already to meet this goal? If there is not I just wanted to spark some curiosity and hopefully some action towards this goal. Thanks

Divided crowd over this in Fallout 4. Some say it's great others say it destroys their roleplay experience, i.e they can't imagine the character to be themselves.

I'm sitting on the fence, I don't mind the voiced char in Fallout 4, but I don't mind the unvoiced char in Skyrim either. The latter is definitely more modder friendly.

• 6 months later...

Well, there is this mod - unfortunately it be only for Oldrim........ http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51387/?

Sadly that's limited. I used it a lot but it's not in anyway a full voice. I guess the voicing of the Dovakhin is just too big a job. Shame Bethesda never did it, when you look at the choices you have for Mass Effect, etc.

I'm not surprised that there have been no serious attempts to voice the Dovahkiin. There must be thousands of lines. Some conversations have multiple choices. It's double the work for both genders, to say nothing of providing different voice types for different races. You'd also want the VA to do new combat barks and vocalizations as well, so there is consistency all throughout. It would be a hugely ambitious project that would take a lot of time.

Divided crowd over this in Fallout 4. Some say it's great others say it destroys their roleplay experience, i.e they can't imagine the character to be themselves.

I'm sitting on the fence, I don't mind the voiced char in Fallout 4, but I don't mind the unvoiced char in Skyrim either. The latter is definitely more modder friendly.

Divided crowd for Dragon Age as well.

I prefer a voiced character. I like hearing a nice voice and it's also nice when your own character is able to speak, just like everyone else. In games that use voice, it also frees up the camera to be more dynamic in conversations, so you can see yourself in scenes instead of over-the-shoulder or first person views to hide that you're just standing there mute.

It helps me to roleplay in that I can more easily separate it as a different person. This is also one reason I play as opposite gender.

BUT I do agree that, for Skyrim and its mods, having a non-voiced character is a benefit. Quest mods would seem sub-par if they couldn't make use of the player voice, whereas now mod authors of quest mods only need to worry about providing voices for NPCs.

• 2 months later...