⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

My apologies then yakalrad, I do not hang around Beth net garbage forums, so I do not know the context ;)

Haha! No worries. I no longer hang out there anymore either, especially after reading for the hundredth time how Insignificant Object Remover breaks precombineds across the whole map and will ruin your game, then got jumped on myself when I spoke up in IORs defense by stating that it absolutely does NOT break precombineds. It is exhausting.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize, I see my sarcasm didn't come off correctly, Yes I should have used some sarcasm tags. :laugh: Was doing a fresh install of the game so I was sitting on the sofa with my tablet when I replied to Trosski. He seemed to get me but he dose also spend time over there and I know most of you don't bother going to beth for good reason so I can see how I could have come off wrong.

Just a funny example of some of the other sort of misinformation floating around that site is, the other day someone who was obviously new to modding their game asked a question because they installed a settlement mod. They had lost their Structures tab in build mode and the first reply to the problem was "If the mod breaks Pre-Combineds that's causing the problem" :wallbash:

Again I apologize for sort of derailing this thread, it was just a little rant to Trosski's comment about people not knowing what they are talking about and not reading up on the subject. I've even told people over there to read this thread and gotten the response "It's 26 pages!! That's too much!" :wallbash:

Now that is a good question. I want to be optimistic and say Beth would have saw that coming, and perhaps in order to keep precombineds intact, the object would load in along side the precombineds, which is definitely possible.

As far as I know, the only way to get the reference to load in addition to the precombined mesh it is associated with is to delete the mention of the REFR from the XCRI record without deleting the precombined .nif.

Rasikko, I assume you mean something like (as an example) putting something that is part of a precombined mesh as a "Linked Reference", such as when you add the "WorkshopStackedItemParentKeyword". When I added that keyword to some idle markers for Scrap Everything, so that scrapping the mutfruit trees in Graygarden "scraps" the idle markers (so the robots wouldn't tend to air), it set the mutfruit trees as Persistent (which would, of course, break precombineds if those references had been precombined). Not sure if it would do the same for other ways of referencing them/other keywords, or how well the references would work if you rebuilt precombineds. It might just exclude things that are referenced, or it might just use the information from the REFR record as normal, since I think it just disables the visible/collision mesh from the actual object.

I apologize, I see my sarcasm didn't come off correctly, Yes I should have used some sarcasm tags. :laugh: Was doing a fresh install of the game so I was sitting on the sofa with my tablet when I replied to Trosski. He seemed to get me but he dose also spend time over there and I know most of you don't bother going to beth for good reason so I can see how I could have come off wrong.

Just a funny example of some of the other sort of misinformation floating around that site is, the other day someone who was obviously new to modding their game asked a question because they installed a settlement mod. They had lost their Structures tab in build mode and the first reply to the problem was "If the mod breaks Pre-Combineds that's causing the problem" :wallbash:

Even though I knew you were (almost violently) sarcastic, I had to fight the urge to correct the "information". They are just so wrong it makes me twitch.

Again I apologize for sort of derailing this thread, it was just a little rant to Trosski's comment about people not knowing what they are talking about and not reading up on the subject. I've even told people over there to read this thread and gotten the response "It's 26 pages!! That's too much!" :wallbash:

I like that they took the time to follow the link and see the length, but didn't bother to even read the first post. While there is lots of great info in the rest of the thread, unless you are a mod author (or making your own patches) the first post is all you really need. It'll tell you the basics of the system, and clear up 99% of the misunderstandings/misinformation on the previs/precombineds systems.

Interesting regarding the persistent refs, I'll have to play with that next I muck around with precalc. Could of swore I have seen some situations where there end up being 2 objects.

Just for trivia sake, was using a mod called Splinters, where doors could be destructible. Pity when the door is in the closed state, and destroyed, still occluded everything behind from the original previs. And the state of the doors gets saved. Can't recall if it was permanently or until cell reset, been a while.

And RE how to detect precombineds on console, 2 sentences edition.

Precombineds on: Mediocre frame rate.

Precombineds off: bye bye frame rate. :)

Interesting regarding the persistent refs, I'll have to play with that next I muck around with precalc. Could of swore I have seen some situations where there end up being 2 objects.

Just for trivia sake, was using a mod called Splinters, where doors could be destructible. Pity when the door is in the closed state, and destroyed, still occluded everything behind from the original previs. And the state of the doors gets saved. Can't recall if it was permanently or until cell reset, been a while.

And RE how to detect precombineds on console, 2 sentences edition.

Precombineds on: Mediocre frame rate.

Precombineds off: bye bye frame rate. :)

Wax on. Wax off. :P Edited by yakalrad

Now that is a good question. I want to be optimistic and say Beth would have saw that coming, and perhaps in order to keep precombineds intact, the object would load in along side the precombineds, which is definitely possible.

As far as I know, the only way to get the reference to load in addition to the precombined mesh it is associated with is to delete the mention of the REFR from the XCRI record without deleting the precombined .nif.

Rasikko, I assume you mean something like (as an example) putting something that is part of a precombined mesh as a "Linked Reference", such as when you add the "WorkshopStackedItemParentKeyword". When I added that keyword to some idle markers for Scrap Everything, so that scrapping the mutfruit trees in Graygarden "scraps" the idle markers (so the robots wouldn't tend to air), it set the mutfruit trees as Persistent (which would, of course, break precombineds if those references had been precombined). Not sure if it would do the same for other ways of referencing them/other keywords, or how well the references would work if you rebuilt precombineds. It might just exclude things that are referenced, or it might just use the information from the REFR record as normal, since I think it just disables the visible/collision mesh from the actual object.

No, I mean like putting a reference in an ObjectReference property, or any system where you much select the ref from a cell. I know it's safe to do this via condition function though(ref/cell is not flagged as edited and not picked up in FO4Edit). I'd say this would mostly be a concern for doors or things you want to disable.

OK Reading the posts after chucks, I'm not sure if the latter is hostile to chuck or what but I sincerely hope not. No good becomes of that, only the open sharing of information can draw solid conclusions, not politics and derogatory.

Don't worry, we're getting along fine, I was actually wondering if he missed his sarcasm tags somewhere. :smile:

@chuck: Thanks for clearing this up, I was legit dumbfounded :D

Getting on-topic again: Is there a quick and easy way to tell (maybe an xEdit script?) if a STAT or SCOL is part of a precombined mesh somewhere?

Edited by payl0ad

Probably the easiest way to see if a base object has any REFR record that is part of a precombined mesh is to:

1) "Build reference info" for all plugins that don't have it already (usually just Fallout4.esm)

2) Open the "Referenced By" tab

3) Expand the "Record" column until you can see if any of them end in "In Precombined\xxxxxxxxxxx"

you can always poke the ref.

Probably the easiest way to see if a base object has any REFR record that is part of a precombined mesh is to:

1) "Build reference info" for all plugins that don't have it already (usually just Fallout4.esm)

2) Open the "Referenced By" tab

3) Expand the "Record" column until you can see if any of them end in "In Precombined\xxxxxxxxxxx"

is that in XEdit? is there a way to find that info in the CK? I tried looking at use info, but that only tells you that it is tied to a ref in a particular cell... Not if it is part of a precombined mesh.