Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

Just a gut feeling on my part really. I know this game, am very observant, know when things are off. I can’t do this with my Xbox game because it is too heavily modded and I don’t have the reserve space, but my old vanilla PS4 game is pristine and untouched. After some tests today with trying to find mods for PS4 that break global precombineds in Nuka-World, in an effort to find more texture swaps, it suddenly hit me that maybe the reason there are NO mods on PS4 that openly break global precombineds in NW is because it would be too obvious because of the bottle glitch? Even the Nuka-World Settelements mod WITH the uncombined addon is very careful to avoid areas where the bottle glitch happens. And I definitely know it doesn’t break globals in NW, cause I know where to look.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I distinctly remember having the bottle glitch (the giant bottles in some places, like at the bossfight against Colter) in a vanilla setup on PC, back when NW was brand new. Seeing that the fix mod on PC simply disables these placed refs I'm relatively certain it's just a bug in the vanilla ESMs but that could be wrong.

FWIW, I encountered the Giant Bottle Syndrome a long while back while experimenting with various .ini edits, including the dreaded bUseCombinedObjects=0. This was pretty much right after Nuka World was released. Maybe the game was at 1.8.X at that point?

Upon entering the Nuka Cola Cars Area the first time with the .ini edit added I got the giant bottles. At the time I had no idea what was going on, and didn’t realize it was the bottles that were covering the cell. After finding a few references on the Googles to precombines being disabled possibly causing it I assumed that was the problem, at least in part.

Just tried replicating it on a current character with the .ini edit and wasn’t able to….bottles in the Arena were normal sized. Maybe it has been fixed in one of the many updates since then? Could also be just coincidence that I had it happen with the .ini edit based on payl0ads post above mine.

It might very well be that I was using that ini edit back then, when information about it were still not well understood by many.

Same here. Didn't really know what it did...but saw so many people and mods using it, I figured "Why not? What's the worst that can happen?" :laugh:

To have this glitch happen in a modded PS4 game though, where .ini edits are not possible, means there has to be some other root cause. This bottle glitch doesn’t happen in a vanilla console game and only started appearing after mods were thrown into the mix. If it turns out that broken precombineds are in fact the cause of this glitch, and the only way to correct it are to either regenerate precombineds or replace the bugged models, it would mean that a fix for this glitch is not possible on PS4, right?

On the subject of the Nuka-World bottle glitch, I finally found a mod that I could test on my vanilla PS4 game that breaks precombineds across the whole NW map. It is called Nuka World Glory and is also available on Beth for Xbox and on Nexus here: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18393/

It is a complete overhaul of NW that removes all the Raider clutter, adds colorful trees and green grass across the whole map, revamps some interiors such as The Gauntlet and the Cola-Cars Arena, cleans the parks up and basically makes the place look as close to pre-war as it can. By its very nature and coming in at only 7.1 mb, at least on both console versions I checked, it is definitely breaking precombines.

Interestingly enough, when the MA revamped the interior of the Cola-Cars arena, where the bottle glitch is most prevalent, he replaced all of the vanilla bottles with enlarged versions of the various Nuka-Cola drinks in the game. However, he missed a couple of spots in the exterior parks where the glitch occurs and therefore, the grossly enlarged models still appear. The attached pic was taken after loading Nuka World Glory on my vanilla level 242 PS4 save. The screenshot is of the entrance to Dry Rock Gulch, but there is also another example of the bottle glitch you can observe near the entrance to The World of Refreshment.

I cannot really confirm any of my suspicions since I am limited to Xbox and PS4 and therefore cannot investigate behind the scenes, but I think my theory that this bottle glitch happens ONLY when precombineds are broken is looking more and more sound. If it does turn out that this glitch is definitely caused by broken precombineds, it would be relevant to the information contained in this thread and be yet another visual clue of such, much as the texture swaps and the inability to place furniture are indicators.

May the 4th be with you! :P

Edited by yakalrad

I might have been wrong in my assumption about this glitch not being correctable on PS4, because it obviously is, as the MA of Nuka World Glory fixed the interior of the Cola-Cars arena by replacing the models. If so, this means that an observant MA could find and replace all the instances where this glitch occurs and then claim otherwise, much like the keyword that can be added to forms that lose furniture placement when precombineds are broken. Smoke and mirrors...