Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for asking, but when generating viz for precombined, is packing the data into an archive strictly necessary? In other words, can you have loose files for this data as one would have loose files for say, npc textures and meshes? Why or why not?

Forgive me for asking, but when generating viz for precombined, is packing the data into an archive strictly necessary? In other words, can you have loose files for this data as one would have loose files for say, npc textures and meshes? Why or why not?

Both the .nif files and the vis .uvd can be loose but I do suggest packing them into an archive for release of your mod, the loose files could cause other modders issues like them accidentally being packed with their mod. For mod users there’s a possibility of them being overwritten by another mod.

Both the .nif files and the vis .uvd can be loose but I do suggest packing them into an archive for release of your mod, the loose files could cause other modders issues like them accidentally being packed with their mod. For mod users there’s a possibility of them being overwritten by another mod.

Thank you for the clarification.

Also, as these files are typically many small files, using archives reduces I/O (and thus CPU) overhead to a relevant degree, making load stutter and FPS drops less likely.

Edited by payl0ad

Also, as these files are typically many small files, using archives reduces I/O (and thus CPU) overhead to a relevant degree, making load stutter and FPS drops less likely.

But for testing purposes, creating a new archive every time is just a waste of it.