Zorlon - Levdia

Malchik

Ford rushes over to the shop he saw Lurel pointing to, stumbling slightly under the weight of all the fruit.. Once inside...

"Hey, do they sell anything we need here? I already got some fresh fruit... there are some stalls still open outside but probably not for long."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lurel shakes his head at the shopkeeper. "Not Branden Forest. We're heading for the sea. Are there any lodgings that way?"

He accords the shopkeeper a conspiratorial grin. "It's a bit of a dare we've got on with some friends, you see. Everyone keeps telling us that we'll never make it and that the sea's too far away. We really want to show them, so any help or information you could give us would be welcome."

He turns around. "Hello Ford. What else do the stalls sell? Anything we might need?"

Then his attention is back on the shopkeeper. "Like I was saying, we want to be as well prepared as possible. Travel rations, rope, porridge oats, tea - and maybe some extra water bottles might not be such a bad idea. How much for all that? What's the terrain like between here and the sea - is there plenty of shelter?"

Hardly pausing for breath, he addresses Ford again. "Have I forgotten anything?"

Taken aback at the speed of the delivery the shop keeper has to stop and think. He then addresses Ford:

"I'll sort out the hardware but tea and porridge will be with the dried goods merchant. He has a stall outside."

To Lurel he says. "Rope, water bottles - you have bedrolls, tents, groundsheets? You might need gloves but the clothiers are closed now. I've got an old pair I'll throw in for nothing if you spend 10 gold."

He pauses again. "The sea, you say? I tried to make it once with a friend. One badly split forehead and a broken ankle later... Well, I wish you the joy of it. The terrain - there's not even enough flat land to put a foot down straight."

He starts pulling the items you have asked for towards him. "How many water bottles did you want?"

Lisette continued to eat her dinner quickly and efficiently. "They bothered me before. They aren't bothering me now. I admit that I probably went overboard with the swords, but what's done is done. I can't take it back now."

She looks curiously at Midge. "What did you mean by 'you could drop them all in a second..?'"

"I don't think so Lurel..."

Hearing the shop keeper's answer he nods and walks out the door, heading for what looks like a dried goods merchant stall. When he arrives he addresses the vendor.

"Hello, could I have some porridge and tea please?"

Ford hands over the 2 gold pieces and takes the goods. He heads back to the shop and once inside he addresses Lurel.

"Hey, I got the tea and porridge!"

He shows Lurel the carton and sack.

"Shall we head back to the inn?"

Lurel thinks for a moment.

"The terrain doesn't sound suitable for camping," he replies thoughtfully, " but maybe a groundsheet or two might be useful. Make it four waterbottles, please, as well as the rope. And I never thought about gloves, but I daresay they might come in handy. How much for all that and a couple of groundsheets?"

He looks at the shopkeeper quizzically. "If you don't mind me asking, how did you get injured on your trip to the sea? Did you trip, or get caught in some freak weather, or something like that? It would be good to know of any possible dangers before we set out."

Lurel fishes in his pockets for some of the gold coins he carries.

"Water bottles 2 gold for four, rope 2 gold, groundsheets one gold a piece. Don't come to ten gold. Why not take a tent? Got one that sleeps two six gold or a big one for eleven. Or you can buy the gloves for one gold piece."

He holds up a disreputable looking pair of gloves. The best that can be said of them is that the palms are thick leather.

"As for our wounds. Well, first it rains so hard each step sends us slithering. That's when I broke my ankle. Then it bakes so dry when I fall... Well, you're going to find that out, aren't you?"

His supercilious smile makes it quite clear that he knows you will soon be back.

"Rain," Lurel replies with a shudder. "In that case I suppose tents might not be such a bad idea. We'll take two of the smaller tents, if you have them - they might be easier to pitch than one large one. And the water bottles, and rope. That brings us to over ten gold coins, right? So yes, please, I'd like the gloves too. And if you have travel rations, we'll have some of those too."

He starts counting out gold coins and placing them on the counter, then suddenly notices Ford.

"Oh, hello Ford. I didn't notice you coming in. Do you think we have enough food?"

Lurel grimaces. "All that food and equipment is going to be heavy. Do you think we'll manage to get it all back to the inn?"

Archived