⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

ianpatt

The big problem is the very wide range of functions. I don't think there's actually any one person (even on the SKSE team itself) who knows enough about all of those functions to create a complete test suite.

I don't know what functions in the NetImmerse or SpawnerTask scripts are supposed do much less how to test them. There's also a whole set of functions implemented for RaceMenu features and an entirely different set added to support some combat overhaul mods. Most of what SKSE provides for SkyUI is actually directly through the Scaleform APIs and not Papyrus itself.

So far all of the inventory related, basic array enhancements, core UI, and misc functions like crosshair detection that I've tested are working. There's something very broken about the functions I use in my enchantment swapper mod, but I was under the impression that a modder who knows far more about those had already reported what was broken. Some mods are having problems with key and event registrations. I made a bug report to the team a long time ago that registrations aren't getting restored from the co-save files unless the underlying object doing the registration in an Actor. So registrations attached to quest scripts fail after a reload, but those attached to reference aliases still work.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that there were at least a few of us who tried porting our own mods and reported problems we encountered. I reported the bug that was fixed on the very first update, then I reported two others and never heard back from the team. I was told that other mod authors had reported a few more issues and I've seen a few lists posted over time in places the SKSE team should have seen (since at least one team member was part of the discussion).

But I also do get the sense that there have been very, very few of us actually testing our mods. Especially in those early days there seemed to be more people interested in having their mod be one of the first ported. I saw one early port that didn't work simply because the author was in such a rush to be first that there was a mistake in repackaging the mod. It was absolutely clear that zero testing had actually been done. At least in some cases mod authors seem to know less about SKSE64 than mod users. Maybe the mistake was assuming that mod authors using SKSE functions would know and care enough to actually help make sure SKSE64 is working correctly.

If there's a third group simply waiting for some future time when all the bugs are worked out (by others) and they can simply port their mods then I have even less respect for them than I do for the zero-testing crowd.

If Ian thinks there's only one known bug in the alpha release then either they've fixed quite a few problems so far or he's somehow forgotten the feedback they were given. In either case, at this point I think it's time for a new release because we've certainly gotten as much feedback from most mod authors as we're ever going to see.

I think the residual bugs are few and obscure, so they are hard to stumble over in normal testing.

I've ported one of my own mods and found just one bug (more of an anomaly, really) which I reported to the SKSE team and they replied that it was known and would be fixed in the next release. That was back in November, though, and since then I haven't found any more. There was a related bug in PapyrusUtil that has been partly fixed by the author coding a workaround for the SKSE bug. Then I uploaded the SKSE-enabled mod for users to try to break, but so far no-one has (apart from identifying some conflicts with another mod, but that wasn't SKSE-related).

So it's a case of my tests not being fierce enough to find many errors.

• 3 weeks later...

The big problem is the very wide range of functions. I don't think there's actually any one person (even on the SKSE team itself) who knows enough about all of those functions to create a complete test suite.

I don't know what functions in the NetImmerse or SpawnerTask scripts are supposed do much less how to test them. There's also a whole set of functions implemented for RaceMenu features and an entirely different set added to support some combat overhaul mods. Most of what SKSE provides for SkyUI is actually directly through the Scaleform APIs and not Papyrus itself.

So far all of the inventory related, basic array enhancements, core UI, and misc functions like crosshair detection that I've tested are working. There's something very broken about the functions I use in my enchantment swapper mod, but I was under the impression that a modder who knows far more about those had already reported what was broken. Some mods are having problems with key and event registrations. I made a bug report to the team a long time ago that registrations aren't getting restored from the co-save files unless the underlying object doing the registration in an Actor. So registrations attached to quest scripts fail after a reload, but those attached to reference aliases still work.

Yeah, I'm told that the enchantment swapping element of the script that you wrote for Immersive Jewelry isn't working. The rings swap and bring the custom names over, but not the player made enchantments. I don't know if anyone has reported this though, or even to whom it should be reported.

Here's SKSE64 2.0.7 for runtime 1.5.39: 7z archive.

whatsnew:

- support for runtime 1.5.39

- fixed SimpleLock/BSReadWriteLock implementation

- fixed Ammo functions

edit:

The version check in PapyrusUtil SE is broken, and would crash the game if loaded. I've added this version of that plugin to an internal compatibility table to stop it from crashing, and contacted the author with details of how to fix the problem.

Edited by ianpatt

Here's SKSE64 2.0.7 for runtime 1.5.39: 7z archive.

whatsnew:

- support for runtime 1.5.39

- fixed SimpleLock/BSReadWriteLock implementation

- fixed Ammo functions

edit:

The version check in PapyrusUtil SE is broken, and would crash the game if loaded. I've added this version of that plugin to an internal compatibility table to stop it from crashing, and contacted the author with details of how to fix the problem.

Thank you!

Cool. Latest SKSE64 still fails to launch on my end, with or without mods, however. Same problem as the last time I brought it up, and i've been unable to resolve this problem. Have also tried running as administrator.

Edited by Falloutdude11