New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

Can you not add the old nexusmods style as a optional theme so that people can choose for those who preferred the old design

Edit: Even if you put a statement saying that you will not support the old 'theme' and that is is only there to keep people happy

That would imply that the site owner actually cares about us, as things stand he knows he has a basic monopoly, and does not have to concern himself with keeping his users happy.

Frankly every page could have a gif of Pennywise rubbing satans nipples on it and we would have to live with it.

we can only hope that they actually care about the people who use this website

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope I'm not to late to drop an opinion.

I prefer the layout of the old site. The direct categorization menu system just logical to me. Then again I am and old win 95 guy.

The new sites reliance on modernized frame architecture (probably borrowed from social media sites) is frankly confusing. For instance I want to look at all graphic mods for Fallout New Vegas.

• Navigate to Fallout New Vegas page
  • search page for tiny "Explore All Mods" button.
  • expand refine results after enabling the script hook that its running in. (extreme security setting - probably only a few visitors affected)
  • scroll through the category list until I find "Visual and Graphics"
  • click on "Apply Filters"
  • start scrolling through and find a mod that fits my needs.

On the old site

• Navigate to Fallout New Vegas page
  • select categories
  • select Visual and Graphics
  • start scrolling through and find a mod that fits my needs.

I understand the old site may have been missing some needed features from an admin or an up-loaders perspective but from a user perspective it was good.

The top thing I would love to see return is the old side bar for refining results. Honestly the seamless/continuous scroll web page theme to me is ridiculous as it forces information to be framed in only a few select ways.

If nothing else build a server side frame work that can organize and categorize the information in a general database and then build 2 or 3 web gate way themes that the end users can choose between.

Maybe even don't design them just draft them as concept art like 15 or so examples of how each aspect of a proposed design would look, and then do a voting pole for users on what they like. Also send an e-mail to all users registered on the site so you can get reviews from as many users as possible (including inactive users).

Made a previous post about this earlier in this thread. It happened again today and I'm providing a bit more information in case it might be browser/OS specific.

Current browser: FireFox

Open up Skyrim Nexus site page for first time today, the Update tab has no number on it. The assumption is that there is nothing there. However, I put my mouse on the tab anyway. There is a single notice from ~4 hrs ago about Vortex (at time of this posting).

For some reason when there is only ONE notice, there is no number displayed indicating that there is a notice.

Please look into this and see if it can be corrected as soon as possible. Thank you.

I had the same problem. Firefox for whatever reason is starting to suck like a black hole. I went to my notification settings, and lo and behold, they defaulted back to off. Who knows? Maybe it's the site being tweaked, or it's firefox not liking the new site.

And for the others, holy ****. Stop already.

"Oh, the owner doesn't care about us! The owner wants to greedily make money! He doesn't care about the opinion of the majority! He's going to steal our first born!" Well, maybe that last part is a stretch, but still...

The problem is, you think this is Robin:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/9d02368785cbefba1f4fd922f36f9db0/tumblr_nm5tkyR6tK1qlu8two2_500.gif

When the reality is actually more like this:

http://49.media.tumblr.com/c48bd37a7ff2e5c3a23704e06a834750/tumblr_ms66d3Rj2N1r0b2hgo8_400.gif

"Get that **** outta here! We ain't having bad coding!"

You realize how ridiculous your assertion is, right? Robin is setting up the new site so that there's less disruption moving forward in the future. Face it, the old site was going the way of the dinosaur if for no other reason than because the formatting and coding was archaic in internet terms, and needed to be brought forward and updated to the newer coding and formatting that is out there. This is the equivalent of complaining about Chrome not using java anymore, and Firefox starting to do the same. Should they put their browsers at risk simply to satisfy a few vocal flagellants in the minority? (And yes, I know exactly what flagellant means, and I stand by it) Or should they move forward and establish a newer solid foundation to build on that will allow greater innovation and customization later on?

Seriously, quit with the whining. It's beating a dead horse that was taken out back and shot for a reason.

The new site setup still has a mod categories listing without any requirement of the search functions, it's in the dropdown tabs.

"Mods" dropdown - mod categories. Brings you to the same list as the old site.

In your example, the New Vegas listing:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/categories/

Pick a category and continue.

OK took me almost 10 minutes to find it.

Again nested and obscured menus are difficult for some to understand. Not everyone thinks the same.

Again new changes will only work for some users. You may like the new view but I like the older database styled look (think newegg).

Absolute disdain for the new design, I'm not saying scrap it but I'd like for it to be an option to use the old layout like how youtube allows you to revert to the older layout.

yea the admins should make it a theme so people can choose it, instead of forcing their ideology onto others

Navigation is IMO much more opaque than on the old site. It's also really difficult to tell whether you are on the Skyrim or Skyrim SE site as everything is styled identically and the text identifying the site is rather small. On the old site you could tell at a glance which one you were on.

I also REALLY don't like the way the sort now defaults to new instead of trending. It makes it much more difficult to find the mods I'm looking for. Also it could encourage modders to release lots of minor tweaks to their mods to their mods to increase visibility. Trending is far from prefect, and is obviously very subjective, but IMO is a less bad default way of sorting than new. Perhaps tweak the trending algorithm to have more weight to newness? It seems to place most weight on downloads & endorsements, which favours older mods.

At least have some obvious way to set the default sort to your taste (if there is a way I still haven't found it).

Absolute disdain for the new design, I'm not saying scrap it but I'd like for it to be an option to use the old layout like how youtube allows you to revert to the older layout.

Scrap it.

I'll say it. The new design is garbage. Making s#*! more modern at the cost of usability is a stupid decision happening everywhere nowadays. Flat colors, no borders, just an absolute mess to navigate.

I hope they're hiring a new web developer because they fired whoever designed this abomination.