[ASK] How to fix Black Face bug?

celebriton

Also a lesser well known magic trick is with SKSE and HDT. You'll exchange loading times for no more black faces. In file hdtSkyrimMemPatch.ini :

[Exception]
AutoSaveGame = true
MiniDumpWithFullMemory = false
ReportToWindows = true

[Memory]
RecordFormHeapAllocateFailed = true
FormHeapAllocateFromLargerSpace = true
FixInfiniteLoad = true
ReplaceDefaultHavokHeap = true

[Optimize]
FasterLoading = false

You change Fasterloading to false. It is normally to true. Perhaps it helps someone...

Sorry to necro the thread, but what mod exactly does hdtSkyrimMemPatch.ini come from? I'm not seeing it anywhere. steamapps Skyrim folder, Documents Skyrim folder, Data folder, SKSE folder.. There are so many other types. SkyrimEditor.ini, Skyrim.ini, SkyrimCustom.ini, I'm not sure which one to put the Optimize section in @_@

Edited by Culuf

Culuf : This is only when you experience this when using HDT (physics engine) it would be in Data\SKSE\plugins I believe.

If you don't have it try to get your memory usage down, or to optimize it : in SKSE.ini

Do you have these lines?

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

• 1 month later...

Also a lesser well known magic trick is with SKSE and HDT. You'll exchange loading times for no more black faces. In file hdtSkyrimMemPatch.ini :

[Exception]
AutoSaveGame = true
MiniDumpWithFullMemory = false
ReportToWindows = true

[Memory]
RecordFormHeapAllocateFailed = true
FormHeapAllocateFromLargerSpace = true
FixInfiniteLoad = true
ReplaceDefaultHavokHeap = true

[Optimize]
FasterLoading = false

You change Fasterloading to false. It is normally to true. Perhaps it helps someone...

Thanks. Your post inspired me to delete HDT Physics Extension & it solved the problem. I think I only got it to make a mod work that I got rid of at some point anyway. I don't even remember what it does.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i accidentally activated another mafkit mod for custom body when i already had cbbe installed and f*#@ed up my follower i had just made and panicked and now my followers look weird again :/ my other follow has no face which is black and the one i made has a blue line over her eyebrows that i did not put there :(

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so just in case anyone still needs help with this black face bug, I finally found a solution that worked for me. I noticed, from time to time, random npcs would have a black face. Then, the problem carried over to my Bijin modded npcs. I believe this started happening because I was doing the alt+f4 command in the CK. Don't do that. Instead, dig into your Skyrim Data folder to look for two specific files.

One is:

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Skyrim.esm

The other folder is:

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Textures\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Skyrim.esm

Notice the only thing different in these two paths is that one is under Meshes in the data folder, while the other is under Textures. If you have these two folders, delete them. This is (from what I can gather) Skyrim trying to add in the meshes and textures for those NPCs and it's clashing with your selected mods, creating a "black bug." Now, if I'm wrong on that, someone please correct me. I also reinstalled Bijin and my other NPC mods WICO and Tempered Skins for Males, though that may not have been required, I didn't check before I did it. Also, I make sure WICO and Bijin stay low in the load order. I hope I helped someone with this!

• 3 months later...

Ok so just in case anyone still needs help with this black face bug, I finally found a solution that worked for me. I noticed, from time to time, random npcs would have a black face. Then, the problem carried over to my Bijin modded npcs. I believe this started happening because I was doing the alt+f4 command in the CK. Don't do that. Instead, dig into your Skyrim Data folder to look for two specific files.

One is:

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Skyrim.esm

The other folder is:

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Textures\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Skyrim.esm

Notice the only thing different in these two paths is that one is under Meshes in the data folder, while the other is under Textures. If you have these two folders, delete them. This is (from what I can gather) Skyrim trying to add in the meshes and textures for those NPCs and it's clashing with your selected mods, creating a "black bug." Now, if I'm wrong on that, someone please correct me. I also reinstalled Bijin and my other NPC mods WICO and Tempered Skins for Males, though that may not have been required, I didn't check before I did it. Also, I make sure WICO and Bijin stay low in the load order. I hope I helped someone with this!

Thank you! You did help me!

Not only did a follower get a black face but it also crashed the game if closer than 30 feet to the player. The follower is also carrying alot of dragon stuff!

In the folder you mention I had a duplicate of the follower. I deleted that and everything seems OK now.

I reinstalled Skyrim and all mods before trying this which didn't help.

I assume the uninstallation didn't delete that folder, never looked.

Big thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey dudes and dudettes, seriously, just spent 2 hours cycling through my model and texture mods trying to find the answer to this riddle. After turning them off and on again a couple of times, updating skse to the latest patch (i was one behind) and updating NMM i figured it cant be my mod load order or anything of the sort. So i started cycling through the programmes I had running and here lies the issue. I've always got the likes of skype and browsers, spotify and all the jazz, but only till recently have I started to use Overwolf, and this little s**t is the cause of the issues. Apparently skyrim or SKSE hates anything that puts an overlay over the game.

Anyway, hope this helps yall, and stops you having to go through the process I did,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This is not a fix, exactly, but something I noticed in my last 3 games. (None are finished of course, that may happen next decade). No blackface, no greyface (except where a particular mod has the issue), and no fuzzy tattoo textures. At least, if I ever had the blackface issue in one of these games it's so long ago that I don't remember.

What did I do? I started 2 of these games with all the mods I planned to use and didn't update. The other game I started with all that I could, and added the last mod(s) while I was still in Helgen. One game was the vanilla start and the other two were ASLAL. That's it.

I can't say that doing this solves all these texture problems, just that I haven't had any so far. When I was having CTD and other issues not related to textures or blackface, somebody informed me that because of the way scripts are baked(?) into the game at the beginning, adding or updating mods afterwards can cause problems. Not adding mods or updating mods in=game seems to be working and only recently did I realize that the random blackface and other texture issues are no longer present. Tempting as it is to add or update, I'm going to avoid doing so - at least until I can finally finish the main campaign.

Maybe this will help somebody else.