Error: F4SE not installed (But it is!)

Triggerhappy1313

So as the title says, I keep getting "Error: F4SE not installed" errors in game in a popup. I know something is wrong, but for all intents and purposes, I have installed F4SE. I launch with it. I have gone back through the steps 5 times now.

Yet in game, certain functions aren't working. LooksMenu preset is "grayed" out. The Morphs are the same. What the heck is going on? I am really lost and could use another pair of eyes. Or another non fried mind. Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hi all

I'm getting the same problem, even though the F4SE is installed (and its registering on the start up screen), I still get the error message on a new game stating that it's not installed. I have all the mods and counter mods that are needed, and the bloody thing is installed, but the game is not registering that it's installed, so none of my animations will work - sometimes the menu for them won't work either.

I read in another post a long winded process of trying to get it to work - as follows:

delete the scripts folder in the games data folder , delete falou4prefs.ini and fallout4.ini in your docs folder.
open fallout4.custom.ini
it should have this in it
delete f4se_loader.exe , f4se_steam_loader.dll , f4se_1_10_64.dll from the games main folder
if there are any other previous versions of these delete them too . check the games data folder and make sure you didnt add those to it there
disable steam cloud .
if you added anything to the games launcher options remove that too
then verify the games integrity
steam >library
rt click fo4 then select properties
select local files
then verify the games cash
disable all mods in nmm (uncheck in nmm "plugins") not the games esm or the dlc
just the mods
start a new game with the regular launcher , let when the game sets the options check the resolution make sure it's the same as your monitor ,
make a save after the mirror
exit game
verify that the .ini's are not read only
verify that custom.ini has
[Display]
iLocation x=0
iLocation y=0
[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
re-download f4se from silverlock
extract the .dll's and the .exe to the games main folder (NOT the data folder)
when they are in the games folder rt click f4se_loader.exe and select run as admin
open the data folder , verify you have a f4se folder in it , and in the f4se folder verify that ther is a plugins folder
if it all looks good start the game again with the regular launcher run your new save for a min .
exit game
now f4se knows what to hook into ,
launch the game with f4se_loader.exe

Thank you Undeadbob666 - Update:

I have re downloaded all mods and their dependants, made sure they were compatible with my version of FO4 - 1.10.114 - then changed the load order for the animation to be under AFF, and the results are:

i have the menus but no animation

still have the error message come up

when I select a animation from the list the camera pulls back from first person view, but nothing happens

Will fiddle with the load order and see what happens.

Well sorry I figured that would help your case, and was also hoping someone more knowledgeable would come along (they typically do when I comment lol). You'll have to try deactivating all your mods and activating one at a time until you find the culprit perhaps? Sorry wish I could give an easy solution, but oft times using mods is like wrestling a drunken hobbit in a wet potato sack.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I'm getting the same problem, even though the F4SE is installed (and its registering on the start up screen), I still get the error message on a new game stating that it's not installed. I have all the mods and counter mods that are needed, and the bloody thing is installed, but the game is not registering that it's installed, so none of my animations will work - sometimes the menu for them won't work either.

I read in another post a long winded process of trying to get it to work - as follows:

delete the scripts folder in the games data folder , delete falou4prefs.ini and fallout4.ini in your docs folder.
open fallout4.custom.ini
it should have this in it
delete f4se_loader.exe , f4se_steam_loader.dll , f4se_1_10_64.dll from the games main folder
if there are any other previous versions of these delete them too . check the games data folder and make sure you didnt add those to it there
disable steam cloud .
if you added anything to the games launcher options remove that too
then verify the games integrity
steam >library
rt click fo4 then select properties
select local files
then verify the games cash
disable all mods in nmm (uncheck in nmm "plugins") not the games esm or the dlc
just the mods
start a new game with the regular launcher , let when the game sets the options check the resolution make sure it's the same as your monitor ,
make a save after the mirror
exit game
verify that the .ini's are not read only
verify that custom.ini has
[Display]
iLocation x=0
iLocation y=0
[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
re-download f4se from silverlock
extract the .dll's and the .exe to the games main folder (NOT the data folder)
when they are in the games folder rt click f4se_loader.exe and select run as admin
open the data folder , verify you have a f4se folder in it , and in the f4se folder verify that ther is a plugins folder
if it all looks good start the game again with the regular launcher run your new save for a min .
exit game
now f4se knows what to hook into ,
launch the game with f4se_loader.exe

I realize this topic is a year old but I ran into the same problem today. I followed your directions and it actually worked. So I saved game shut down to come here and thank you, but a friend came over so I chatted for a bit and reloaded the game, and the MCM is missing again. FML

I have been modding since before the Oblivion days and I have run into a lot of weird problems, but this is a unique one, never ran into this before.

I must have installed MCM 20 times now , both manually and through NMM.

It was there for 30 seconds though.

• 3 weeks later...

Note for anyone having this problem in the future (this thread is the top result on Google) - I managed to fix mine by realising that I was incompetent, lol.

When reading the Notepad installation file I missed "Copy the Data folder over too". Make sure you have the .DLL files and the F4SE loader in your Fo4 installation folder, but MAKE SURE YOU COPY THE DATA FOLDER TOO!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...