Blood on the Ice CTD

Cruser1068

Hi, I wonder if anyone can fix this annoying glitch. In fairness I've pretty much finished Skyrim SE. I'm level 90 and have 427 hours logged. I think I've done all the quests, I've mastered all the skills and nearly all of the perks (using a Convert Spare Dragon Souls to Perk mod). I'm married, own all the official homes and several unofficial ones. I'm a Thane everywhere, head of all the organisations. I'm running 167 mods and I have to say the game has run sweet as a nut. It's smooth and responsive and it's only once in a blue moon I get a CTD. Way better than my experience with vanilla Skyrim

Â

BUT there's one exception. One quest remains incomplete....one annoying quest is ruining my day, the notoriously buggy Blood on the Ice. It's virtually complete. All I have to do is return to Jorlief and tell him I've identified (and killed) the real killer, at which point he will thank me and release Wuunferth and the quest will end. The problem is, the moment I do that, the game will become unstable and CTD...it doesn't happen instantly, sometimes it will occur as I exit the Palace, usually it will happen the moment I fast travel somewhere...occasionally I can fast travel twice....BUT IT WILL DEFINITELY CRASH. GUARANTEED.

Â

I identified this as the culprit many, many game hours ago when I was level 30 or something. Since then I have left the quest unfinished and continued playing without issues. From time to time I will attempt to complete the quest, wondering if the buggy conditions causing the CTD have rectified themselves somehow....but to no avail. So I reload my save before attempting to finish the quest and go about my business. But now there is very little business left to attend to and I would dearly like to solve this. Can anyone suggest anything. My load order is fully LOOT'ed and my masters cleaned with SSEEDIT. The game is rock solid in every other respect.

Â

Help!!!!

Edited by Cruser1068

Hmm. If you're using NMM (or another mod manger) maybe simply disable all but the most essential mods (not un-install them, simply disable them) and see if you can finish the quest. Make another save after doing so if the game seems to be remaining stable. NOW re-enable the mods and see if it remains stable.

Clunky, I know. But if it works you can at least put the quest behind you. Then you can tackle "Beyond Skyrim, Bruma". (Unless you've already done so...)

I guess I could try that. However, in the meantime I've been busy trying a new character. I had a little trouble starting a new game, Unbound wouldn't function properly and originally the wagon ride wouldn't work (easy...Helgen Reborn conflict) and then just stuck with the guy stood in front of the executioner. After a little experimentation I disabled Helgen Reborn, Diverse Dragons and Immersive Armors, and completed Unbound. I then re-enabled all 3 mods after exiting the cave and have played normally with ALL my mods enabled. My new character is now Level 21 (doesnt take long when youre on a mission does it!) and last night I fully completed Blood on the Ice without a single problem! The only noticeable difference is that this time I did the quest very early in my playthrough before starting Dragon Rising or speaking with Ulfric etc. So it makes me think it's related somehow to the timeline and the order you do things in. I guess I may never find out what's at the root of the problem. I just know that this quest has loads of potential bugs from reading the reams of problems others have posted here and elsewhere on diverse platforms, some very similar to mine.

I forgot to ask what GPU you have. Specifically how much VRAM it has. If you have 2GB or less, you may simply be running into memory issues after a long play-through. For SE with even a moderate mod load, I recommend a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM.

• 8 months later...

Same exact problem here. Speaking to Jorleif makes me CTD and prevents me from completing blood on the ice.

I even tried to use setstage to complete the quest, which worked alright... I then went to Jorleif to complete a radiant quest... CTD again !!

I guess I'll leave him alone now until I find a way around.

• 1 year later...

Same here. Took me 2 days of playing with heavily scripted mods, trying to figure out what was causing it. Updated mods, re-installed, disabled, used wrye bash to target issues, rebuild patch, used xedit to clean mods (as per Loot) and to re-order masters to match.... Nothing! I even double checked my memory patch, but it already is allowing max memory. I cleaned my save with savetool and my game was running better than ever. Still getting CTDs and I knew it wasn't my memory being maxed out, or script overload, or error log overload.

Finally I narrowed it down to 2 quests in the area. Ending Blood on Ice by speaking to Jorleif was the culprit. Thank GOD I can now play without constant crashes. How ironic that I have over 300 mods and it was a vanilla quest that caused it... 9 years after release!!!

Grrrrr!

P.S. Going to force the quest to complete through console. Hope it works since at least 1 person can verify it did.

• 2 weeks later...

@kichigaikikyokagome

Did console completion fix your issue? I'm having the same problem others have and I've identified BotI as the culprit as well.

I complete the quest and within the next few game hours (i.e. within 10 real-time minutes) I CTD, without fail.

• 4 months later...

Well i'm sorta late in checkin in on this, sorry. I did Blood on the Ice several times in Skyrim, but never got that far playin Skyrim SE. That was on my old computer that died a tragic death, went south while I was on Google.

Anyways, loaded all games on new computer and figured to go with Skyrim SE first. Don't know how many hours I had invested when I started Blood on the Ice. Had the mod that allows buying the house after BOI. Well finished quest, had to console one stage, and went to Hjerim to sleep. Game CTD when I went to leave. Managed to get out and fast travel to Mixwater, game CTD a few seconds after i got there. Well, fast travel to Whiterun and same thing. Same with Riften, Markarth, Solitude and so on. Well hell, I deleted all saves and started a new game.

Same freakin thing after completing BOI. So checking things I found folks talking about how buggy BOI tends to be.

From what I read this happens almost every time BOI is completed. So I loaded a save before starting the quest. I plan on using console to finish it, from what I've read that seems to work.

Same exact problem here. Speaking to Jorleif makes me CTD and prevents me from completing blood on the ice.

I even tried to use setstage to complete the quest, which worked alright... I then went to Jorleif to complete a radiant quest... CTD again !!

I guess I'll leave him alone now until I find a way around.