So..... Vortex is basically the worst mod manager?

Lobstasaurus

I've been trying for a month and a half to get Vortex working flawlessly with Fallout New Vegas. And it just isn't happening. My advice:

USE ANOTHER MANAGER FOR ARCHIVE INVALIDATION

I'm currently using FOMM, and although it's a pain to toggle Archive Invalidation on/off after every change. It's the only way I've found to utilize Vortex's more 'fluid' functionality.

Now I'm poking around with LODgen and THAT doesn't work either.

Edit (zcul) 19 Nov 2018:

Last paragraph removed as it contains an offensive remark towards other users.

Forum and Commenting Guidelines (excerpt):

Be Civil!

• Do not post personally or generally insulting remarks towards someone else, or a group of people.

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/22-forum-and-commenting-guidelines

I've gotten plenty of kudos for helping people.

It's people like you who look for help, then refuse to listen to it, plus, it gets tiring answering the SAME questions over and over again, especially when there are usually several threads at any given moment on the first or second page that answer that particular question.

Also, quite a few of the questions I'm answering, I have already experienced personally, and am saving others time by telling them how I fixed it.

So by all means, go ahead and don't listen to me, I don't care.

As far as FONV with Vortex goes, you're going to end up messing up your game by using a third party Archive Invalidation tool, however, I know you won't listen to me when I tell you that, and I know you won't believe me when I tell you that Vortex's built in Archive Invalidation tool works...IF YOU DON'T TOGGLE IT ON AND OFF.

DON'T USE ANOTHER MANAGER TO MANAGE ARCHIVE INVALIDATION, there was already a couple of threads where using an external Archive Invalidation tool messed up their Textures while fixing others.

I ran into the problem myself, I did the old thing of Toggiling Archive Invalidation on then off, and it removed the entry from my ini file when I toggled it off, and it took me a while to get Vortex to put it back.

Vortex-Archive-Invalidation.jpg

Guest deleted34304850

USE ANOTHER MANAGER FOR ARCHIVE INVALIDATION

Also one last piece of advice: Don't bother reading anything HADTOREGISTER or anyone like him posts, they're all a bunch of elitist jerks who post bad/unhelpful advice. 9/10s of the time they just say something like "you did it wrong, here's a broken info page with 10,000 links for you to read LOL GG have fun figuring it out for yourself!"

you have given two pieces of advice out;

the first one, is probably the most destructive recommendation you can make, and will, if followed, cause no end of issues. so you're actively attempting to sabotage other people's games, because you are completely inept at trying to mod your own game.

the second piece of advice is just insulting to one of several people who give up their time to help people along with their issues.

if i were you, i'd follow the advice given in many places that says if you have a mod manager that works for you - don't change - you've ignore that advice and a good deal of other well meaning advice and instead you have flamed, trolled and abused people.

you're a disgrace.

• 7 months later...

i find it funny that all the

Also, just a heads up, usually Americans get this wrong all the time

Essentially, where I'm at right now, is reinstall the entire game, redo SKSE, then manually install 457 mods. After 3 days worth of wasting time utilizing Vortex. How dare I be frustrated, amirite?

So you ignored Nexus saying "If you have a working mod setup, STAY WITH YOUR OLD MOD MANAGER" and went ahead and ruined your install.

ok, enjoy yourself.

guess what? i can no longer login to nmm since the release of vortex due to the api key (an updated one was no help) and am being forced to either use vortex or install manually, i also find it ironic that the ONLY people i have seen who defend vortex are either supporters or premium members, Nexus literally took a good mod manager and turned it into something just about as useful as big screen mode on steam.

Also, just a heads up, usually Americans get this wrong all the time

Essentially, where I'm at right now, is reinstall the entire game, redo SKSE, then manually install 457 mods. After 3 days worth of wasting time utilizing Vortex. How dare I be frustrated, amirite?

So you ignored Nexus saying "If you have a working mod setup, STAY WITH YOUR OLD MOD MANAGER" and went ahead and ruined your install.

ok, enjoy yourself.

guess what? i can no longer login to nmm since the release of vortex due to the api key (an updated one was no help) and am being forced to either use vortex or install manually, i also find it ironic that the ONLY people i have seen who defend vortex are either supporters or premium members, Nexus literally took a good mod manager and turned it into something just about as useful as big screen mode on steam.

To begin with, please don't necro old threads.

With that said, which NMM version did you try? The one on Nexus is 0.70.5, while the one on GitHub is 0.70.8

Furthermore, Nexus didn't take a mod manager and turn it into anything. Vortex is literally a new application that was developed by Tannin, the creator of Mod Organizer (MO).

The reason why NexusMods is getting people to download Vortex over NMM is because while NMM is good in that it's extremely basic, it promotes really bad modding practices.

If it messes anything up, it forces you to re-install chunks of your mods, if not all of your mods, forcing the idea of "install order" onto the user. With Vortex and MO on the other hand, it changes how it handles how the files gets loaded in that you tell the program what mod has priority, and as such, encourages the idea of "load order". Which means that if something messes up, you just need to re-install that one mod. If you want to change the order of what mods gets shown in game, you change the priority of the mods. With NMM? You have to uninstall all of mods that may, or does touch the files that you want shown, and re-install in the exact order you want. Mess it up, and you have to uninstall them and do it again.

As for those who defend Vortex, that's really not true. There are many people that are not supporters or premium members that defend Vortex (me, for example). That's because the way I use MO follows the same method of modding that Vortex uses. It's because I'm fine with taking a few seconds extra to perform the things that can be done in MO to do it in Vortex. It's because I got tired of having to spend so much time uninstalling and re-installing mods in NMM, when it's a thousand times quicker to simply change the priority order.

Guest deleted34304850

i think you'll find that you can't logon since the old API was deactivated, which is nothing whatsoever to do with vortex. There's a post on this on nexusmods main site. you'd know this if you bothered your arse to read about it. you'd also know that NMM has been updated to support the new API, again, if you bothered your arse to read.

But you didn't.

Instead, you came here, necro'd an old thread, made a bit of a show of yourself and posted a whole load of complete cobblers.

Well done you. Absolutely nailed it.

Just use Mod organizer 2, trust me it's better for you sanity

MO2 is by far the best modding tool you will ever need and it's really easy to use once you learn how to handle it and never look back to that garbage of NMM period.

Vortex is equally bad, yes it gets the job done but the UI really kills me and the file managment is even worse than NMM.

I rather have my data folders clean and pristine looking thank you very much.