⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Oblivion won't stop crashing!

d34th1457

When I launch Oblivion, a small, black box appears in the top left corner of my screen and after about 2 seconds I get a notification saying:

Oblivion has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

-> Check online for a solution and close the program

-> Close the program

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Oblivion.exe

Application Version: 1.2.0.416

Application Timestamp: 462392c7

Fault Module Name: Oblivion.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.2.0.416

Fault Module Timestamp: 462392c7

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00098749

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 27c8

Additional Information 2: 27c8ce5af7a07bedf550bd9c573901b3

Additional Information 3: e56e

Additional Information 4: e56e9cfaf3cd1084b6b4c016d12ce64c

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit

CPU- Intel® Core2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz

Chipset: Intel® 946GZ Express Chipset Family

According to Can You Run It? at SystemRequirmentsLab.com, my chipset is not good enough to meet the minimum requirements, but the guy in this topic says that he's using an Intel 946GZ (like me) and he's using the Oldblivion mod (so am I) yet, he's managed to actually get to playing the game unlike me; so clearly there must be a solution to my problem.

I have tried the following:

Reinstallation

Not using any mods/DLC

Using patch mods and crash prevention mods

Running in compatability mode

Turning off Desktop Composition

Using AC3Filter

Running as Administrator

If anyone has a clue as to how to fix this problem, please tell me.

Programs running in the background can sometimes cause crashes on startup, try making sure Oblivion is the ONLY program running, and see if that helps. Other than that, I dunno, it's usually mods that cause crashes on startup. Edited by Raye

Often sound problems can cause grief. Check in 'Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion' for the file Oblivion.ini (if the .ini part doesn't show you may need to turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types' in 'Tools' 'Folder Options' 'View' in Windows Explorer). You may or may not find an Oblivion.ini as it generates one specific for your hardware when the game is first run (so if you're unlucky the game may be crashing before generating your Oblivion.ini).

If you can find Oblivion.ini open it in Notepad and use 'Find' off the 'View' menu to search for 'bMusicEnabled' (without the quote marks). By default it will be 'bMusicEnabled=1' ... change it to 'bMusicEnabled=0' (change the one to a zero). Do the same with 'bSoundEnabled=1' (change the one to a zero).

What this will do is start the game without sound for troubleshooting purposes. If the game now starts then try enabling first the sound (change 'bSoundEnabled=0' back to 'bSoundEnabled=1') and see if the game runs and then the music.

If you can get it to run with sound enabled but not the music you may have a 'codec pak' installed that doesn't agree with the game. They can often be added without your knowledge when you install software (the obvious ones are music players etc.). You can also check in your sound system's properties page for any effects (Concert Hall, Auditorium etc.) and turn off all effects.

If you keep uninstalling and reinstalling, then that will be problematic and cause failed startups.

Best to uninstall and run a registry cleaner afterwards, the restart pc. I have found ccleaner to be totally competent in that respect.

I notice you have windows seven like me. I used to get a lot of startup problems until I reinstalled it outside programe files 86.

Runs like a roller now. Also try game booster, helped me a lot, even the free version. Striker is right about the codecs, ffdshow is a pain and needs to be disabled!

good luck

• 2 weeks later...