Fallout New Vegas Memory/Texture Issues

RobinHood2005

Hey everybody, this thread links in with another issue that I had concerning micro-stutter/freezing/lag sometimes when I tried to open a Pip-Boy or turn around.

Link is here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7161811-irritating-stutters-and-frame-hiccups-in-fallout-new-vegas/

Because of the stutter, I had the bright idea to change the directories in which NMM stores all mod info - as well as the mods themselves- to the same drive as the game. Since then, I have reinstalled the game and all of my mods multiple times, but I cannot seem to get rid of an issue that has been plaguing me since: the textures on various items go black and the game stutters whenever I try to enter a new location.

I have the same mods and the same gaming setup mentioned in the thread above. The game had no such issue before, but does so now. I don't know what to do.

P.S. I do have the 4GB Patcher enabled.

P.P.S. I tried following the steps mentioned in this guide:

However, I kept getting text boxes saying "Out of Memory!" and other such issues, which I responded to by undoing everything that I saw in the video, then nuking the game's install directory and eventually reinstalling it.

UPDATED: Actually, the issues came back. Can someone help? :sad:

EDIT: It turns out I may have been wrong about my earlier Ojo Bueno claim. I narrowed the problematic mods down to Sandy Mojave Desert/Wasteland Flora Overhaul. Again, they worked before.

Edited by RobinHood2005

Do you have textures turning black at some specific distance, or if you look at them at an angle? Do they pop in and out as you move/turn your head?

No, I've found that the issue that I have experienced is not affected by viewing distance or angle. It was just random and would stay that way until I reloaded an older save or backed out the game.

Anyway, since i uninstalled Mojave Sandy Desert - a mod that worked previously but doesn't work now- I have not had this issue, but rather a combination of CTDs, memory errors, or permanent freezing., which are dispersed but still exist.

Honestly, at this point, all of this is just saddening, seeing as I have sunk hours into this game trying to make it look better, only to have this happen to me. It makes playing this game a chore.

I thought there was a 'fix' for the black textures at one point? Seems to me, that was some variety of engine bug? Been a while, so, I may be remembering wrong.....

Edit: Ok, after doing some checking around, seems it was a driver issue with Nvidia cards? One guy fixed it by rolling back his driver. Of course, that was two years ago.... so, I suspect you might have to roll back quite a ways.... and that would likely cause other fun issues.

Edited by HeyYou