Is steam oblivion version working with obse ?

seweryn

I heard people are having trouble to get obse to work if you have steam version.

I want to buy it via steam to avoid the patching nightmare since i have the dvd version.

Thanks for the info,

cheers,

Well, not a Steam user myself, but fact is, it does work. The Steam devs themselves in cooperation with the OBSE devs made sure of it back then.

It's just this Steam integration has been broken time and again by newer Steam updates, and the setup had to be changed for it to work again.

Don't get me wrong, for every version of Steam and distribution of the game there is a way to make OBSE work with it. There's just some difference now and again in the details of the setup depending on the version and distribution of the game.

However, what "patching nightmare" are you talking of here? This isn't Skyrim or Fallout 4. There is only 1 single patch ever needed for this game, and there hasn't been any further one for ages.

You just need to get the correct 1.2.0416 patch for the language version of your game and a different one according to whether you're also using the Shivering Isles expansion or not. But it's still just 1 patch.

I heard people are having trouble to get obse to work if you have steam version.

I want to buy it via steam to avoid the patching nightmare since i have the dvd version.

Thanks for the info,

cheers,

Buy it from GOG instead, less hassle, the Deluxe Edition with all DLC

https://www.gog.com/game/elder_scrolls_iv_oblivion_game_of_the_year_edition_deluxe_the

Thanks for the info,

cheers,

Buy it from GOG instead, less hassle, the Deluxe Edition with all DLC

https://www.gog.com/game/elder_scrolls_iv_oblivion_game_of_the_year_edition_deluxe_the

I would have but it cost around 20 euro. I can buy the steam version for 4 euro.

Maybe there will be some discount for oblivion due christmass on gog.

I am not paying for old game like that, that much.

In case of the GOG version just make sure to replace the OBSE Loader with the latest GOG-integrated loader from their site: http://obse.silverlock.org

The default one will not work with the GOG version of the game.

Thanks.

Well, not a Steam user myself, but fact is, it does work. The Steam devs themselves in cooperation with the OBSE devs made sure of it back then.

It's just this Steam integration has been broken time and again by newer Steam updates, and the setup had to be changed for it to work again.

Don't get me wrong, for every version of Steam and distribution of the game there is a way to make OBSE work with it. There's just some difference now and again in the details of the setup depending on the version and distribution of the game.

However, what "patching nightmare" are you talking of here? This isn't Skyrim or Fallout 4. There is only 1 single patch ever needed for this game, and there hasn't been any further one for ages.

You just need to get the correct 1.2.0416 patch for the language version of your game and a different one according to whether you're also using the Shivering Isles expansion or not. But it's still just 1 patch.

Thanks for the info again.

Edited by seweryn

• 5 months later...

In case of the GOG version just make sure to replace the OBSE Loader with the latest GOG-integrated loader from their site: http://obse.silverlock.org

The default one will not work with the GOG version of the game.

Arise O dead thread.

Is there any significant difference between the GOG download and running the game on Steam? I have the game on Steam, but haven't been entirely happy with it. My present computer doesn't have a DVD drive which is the only reason I'm trying out digital download versions of Oblivion.

The GOG version does have fewer "support" requests than the Steam version by a huge margin (but it is more recent).

GOG Oblivion seems to be a lot less flakey than the Steam version which is certainly a good thing. I tried a couple of OBSE GOG versions, one was out of date and wouldn't run the mods I had installed and the other more recent version was fine so long as I used it to launch the game. If I tried to run it from the GOG Galaxy launcher it wouldn't recognise the OBSE_loader exe file.

At least it is working Ok even if it is a slight hack and that's something I guess.