[Vortex Extension] Modlist Backup

Garethp

• 3 months later...

The output from this is a bit of a mess.

It lists the same mods multiple times, e.g.:

{
        "name": "A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads",
        "game": "skyrim",
        "modId": 4929,
        "fileId": 1000230583
    },
    {
        "fileId": 1000230663
    },
    {
        "game": "skyrim"
    },
    {
        "fileId": 1000230688
    },

Note also the spurious entry that is merely ' "game": "skyrim" ' with no other details. The output is littered with them.

Then there are many entries like this:

{
        "game": "skyrimse",
        "modId": "2315"
    }

With no other details. This mod is actually "skyBirds SSE Edition", it is installed and it is active.

The output is a largely broken and indiscriminate dump of the entire database, doesn't separate games into unique outputs, and is therefore useless for the purposes of both restore and e.g. modwat.ch publishing.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the development of this plugin, but in its current state it's unusable, and were someone to actually try to use it to backup and restore a load order, it'd actually be dangerous (in the data loss sense).

I don't really like messing with database stuff, mostly because I suck at it, but if I have time I'll have a look at it later today.

Unfortunately, this isn't indicating which mods are enabled and which are disabled.

I'll add that as a feature to take a look at

The output from this is a bit of a mess.

It lists the same mods multiple times, e.g.:

{
        "fileId": 1000230583
    },
    {
        "fileId": 1000230663
    },
    {
        "game": "skyrim"
    },
    {
        "fileId": 1000230688
    },

Note also the spurious entry that is merely ' "game": "skyrim" ' with no other details. The output is littered with them.

Then there are many entries like this:

{
        "game": "skyrimse",
        "modId": "2315"
    }

With no other details. This mod is actually "skyBirds SSE Edition", it is installed and it is active.

The output is a largely broken and indiscriminate dump of the entire database, doesn't separate games into unique outputs, and is therefore useless for the purposes of both restore and e.g. modwat.ch publishing.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the development of this plugin, but in its current state it's unusable, and were someone to actually try to use it to backup and restore a load order, it'd actually be dangerous (in the data loss sense).

I don't really like messing with database stuff, mostly because I suck at it, but if I have time I'll have a look at it later today.

That's really good feedback, thanks. I'll do what I can to clean up some of the entries that are backed up. I'm not sure why some mods don't have name and fileId, since I'm fetching those from the vortex state, but I'll have a look into it. In terms of separating the games into unique outputs, I'll put that down as a feature to add.

I took a look at A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads, and it looks like it's not actually listing the same thing 3 times, but rather it's listing each of the mods from A Quality World Map once. One entry for the mod, one for the Clear Map Skies Add-On and one for the New World Map Object Add-On. If you didn't have those installed, let me know because that would be a serious issue

I don't know if there's anything I can do about backing up load order, and it's not something I was trying to accomplish with this, but I'll ask around and see if there's a good way to do that. Is there any other instability that you've come across?

• 4 months later...

now i sound

this feature not implemented on vanilla vortex yet?, jesus, this feature should be on high list that they should implement

We're working a more powerful system which is still in development. This extension serves the purpose until then though.

now i sound like an asshole lol, thanks for the reply tho, i know that such feature exist in NMM and now that nexus reccomended Vortex and doesn't have that feature a bit weird, i do hope it'll more powerfull than NMM with built in load order etc, so people can share the file as "modpack"

now i sound

this feature not implemented on vanilla vortex yet?, jesus, this feature should be on high list that they should implement

We're working a more powerful system which is still in development. This extension serves the purpose until then though.

now i sound like an asshole lol, thanks for the reply tho, i know that such feature exist in NMM and now that nexus reccomended Vortex and doesn't have that feature a bit weird, i do hope it'll more powerfull than NMM with built in load order etc, so people can share the file as "modpack"

There was a version of NMM many years ago that had a testing profile sharing system, but that was one of the points we realised how limited NMM was (and how unreliable it was). Vortex was built from the ground up to be a far better version of NMM :)