Any luck opening UPK files?

acky1

Sorry to revive this old thread but im intrested in creating some custom stuff for this game ,

Anybody ever manage to get models back in to game as an extra & not a re-placer.

Im really disappointed in FIRAXIS because they did mention modding tools, but here we are and still NOTHING:(( Feel like it was just a PR stunt.

Just imagine an being able to add lots of custom maps using the game assets to the randomized map list (kinda sick of seeing the same over and over again

To date, most of the progress we've made is in modifying gameplay mechanics through upk edits. There's been a little progress in looking at UI coding and graphics in ActionScript files. But I'm not aware of anything beyond the limited texture substitutions we've seen so far.

Sorry to revive this old thread but im intrested in creating some custom stuff for this game ,

Anybody ever manage to get models back in to game as an extra & not a re-placer.

Im really disappointed in FIRAXIS because they did mention modding tools, but here we are and still NOTHING:(( Feel like it was just a PR stunt.

Just imagine an being able to add lots of custom maps using the game assets to the randomized map list (kinda sick of seeing the same over and over again

Sorry man, the short answer is that we can't do any model edits unless we get some help from Firaxis.

Me and a few other guys spent a lot of time on this when the game first came out, I even started asking around the main UDK forums where I'm assuming people know a lot more about these types of files than I do. Unless Firaxis gives us an Unreal Development Kit type tool that is compatible with xcom there is no way to put the files back together again into a usable upk. Even if you download the freeware Unreal Development Kit and manage to jam all of the pieces back into a upk it still wont work because Firaxis used a modified version of the UDK to create the files.

There is a project up on google code that talks about eventually being able to mod meshes into the U3 engine after the game is running, the way that texmod does with textures. http://code.google.com/p/texmod/ Meshes have been on a list of possible features to add for a really long time though, so I wouldnt count on it being done soon, if ever.

I completely agree that it was a PR stunt brother. I really enjoyed the game but I feel like they mentioned modding just to get some extra sales. I really wish they just hadn't said anything about it, its a great enough game to have done well without teasing mod support and then disappointing those of us who took them seriously about it.

• 6 years later...

Hello, I know this is too late for talking, but I have unpack.exe and repack.exe
I can tell where find them, if you help me too.

1. Go to https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/60/?tab=files

2. Download 'ME1Controller Localisation Dev Kit'

3. extract folder and you should have inside, UPKPacker.dll, UPKunpack.exe, UPKrepack.exe also use <filename>.batch with 'Start' code to open command prompt located in same folder.

4. Make you sure that your XCOM decompress has 153Kb size.

Okey, I think it was helpful but my personal problem is how 'uncook' these files? First I used decompress and unpacker and they are cooked because data in folders has no supported unreal engine files. If I replace mesh of character, repack see difference when I changed files and can't repack.

Also I know that, there's no back to cook and compress files, but if you want, game read modded upk, just use tool to hack <game>.exe to run cooked and decompressed in game path.

Thanks!

My memory on this is years old, but as I recall you can't "cook" unpacked files, because they require proprietary files the developers haven't released to do so. ("Cooked" just means they are compiled into the executable.) When extracted from the UPK file, they are not "cooked" in any manner, but you already realize that they are "compressed". The good news that you don't need to "cook" them at all. Unpacked, decompressed files override the "cooked" versions when found, without needing to "repack".

If you haven't already, please see the "XCom: Enemy Unknown Mod Creation" wiki. In particular see:

* "Modding Tools - XCOM:EU 2012"

* "UPK File Format - XCOM:EU 2012"

* "Understanding UPK side UI coding - XCOM:EU 2012"

* "Programmers guide to XCOM:EU 2012 modding"

* "Modding XCOM:EU 2012"

* "Hex editing UPK files"

* "How to understand Unreal Typecasting"

In general terms we no longer need to hack the <game>.exe. The "UPKUtils" mod (which includes the more commonly referenced "PatcherGUI" tool) is easier and more flexible way to make changes to UPK files.

-Dubious-