4K TVs for Computer Monitor?

I've got a few friends that have bought 4K TVs https://whatever-tech.com/best-full-motion-tv-wall-mount/ for computer monitors using DAW software and they seem to be happy, but I haven't seen them as they are in a different city. I've been looking at 4K computer monitors in the 30-32 inch sizes and they are $800++ which is a bit out of line for me. Tonight I bought a Samsung 40" 4K TV with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 for $447 at Walmart with free shipping. The Samsung 40" is just about the perfect width with my BM5s on each side for the optimum near-field setup.

I'm running an EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2 Gb w/ G-SYNC video card in my DAW PC which has a max resolution of 4096 x 2160 which should support this TV. If it doesn't work out I can always put it in the bedroom.

Times are changing and just curious if anyone else is doing this besides my friends or thinking about doing it or just opinions.

Thanks a lot

it is a future approach. 4k screens are good and will last for many years before something like 9k come sout.

• 5 months later...

i'm playing on a 55" lg 4k oled tv. the image quality and low latency is fantastic! much better than any pc-monitor i used before. if you do not need 180 hz refresh and 120 hz or 60hz is ok, buy an oled tv and a hdmi 2.1 cable and you will love the result! i did some tests and rescaled from 4k to 3k (3200x1800p) resolution and image quallity while gaming ist still stunning while gaining some extra frames! i play skyrim and fo4 with the 60 hz 3k setting with a brillant result using a 1080ti card. no way back to lcd for me.

If you're going to use an OLED panel then be sure to have a screensaver enabled, they can suffer from burn-in.

Really? I thought that problem with the way of the dodo, along with Cathode Ray Tube monitors...... :)

Learn somethin' new every day. :D

no burn in problem with my lg oled so far using this setup for more than one year. my tv has an algorythm which shifts image slightly (not visible at all) and it dims brightness after a few minutes if nothing moves and has a built in screensaver. there is a slight ghosting sometimes if the image is extreme but barely visible only with bright background without content and only one or two minutes. burn in is sometimes a problem with older first or second generation oled models i think.

Regardless of advertised resolution... TV's are not built to be viewed as close as monitors are. They are not simply monitors with a tuner.

Don't believe me and want to argue?

Fine... go to your bargain warehouse (Sam's / Costco). Walk up to that huge 70+ inch TV they usually have out there for display. Stand within 4 feet and you will notice the giant pixel size. Sure this is an extreme example but it demonstrates my point. TV's are meant to be viewed from across the room.

<drops mic>

it is really simple to buy the right tv for your needs. newest tv are meant to be used for what you use them and they can replace an average monitor with even better results.

if you want to see 4k resolution across a big room you need 85" or more, if you want it on your desk use 55" or smaller 4k tv. at least newest lg oled will provide incredible image qualitiy. only some special cases like online ego shooters may need even more than 120 hz refresh rate (do they really?) or special settings at the cost of good image quality.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kCyGMdhdhIc/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

I used a 4K curved 55" Samsung for a few days but ended up going back to my 32" monitor, gaming was great and the curved screen really added to it, everyday use wasn't so great, I didn't realise how many sites have white backgrounds and my eyes suffered for those few days, I could have kept adjusting the brightness but that's an annoyance I can do without.

The picture quality wasn't as good either, 55" @4K is only 80 PPI, that's roughly the same as 28" @1080p and lower than what I get from the 32" @1440p which at 91 PPI is a bit on the low side itself.

if im getting too close to my mobile phone display (10cm) with 400 ppi i can also see the superfine gridsquares. the ppi is only relevant if you like to sit very close in relation to the display size. if i use my 55" oled LG in a distance of 1,5m or more i'm not able to see the grid. if you like to sit very close I would not recommend the oled tv solution.

a tv lcd panel has the same disadvantages as a lcd monitor panel. if you switch chose a newer oled tv.