We're hiring: .NET/C# Developer

Dark0ne

I'd suggest looking into Lua. It's C-based and designed to work in multiple OSes, and given that it's the code that's used in many other games (including Legend of Grimrock), you would have a better chance of getting someone who can write for all three.

I'm assuming it's not even worth applying if I only have one year of experience in that field.

Boy, it sure is easy to find a job when EVERYONE wants previous experience in the field. How the bloody hell you're supposed to get that experience to begin with, nobody knows.

At this point, something like that only tells me that the person who made the decision did not do their research, or does not want to take risk. Programming is still quite new and small, and expecting years' worth of experience from those who are interested can mean next to nothing as application development is very much so a risky venture regardless of the experience and skills you have at your disposal.

If I must make a suggestion... Please change your "3 year's worth of experience" to "provide a project portfolio", and I think you'll be more surprised at what the applicants can do instead of how long they've done it.

Edited by ziitch

Excluding the gaping hole in every argument for language, a post about job applications is clearly not the place to bicker about which programming language the job should use?

Also, @Gix

I would submit an application anyways just have some good samples, never know who you might impress

@Gix The way you get field experience without having been hired into a position that uses that experience is not super hard, but it sucks. If you are in college might I suggest looking into co-op. If you aren't a student then maybe try to go to a smaller company in the field and ask if they have any internship opportunities. Sure you will probably not get paid at all but you will get professional experience in the field. The employment game has changed in the last few years with this idea that a degree is simply not good enough even when it comes to entry level jobs, seems every company now needs at least 2 years exp w/ degree :\ Edited by akkalat85

At this point, something like that only tells me that the person who made the decision did not do their research, or does not want to take risk. Programming is still quite new and small, and expecting years' worth of experience from those who are interested can mean next to nothing as application development is very much so a risky venture regardless of the experience and skills you have at your disposal.

If I must make a suggestion... Please change your 3 year's worth of experience to provide a project portfolio, and I think you'll be more surprised at what the applicants can do instead of how long they've done it.

It's simple: If s/he's only been programming for a year, s/he won't have a very impressive folio. It'll either have very few projects in it, or else it'll have many projects that were very simple and easy to do.

Anyway, what on Earth are you talking about when you say programming is still quite new and small?! My father was programming computers in the 1970s. When I was deciding what to do at uni in the 1990s, every second guy I knew was getting an IT degree because that's where the money was - it was the dotcom bubble. If anything, the pool of programmers is *waning*, due to the global financial crisis (which means more unemployed programmers who have experience and are looking for work.....which means it's even harder for newbies to get jobs)

I work in a large ICT department with a lot of programmers. They've all been doing it for at least a few years, and almost all are in their 30s or 40s. C# and .NET have both been around for a long time.

I'm assuming it's not even worth applying if I only have one year of experience in that field.

Boy, it sure is easy to find a job when EVERYONE wants previous experience in the field. How the bloody hell you're supposed to get that experience to begin with, nobody knows.

It's how it is in most industries. I'm a designer, and I went through the same thing.

In a field that requires a large foundation of knowledge like programming, it's unrealistic for you to be expect to be hired by something like NMM if you've only been doing it a year. The OP says that there's currently only one programmer, and that one of his/her main roles is bug-fixing, which is a frustrating and nebulous enterprise that requires previous experience to do well.

If it were a large team, perhaps you could slot in at the bottom. Or if it was a tiny startup where everyone's new and starting out. But for you to jump in and share 50% of the load on the flagship product of such a large site is unrealistic.

Just hang in there and keep programming in your own time, and freelance a little for friends and acquaintances if you can. Once you have a solid folio with 3 years' worth of stuff in it, there's your experience.

In terms of its value as a folio piece, it doesn't matter whether someone paid you to do it or not. One of my best pieces of [web design] work is something I did as a school project in 2006, and later as a personal hobby project. I still show it in job interviews today.

Another suggestion I STRONGLY recommend: do volunteer work. An internship will pay you nothing while putting you right on the bottom of a big team (you will have to kiss their arses and thank them for the opportunity). A volunteer project will pay you nothing but give you much more responsibility (they will kiss your arse and thank you for your generosity). I did web design for a Human Rights film festival for a couple of years. I had free creative and technical reign, and was able to design some damn good websites that seriously bolstered my folio and demonstrated I could work effectively in a team.

It'll also make you feel good about making the world a better place, since it'll be for a good cause.

Edited by volnaiskra

As with every professional position:

- Read the requirements.

- Decide if you do/can meet them.

- Tailor your résumé/cv accordingly.

- Hope for the best.

- If accepted, commit to doing the job.

If you can't do that... don't waste others' time. :armscrossed:

The General Manager of my Hotel actually has many years of programming and has developed programs that run other businesses as well as other things. If you wouldn't mind a bit of info as to what sort of pay / hours of work are needed ( I"m not a programmer of any sorts but i know he'd love this) either in comment or inbox I would more than appreciate it... Either way, it's pretty awesome to offer someone a place of employment on a site like this (an awesome one to say the least)... Thanks

@Gix. I can't tell you how many internships while I'm currently in college I've had to turn down. There are a lot of people looking for technology jobs, whether it be a codemonkey position or just an IT job. Your college will help you out with finding a job. Don't say its impossible to find a job, when 80% of new recruits come from interns at colleges.

Also. If you really want "experience" create your own files and programs using these languages. The IDE's are able to be downloaded. If you don't have experience "in the field" with it, you can submit programs saying "yeah, I built this from scratch".

To be honest, if you have a degree from a college (and not a tech school) you should have some pretty good examples of programs, they may not be .NET but at least some C language examples. I'm leading an internship right now, and I have a freshman in the internship. He knows how to do things way more advanced than his current course level, whether it be standard css styling or javascript/sql injection. You can learn and create stuff on your own.

TL;DR stop complaining about needing experience when you can research and learn the language spending many hours a day and come out knowing more than some one with 3+ years of experience.

ALSO: if you look at the actual job page, it says University Graduates are welcome to apply.

PS: Before anyone posts "In my country it isn't this way". At least give me your countries name

Edited by Margle