Full Controller Support and Xbox 360 UI Mod for Oblivion PC

Gamelander

Here is my solution: XBOX Controller Support

Bear in mind, the current released version is going to be updated soon with a version that adds a couple of features and has lots of performance tweaks. I'm getting ready to start work on the version after that that will (if all goes as seems likely) will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the need to drag the mouse pointer around with the right stick to click buttons and so forth (I'm looking at YOU, Persuasion Wheel).

There has been a LOT of testing and development into this. My main guinea pig is my sister, who has only ever played Oblivion on the XBOX because she flatly refuses to use a k/b+m to play. SHE enjoys playing Oblivion with this, and doesn't have to stop and think what button does what.

Stay tuned for more updates!

EDIT: Version 1.5 is out!

Edited by digitaltrucker

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a LOT of testing and development into this. My main guinea pig is my sister, who has only ever played Oblivion on the XBOX because she flatly refuses to use a k/b+m to play. SHE enjoys playing Oblivion with this, and doesn't have to stop and think what button does what.

EDIT: Version 1.5 is out!

Interesting. Thanks for sharing, digitaltruck.

Have you figured out how to change the UI-interface to match that of an Xbox360-Controller?

I stumbled upon this Xbox360 controller interface for Elder Scrolls Online (called Stratejacket Controller Support) - which also seems to have decided that the best path forward is to use a combination of an esp (ESO "add-on") in conjunction with PinnacleGameProfiler.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to butt-in on this topic since I really want to play Oblivion with a game pad. I'm curious though.... Fallout 3 is based on the Oblivion engine and supports XInput. Would it be possible to say, import the Oblivion data files over the Fallout 3 engine (keeping FO3's exe's and dll's in place)?

Say I have both Fallout 3 and Oblivion (I do: see my Steam profile), and I were to delete all FO3's data files and replace them with Oblivion's, would this possibly work? It may require some more tweaking than just copy/delete/pasting files, but would it seem likely?

I need some input on this.

• 1 month later...

i tryeid the ini note pad file change. it worled well for the movement but messed up the look. not to mention the buttons were a joke. tried pinnacle profiler. just put the wasd keys onto the stick. total crap. took me twenty min just to figure out how to drop something. all of the commands are avialable in profiler to map out the controller just like the 360. leaving the horrable mapping of the wasd keys though. but i think it conflicts with ini file data because certian buttons were donig 2 to 3 things. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. what im sayin is i could live with the wasd junk. if only i could figure out how to get the damne profiler to work right. i think we need to convince bethesda that they could make a ton of cash if they released a working patch for this and the whole multi core proscesser crashes fallout 3 thing. money. i would buy a full priced new copy of both if only they wolud work.

• 7 months later...

SOLVED

Finally! Took me all day to get this thing working right, but after 15 hours, I finally got it working decently. There's only one drawback...your running is no longer analogue sensitive. It's really not so bad though. There are times when I only want to run, and times when I only want to walk, but rarely a time that I need to switch back and forth, so it isn't hurting me any. Every site I saw about this had one thing in common...they were all using JoytoKey. They were also using another program, but it seemed to be a different one in each vid. Turns out, you only need JoytoKey! Why the heck everyone kept using 2 different programs is well beyond me, but here is the setup I ended up with. The only one that let's me function with a controller comfortably. The buttons are all pretty much what you think they'd be. Attack = right-trigger, pause = start button, sneak = L3 (left analogue button), and so on.

So, without further ado... here's the result of 15 hours of research made pitifully and embarrassingly easy:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_images/underground/attachicon.gifController.JoytoKey_Obl.jpg

JoytoKey

To download, click the [Direct Download Link] just below the big green stupid [Download Now] crap that only wants to sucker you into downloading a useless installer. What kind of world do we live in when the big "DOWNLOAD HERE" link is the thing you don't want to click!?

Just remember to go to your oblivion.ini in either Documents\My Games\Oblivion, or if you use Mod Organizer (and you SHOULD), go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion\profiles\[your profile name]. You'll see the oblivion.ini in there that you want to use to make all ini adjustments when using MO. In there, you want to change, in the 'controls' section, bUseJoystick=1 to =0.

Also remember, if you leave your JoytoKey running when you aren't playing, your controller will still function the same way! You can move your cursor around with it, and do everything it's programmed to do. So 'A' will be your 'space bar', 'Y' is 'E', 'Start' is 'escape', and so on.

how does one assign the mouse? i'm not seeing that option. all i see is L click, M click and R click. nothing that says mouse under button assignment.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh, it's been so long, yet Bethesda continues their conquest of forging their name through console plebeians and denies the support for their long term PC supporters who gave them the helping hand of making their brand big.

I can't see it being difficult. Some 3rd party developer called "Aspyre" added a huge update to SW:KOTOR II, and they aren't even the original developers, as they were contracted by Disney, I'm assuming, to do the work. So if that's possible, I know, for a straight fact, that Bethesda can do the same with Oblivion. They merely don't want to. They are a classical work of a jesting greedy O' Leary.

Bethesda employees, if you even care to check up on our woes, bring this up with Todd Coward... or Howard. Or Harward. Whatever his name is. He's a nerd and he knows he can fix this stuff.

Signed,

Your LONG TERM, NON PLEIBEIAN FANS.

• 5 months later...

Ahh, it's been so long, yet Bethesda continues their conquest of forging their name through console plebeians and denies the support for their long term PC supporters who gave them the helping hand of making their brand big.

I can't see it being difficult. Some 3rd party developer called "Aspyre" added a huge update to SW:KOTOR II, and they aren't even the original developers, as they were contracted by Disney, I'm assuming, to do the work. So if that's possible, I know, for a straight fact, that Bethesda can do the same with Oblivion. They merely don't want to. They are a classical work of a jesting greedy O' Leary.

Bethesda employees, if you even care to check up on our woes, bring this up with Todd Coward... or Howard. Or Harward. Whatever his name is. He's a nerd and he knows he can fix this stuff.

Signed,

Your LONG TERM, NON PLEIBEIAN FANS.

This... This made me laugh.

Not knowing Oblivion was slanted heavily towards key board and mouse style play, I bought Oblivion on PC during a new years sale on Steam for a little over eight dollars after playing Skyrim for.. a long time, thinking you know, it must be an interesting game because I've always heard good things. FORTUNATELY I only paid eight dollars for a game that I basically can't play and not full price..

I too feel the irritation.

To those who go "just buy an emulator and use MY set up", you sound like the salesman in Fallout 4 at the beginning of the game, and I'm not interested. I don't WANT to buy a third party software to play a game that SHOULD already have full controller support, that seems wrong to me, so I won't do it. Besides, it's not like the third party option is 100% effective anyway, I always hear about movement or button issues, so that's another reason not to spend my money on something else that basically doesn't work.

Edited by Mythos214

• 4 months later...

I really need this mod. I suffered from a stroke a little while back, which has kept me from being able to use a keyboard and mouse, due to very limited control, and a limited range of motion in my right hand. I've seen folks make amazing UI controller mods for other games, but this one is my favorite of them all. Please...for my sake, I'm humbly asking for the modding community to try to make something like this.

• 8 months later...

I have a very nice configuration for Oblivion with joytokey. This site is not allowing my to upload the config file or a screenshot of my profile. What is the legitimate way to submit such a thing? I have most of the buttons the same as the 360 version. The biggest difference is the right stick has to move the mouse pointer (for aiming etc.) so the menu selections have to be clicked on with either left click (or right trigger as I have it).