Fallout Modelling - Mini Tutorial

jaysus

-the item kfs which determine the items movement (for example the clip dropping out)

bound to item

Actually this is incorrect -> just like in Oblivion the player animations control everything (with very few exceptions) and this is easily proved -> just open any weapon and completely delete all of the NiTransformControllers and all of thier data (since this is the only anim data contained within the weapon.nif's) this by your statement would make the weapon specific animation cease to function -> they will all of course continue to work perfectly and even your game will run better because the weapon.nif will be lighter without all of that worthless data -> Bethesda has a habit of bloating thier files with worthless data 95% of all of the extra data blocks within every .nif can be safely deleted as well as every bit of the anim data contained on the weapons themselves -> I deleted all of this for my Oblivion install some time ago and my instal directory shrunk by 30 odd megs not alot but it is something, and it seems this time around is seems the files are bloated nearly 2 times worse then the oblivion ones were.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well youre right that beth often leaves trace of unclean developement... (lol i found quite some meshes as *.obj which are obviously without use)

but regarding the above youre not 100% right

the skeleton animations control alot but not the weapon animations itself... for example a pistol slide is not moved by your hand but by the trigger being pulled and thus is independant of the skeleton...

try removing the slide nitransformer from the 10mm for example... it wont move a bit anymore

youre right tho in regards to melee weapons of course (xcept for the ripper)

well youre right that beth often leaves trace of unclean developement... (lol i found quite some meshes as *.obj which are obviously without use)

but regarding the above youre not 100% right

the skeleton animations control alot but not the weapon animations itself... for example a pistol slide is not moved by your hand but by the trigger being pulled and thus is independant of the skeleton...

try removing the slide nitransformer from the 10mm for example... it wont move a bit anymore

youre right tho in regards to melee weapons of course (xcept for the ripper)

No I am right because I have already cleaned out all of the wasted data within my install and my 10mm still works perfectly this can also be proven just take a look at the animations them selves the 10MM is run on the 1hpattackright, 1hpjama and 1hpreloada animations if you remove that data it will make zero difference in-game.

The one exception being the Ripper of course because its running a looping animation on the teeth but even those can have thier data deleted if I wanted to make an animation to control those nodes.

Did I mention that I have created well over 3-4 thousand animations alone for Oblivion and FO3's animation engine is nearly identical -> the only weapon animation that will play are ones set to be looping and that is it -> this was identical in Oblivion.

Once an object is equiped onto the player or any actor it becomes part of thier scene and not targetable by any animations unless those animations target the actor holding that weapon, and besides there are not even any Controller Sequences inside of the weapons for the game to make a playcall to play them...

I've been working on trying to add some hair models to replace the ones in game that I don't like very much. I've managed to copy in the NiTriShapeData blocks and get everything how I want it to look in the nif file. I've even saved the files and opened them again with no errors. However when I start up fallout 3 and try to load the new hair files in the game, the game crashes instead of displaying it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I've followed all the guides I've seen to the best of my ability. I'd really like to be able to import some models and lend my texturing skills to this game. But these nif files are really difficult. Any advice or help?

so far we have had wonderful success using this process for static meshes and weapons. unfortunately i myself have not tried stuff like hair and character meshes, and i think others who have tried have not had very much success either.

i think the closest thing ive seen is some armor edits, but i could not even begin to translate their process for you.

wish i could be more help

-just tried that hair thingy...

-i guess it has to do with the normals, binormals and tangents... (see the info addon in the maintpost)

-game crashes when it loads the beard

-cant save if i change the tflag to 16 and the has vertex colours to yes telling me i have an array size mismatch...

-update tangent space removes the tflag error but keeps the vertex colour array mismatch

-tried ingame with vertex colours set to "no"

-doesnt crash but hangs in the hair selection menu, closeallmenus crashes the game

-using the update button on the vertex colour array removes the error

-now it crashes again upon loading the beard

-changing the name of the nitrishape to fit the parent node now

-works

updating main post now