⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Fallout Modelling - Mini Tutorial

jaysus

Wow the process to get a new gun in this game is totally wrong. No support for custom animations either?

Ugh, I had alot of plans, but i'm not about to spend 4 times longer hacking away at nif files making a model fit a rig. Come get me when they release tools for 3ds max. Till then i've got no buisness with the editor.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty new to this *Last bit of serious modeling/nurbs* work I did was back in the Unreal 1 days with a few mods. I've been trying to import the models for the Werewolves mod from Oblivion into Fallout with really limited sucess.

I've been following the "convert hair" tutorial trying to use it as a base for a Helmet. Everything works fine, texture is ported over and imports into the editor without any errors except the model is garbled. Looks fine in NifSkope, but i've dug through this thread and the forums looking for any clues and found nothing.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3843/helppe6.th.jpg

I'm out of ideas, help please?

I didn't want to make a new topic for this question, but I was wondering if there is any solid and conclusive information on the maximum poly count for individual meshes?

I've tried searching for it in the mod sections of the Nexus as well as searching on Google on the matter, but haven't been able to find anything conclusive - if anyone knows, could we have it added to the first post so that we have important modelling info like that in one place? :)

Anyway, sorry for butting in about this. :P

the max poly count per mesh is prolly the same as per scene... and honestly i dont remember anyone ever getting close to it or just mentioning it... easily because any pc i know of would crash if you tried...

try to stick with vanilla counts and double em max is what most people do unintentionally...

i cant say exactly what is too few and looks bad, is ok and what would be too many... you have to try... but trying to go by vanilla numbers and reducing polies as good as possible usually does the trick...

hope that helps a bit... its basicly dependant on your mashine power and what you ask of your mod users... (oblivion items had 4 times the vanilla polies usually in the past few month - prolly due to grown mashine power over the past years)

maybe you could tell us what you want to build and we can give you better guidlines... (keep in mind that items only u use can have more polies than items every bloody npc has)

the max poly count per mesh is prolly the same as per scene... and honestly i dont remember anyone ever getting close to it or just mentioning it... easily because any pc i know of would crash if you tried...

try to stick with vanilla counts and double em max is what most people do unintentionally...

i cant say exactly what is too few and looks bad, is ok and what would be too many... you have to try... but trying to go by vanilla numbers and reducing polies as good as possible usually does the trick...

hope that helps a bit... its basicly dependant on your mashine power and what you ask of your mod users... (oblivion items had 4 times the vanilla polies usually in the past few month - prolly due to grown mashine power over the past years)

maybe you could tell us what you want to build and we can give you better guidlines... (keep in mind that items only u use can have more polies than items every bloody npc has)

Ah I see. Well I'm currently working on some armour objects that require a somewhat high degree of poly's due to things sticking out, tubes, smoothed surfaces etc. but I figure that as along as I don't go above the poly count of a Power Armour it shouldn't be a problem running it for most users. I was just thinking that in case I wanted to make something crazy like a 1:1 scale submarine, or the head of the Statue of Liberty it'd be nice to know just how many polys would be available for any single item in the game. :D

the 1:1 scale sub will be hard if youdont use every trick the devs know like alpha planes and smoothing (not mesh smoothing but just the normal smoothing)

anyway im making a sub yet... make a b52... thats what i would do instead of a sub... anyway if you dont do it ill prolly do so :P

the 1:1 scale sub will be hard if youdont use every trick the devs know like alpha planes and smoothing (not mesh smoothing but just the normal smoothing)

anyway im making a sub yet... make a b52... thats what i would do instead of a sub... anyway if you dont do it ill prolly do so :P

Actually I was thinking of doing a Typhoon submarine to scale compared to the Rivet City Carrier. The planar surfaces for it it are so huge that you don't really need Meshsmooth to get the right rounded shape on it it. :D

i dont wanna spam the thread but now i have to brag a bit here ;)

my sub :)

seems someone had the idea before you :P and that someone is me lalala

its from this mod:

COM

but it still misses lots of detail and prolly is not really realistic... afterall its some ww2 crap ship from the states that needed modifications... and now looking at it i cant imagine anyone willingly entering this sardinecan...

and not quite as big as the typhoon...

i dont wanna spam the thread but now i have to brag a bit here ;)

my sub :)

seems someone had the idea before you :P and that someone is me lalala

its from this mod:

COM

but it still misses lots of detail and prolly is not really realistic... afterall its some ww2 crap ship from the states that needed modifications... and now looking at it i cant imagine anyone willingly entering this sardinecan...

and not quite as big as the typhoon...

looks good , but the edges, u could prob cut yourself :) yes a bit basic on the mesh, but its a nice start

question, how do i add more blocks to my nifskop mesh

example, i got 2 item with 2 textures on my mesh, how do i transfer it to the vanila one, also where do u change the name in nifskop, before exporting it as a nf for fo3

saying i don`t have a diffuse map, i`m doing it in 3dmax, exporting it for oblivion then copy, past over the block in nifskop ?? thx