I'm having migration issues

NuclearDisco
Go to solution Solved by NuclearDisco,

I moved my saturated vortex folder from my appdata roaming folder to my general disk as it was too low in space, however, I'm having issue configuring the mod staging directory and downloads directory.

Probably because:

A) I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm retarded

B) I most likely did f*#@ up my vortex data, rendering it useless

C) I'm doing things correctly, it just doesn't work

It give me errors like "Invalid paths" and "This directory needs to be empty", I just want to load my FO4 mods in a different location from my local disk

The staging directory I'm trying to configure: G:\Vortex Roaming\Vortex\{GAME}

The downloads directory I'm trying to configure: G:\Vortex Roaming\Vortex\downloads

So, did you use VORTEX to make and move a new Mod Staging Folder, and Mod Download Folder, or, did you use Windows Explorer, and move the folders OUTSIDE of Vortex, so Vortex has no clue that you moved them, and now Vortex is complaining that the Mod Staging Folder and/or Download folder has to be empty?

Was I not supposed to do the second option?

Yeah, I moved them manually by file explorer

So, did you use VORTEX to make and move a new Mod Staging Folder, and Mod Download Folder, or, did you use Windows Explorer, and move the folders OUTSIDE of Vortex, so Vortex has no clue that you moved them, and now Vortex is complaining that the Mod Staging Folder and/or Download folder has to be empty?

You weren't supposed to do the FIRST option either.

You go to SETTINGS in Vortex, and you set the new location of the Downloads Folder on the SETTINGS---->DOWNLOADS tab, you set the Location of the Mod Staging folder on the SETTINGS----->MODS tab.

You can't just move folders around without the program knowing you're moving them.

Just like you can't move any folders inside an installed Game's folder to anywhere you feel like on your Hard drive, and then expect the game to find half of its contents where it didn't install it in the first place, automatically, you also cannot just move folders around OUTSIDE of a program and expect the program to somehow know you've moved the folders it uses.

That's why there are SETTINGS menus, where you can move a programs folders, by using the program that installed those folders so it knows where they are.

By moving the Mod Staging folder outside of Vortex, without letting Vortex know you moved it, all of the information that Vortex Needs, still points to the old folder, because Vortex doesn't know it was moved.

Here's where you move the download folder using Vortex, instead of File Explorer

Vortex-Download-Folder.jpg

Here's where you move the Mod staging folder using Vortex, instead of File Explorer

Vortex-Staging-Folder.jpg

Yeah, I moved them manually by file explorer

You weren't supposed to do the FIRST option either.

You go to SETTINGS in Vortex, and you set the new location of the Downloads Folder on the SETTINGS---->DOWNLOADS tab, you set the Location of the Mod Staging folder on the SETTINGS----->MODS tab.

You can't just move folders around without the program knowing you're moving them.

Just like you can't move any folders inside an installed Game's folder to anywhere you feel like on your Hard drive, and then expect the game to find half of its contents where it didn't install it in the first place, automatically, you also cannot just move folders around OUTSIDE of a program and expect the program to somehow know you've moved the folders it uses.

That's why there are SETTINGS menus, where you can move a programs folders, by using the program that installed those folders so it knows where they are.

By moving the Mod Staging folder outside of Vortex, without letting Vortex know you moved it, all of the information that Vortex Needs, still points to the old folder, because Vortex doesn't know it was moved.

Here's where you move the download folder using Vortex, instead of File Explorer

Vortex-Download-Folder.jpg

Here's where you move the Mod staging folder using Vortex, instead of File Explorer

Vortex-Staging-Folder.jpg

The directories I showed are the new ones, however they do not work

Now I put my staging at G:\Vortex Roaming\Vortex\Mods\fallout4 and it's calling the directory I already changed

When you start the game, are the mods IN the game?

Not sure why you buried your directory so deep.

G:\Vortex Mods and G:\Vortex Downloads would've sufficed.

They're not even installed to begin with, nor are they enabled for the current save. I had to have another downloads folder because Vortex told me to set it at an empty folder, and I migrated all my downloads to that new folder

Now I put my staging at G:\Vortex Roaming\Vortex\Mods\fallout4 and it's calling the directory I already changed

When you start the game, are the mods IN the game?

Not sure why you buried your directory so deep.

G:\Vortex Mods and G:\Vortex Downloads would've sufficed.

They're not even installed to begin with, nor are they enabled for the current save. I had to have another downloads folder because Vortex told me to set it at an empty folder, and I migrated all my downloads to that new folder

Oh hang on, so you're saying that all you've done so far is DOWNLOADED all the mods, but haven't installed them yet?

If that's the case, then Vortex shouldn't be complaining about the Mod Staging folder needing to be empty