Make the branch or version of the game a necessary field for mod authors

JoTheVeteran

Guest deleted34304850

I think Arthmoor and the team behind UFO4P have this licked already.

You go to that mod page and (here's the challenge for the masses) - read the mod description, you know EXACTLY where you stand. It's writ, clear and up front what the requirements are. Meet them, you're fine. Don't meet them, don't download the mod.

Where this falls down is, while any mod author can put this information out there, the majority of users can't/don't read mod requirements, install it blind, break their game, blame the mod author.

Until the masses start to read stuff that is there for their benefit, then no amount of metadata about a mod, the version of the game or anything else will matter, because at the end of the day, users are as dumb as rocks.

Sure, two authors do what they are supposed to do, the rest of the majority don't because reasons. Where is the solution then? We have those two authors make all the mods in existence?

You realize I'm not advocating towards the people that don't read mod descriptions, right?

I'm advocating for a system that makes sure that critical information is there for you to see. I'm not asking for their birthday, or what they had for dinner.

I'm asking for a system, that makes them not forget to mention critical info.

Why is that such an alien concept to pass on? I don't get it.

Guest deleted34304850

i totally understand your idea, and have, if you look closely, given you an instance where exactly what you suggest exists. that was me trying to support the idea without spoon-feeding you.

i also get you're not advocating for people who can't/don't/won't read mod descriptions, and unfortunately, that's where the problem resides. The vast majority of people fall into that category.

Don't be so defensive my friend, i'm actually with you in your idea. Sadly it will be the lowest common denominator that wins here, and that's the ignorant. You could fill in a ton of fields but if they are all ignored then you may as well not.

Well I don't care what people without a brain will do, as long as it doesn't affect me.

I only care to have all the info lay at my feet. If I choose to ignore them, the fault will be on my head.

As is now, the responsibility falls first in nexus, then the author, then myself.

I am proposing a change that will absolve the first two parties.

Guest deleted34304850

Well I don't care what people without a brain will do, as long as it doesn't affect me.

I only care to have all the info lay at my feet. If I choose to ignore them, the fault will be on my head.

As is now, the responsibility falls first in nexus, then the author, then myself.

I am proposing a change that will absolve the first two parties.

Good luck to you man.

You need to remember that we live in a world where if the video doesn't autoplay it's "oh nose ... what can i do" (and if there isn't a video there's no hope for them ever knowing).

Reading is a thing of the past, best suited to boomers, egg-heads and such.

Guest deleted34304850

Reading is a thing of the past, best suited to boomers, egg-heads and such.

Q.E.D

One concern I would have with this suggestion involves those cases where a mod supports more than one version of a game.

Here are a few different instances to consider:

1) A mod is not affected by game version changes. Should the author continually retest/update the version listing as new versions of the game are released? If so, how would players who choose to stay on a previous version of the game know that the mod would work with their (older) version?

2) A mod requires updates for some new game versions, which would require them to create a whole new mod listing for each game version they intend to support. As it is, I think most authors simply offer different sets of files and advise users to download the one that matches the game version they have installed.

While I can understand that such a feature may be useful in some cases, it could present more problems in other situations.

Or modders could just support the current version of the game, like Arthmoor & Co do for the Unofficial patches, to avoid having to keep dozens of version up because of those people who refuse to update "Because Reasons".

I think we all know what those "reasons" really are and so do the people who actively refuse to update to anything resembling a current version. And I don't just mean with Skyrim or Fallout 4 either :P

Hey, Arthmoor, if you're talking about piracy I personally use it to demo games I am about to play. If the game is good, I buy it. If not, then, screw'em. They don't deserve my money.

But there are legit reasons not to update, and while mentioning them all will take a while, I will just mention the most important one for me. The game changes!

Bug fixes, sure, but also rebalance, skins, AI tactics, a myriad other things could change. When that happens while I'm used to the game, it just pisses me off to have to relearn it.

It can be a reason for me to abandon it, so I always treat updates with caution. And when I do it, I first check all the changes in detail, maybe watch a video, or two on it.

Or I do it when I hit a wall in my progress, and I'm starting to get bored of it.

Member banned for piracy. --TNL