CTD with Unofficial Patches Installed? GOTY Steam version. BOSS/BAIN/OBMM?

Hey, so I am making this thread because I have tried for the last 12 or so hours to troubleshoot this.

I have searched all the forums, did all of the googling, and have done everything that I can find to get this to work.

I recently reinstalled Oblivion via steam (because that's where I had the game) because I had an itch to play it again, but I wanted to play it with mods installed.

I heard about the Unofficial Patches that supposedly fix a crap ton of bugs and other strange oddities that happen with item collisions and such.

I thought "Neat, I'll download these first and install them before I move onto any other mods"

If only I knew it would be such a headache....

I at first downloaded OBMM to help me install mods, and I followed the instructions to install the patches.

Queue to the game crashing to desktop the MOMENT I start up the game. I thought it might have been the UI mod I installed...nope. The moment I deactivated the patches, everything started up fine (aside from my mouse being super slow like it was stuck in syrup on menus, but that's a whole other issues).

I then began to search for solutions, only to really not find any...

I uninstalled, deleted, and redownloaded the patches. I used OBMM again and this time the game told me that they were invalid and missing master files.

Which is bs because I have the GOTY edition. Which means I have all the DLC and such.

I also saw that the files were saying 0kb so I thought maybe it downloaded it wrong. Queue to me redoing everything. Uninstall, delete, redownload, and reinstall.

This time, I decided to use BAIN.

After a headache of a time trying to learn BAIN I eventually figured out how to get it to work by moving the zip folder of the patch to the correct directory for BAIN to find it.

BAIN finds it, I follow the instructions to install it. Putting it in the right slot, and everything.

I install it using BAIN. Everything seems fine. No errors and no "invalid file or no master file" message. I try to start the game....instant crash to desktop. I don't even see the Bethesda logo. Just dark screen then BAM desktop.

Queue to me going through the internet to figure out what is going wrong.

No one has answers.

I reinstall, delete, reinstall several times. Redownloading the patches and everything.

I think, okay, maybe I have the load order wrong. Nope.

I eventually get BOSS working (I think...cause that was a headache and a half when it wouldn't let me find the BOSS.exe because for whatever reason when I try to find it the only files it lets me choose is "Select Oblivion" which made no damn sense cause I had the game directory and masterlist selected, but that's a whole other story).

Eventually get BOSS working and it places everything in the correct load order, FINALLY.

"I think this will work."

Load up the game, press play, black screen, CTD. Damn it.

So, I am here to ask for help after 12 or so hours of scouring the internet and reading the forums to find NOTHING to help me.

I would REALLY like to use the unofficial patches, but if it's just crashing me to the desktop then I don't know...can I play without the UOP? Do mods require it? I'd really like some of the fixes it gives, especially the tearing of clothing and armor where it doesn't mesh properly.

If it helps I am using Windows 10. An HP all in one computer so I have a Intel graphics card and such.

I just can't seem to figure out WHY it keeps crashing to desktop. The game works perfectly fine without the patches, and even with some basic mods like the UI mod I installed. I think it was DarNified UI. With only that installed (Cause I thought at first it might be that) it worked no problem. Started right up and everything. But the UOP's just crash instantly. No logo, just black screen then back to desktop.

So please, if anyone can help me, I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you.

What are you using to download and install the patches?

If you use NMM or Vortex, these will not work properly due to the way Oblivion mods are packaged, generally. Download the files manually. Manually cut and paste the patch files to your Data folder. Use OBMM to activate the plugins and BOSS to sort. If you have no other mods there should be no reason for CTD on launch. What UI did you install? What did you install that with?

Actually you should be using Wrye Bash rather than Vortex or NMM. OBMM was obsolete 10 years ago and is woefully inadequate today. Also you should avoid using BOSS at this point because LOOT has matured enough to take over for it.

You should also be sure that if you installed the DLC patches that you actually have all of those smaller DLCs in your game. GOTY Edition doesn't always come with them. Only the GOTY Deluxe Edition does.

What are you using to download and install the patches?

If you use NMM or Vortex, these will not work properly due to the way Oblivion mods are packaged, generally. Download the files manually. Manually cut and paste the patch files to your Data folder. Use OBMM to activate the plugins and BOSS to sort. If you have no other mods there should be no reason for CTD on launch. What UI did you install? What did you install that with?

I download them from the Nexus itself manually. Then I used OBMM to try and install the patches. When that didn't work (it kept saying invalid and no master file even though I have all the DLC). After that I switched to BAIN (Wrye Bash) to try and install them. Neither worked, and OBMM caused the files to be registered as invalid for some reason.

Everything was in my post, but perhaps it was a bit long cause I am frustrated. The UI was DarNified I believe. Which worked just fine and didn't cause a crash.

Actually you should be using Wrye Bash rather than Vortex or NMM. OBMM was obsolete 10 years ago and is woefully inadequate today. Also you should avoid using BOSS at this point because LOOT has matured enough to take over for it.

You should also be sure that if you installed the DLC patches that you actually have all of those smaller DLCs in your game. GOTY Edition doesn't always come with them. Only the GOTY Deluxe Edition does.

As I said in my post I did use Wrye Bash. I don't know where people are getting "Vortex" from. BAIN, at least according the readme for Wrye Bash is what they call their installation tab on their program.

And yes, I do have all the DLC. The only thing it lists it as on Steam is GOTY Edition, but doesn't say Deluxe. However, when starting the game I have all the DLC data files. So, yes. I have all the DLC. I think Steam just doesn't list it as Deluxe, but it was one of the things I did after it crashed was check to make sure I had the Deluxe by checking all the DLC, and I have all them.

Did you start the game (no mods) at least once before installing anything?

Yes. It was the first thing I did.

I can attempt to try this again, but I believe I did that already.

Because after it failed I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Including the game from Steam. I then started the game with no mods.

Edited by NikushimiZERO

As much as I would like for the patches to work, cause the item and armor clipping is really annoying, if I don't absolutely need the patches for other mods I can probably do without it, but I would really appreciate figuring this out.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the patches several times using Wrye Bash.

I took the patches from the Nexus. I downloaded them manually, but did NOT install manually. For that I used Wrye Bash.

Oh, and as for using LOOT. I didn't use it cause everywhere I looked online it said the LOOT was mainly for Skyrim and the Fallout games and wasn't the best for Oblivion, but I can always give that a try.

But idk if it will actually fix it.

I manually installed the UOP and DLC patches myself but if/when I do it again it will be via Wrye Bash.

One thing that will not change is how I approach modding the game. I install one single mod and then test thoroughly before moving on to the next (yes, except in cases where there are dependancies). When I add one thing to a working game and now it's in some way broken I have a pretty good idea where to start troubleshooting.

The UOP requires OBSE these days, so that is always the first thing I install and confirm that it's working.

All of the later versions of Wrye Bash no longer support using BOSS for load order. You can still use BOSS (I do myself) but you can't run BOSS from within WB anymore. In WB turn off Lock Load Order and then use BOSS from it's desktop shortcut to sort the load order. Then start WB and build/rebuild your bashed patch. BOSS hasn't had it's masterlist updated in quite a while. If you use new mods that aren't recognised by BOSS set up a User Rule (I generally look for similar type mods in the existing masterlist and then set up the User Rule to sort close to mods I have from that section of the masterlist ... obviously I have plenty of older mods in my load order).

I manually installed the UOP and DLC patches myself but if/when I do it again it will be via Wrye Bash.

One thing that will not change is how I approach modding the game. I install one single mod and then test thoroughly before moving on to the next (yes, except in cases where there are dependancies). When I add one thing to a working game and now it's in some way broken I have a pretty good idea where to start troubleshooting.

The UOP requires OBSE these days, so that is always the first thing I install and confirm that it's working.

All of the later versions of Wrye Bash no longer support using BOSS for load order. You can still use BOSS (I do myself) but you can't run BOSS from within WB anymore. In WB turn off Lock Load Order and then use BOSS from it's desktop shortcut to sort the load order. Then start WB and build/rebuild your bashed patch. BOSS hasn't had it's masterlist updated in quite a while. If you use new mods that aren't recognised by BOSS set up a User Rule (I generally look for similar type mods in the existing masterlist and then set up the User Rule to sort close to mods I have from that section of the masterlist ... obviously I have plenty of older mods in my load order).

Yes, I did that. I installed OBSE though I don't know how it works exactly. How can I tell if it works?

I read OBSE but it didn't really say anything except "Install this, place it here, then run the game. It should run along side with the game itself."

I didn't specify a lot of details for brevity, but I did follow the instructions but I have no idea what it means by "run along side the game". I mean. I know what the meaning is. It should run with the game, but what I mean by having no idea what it means is that I don't know how I can tell that it is running along with the game.

I have literally scoured the forums and google trying to find an answer. Following almost all suggestions I could find.

So I apologize if I say that I have already tried something after you suggest it in hopes of helping me.

But, yes. I tried installing OBSE and put it where it is supposed to go and followed the install directions. Still, with the patches it crashes instantly. I just don't get it.

Also, BOSS seemed to work after I downloaded it directly from their site with the automatic installer and it seemed to place everything in order as the patch and everything rearranged something.

---

For now, I am taking a break from messing with it again cause I spent hours on it and am frustrated. Will probably come back tomorrow or later tonight in order to see about fixing it. So any other suggestions I am all ears. I am hoping to compile a bunch of different ideas that I haven't tried yet before I start again.

So, I installed and ran LOOT against the base game and its DLC cause I wanted to see if anything was up with them. Almost all of them come back with

"TES4Edit v4.0.3 found 115 ITM records and 255 deleted references. Due to Improvements made to the cleaning process with the official release of xEdit 4.0.x+, any mods which were verified as clean with older versions of xEdit may now require additional cleaning. A guide for running xEdit 4.0.x+ in Quick Auto Clean mode can be found here."

This one is for the Knights.esp

I don't know if this matters when using the Unofficial Patches, or if this is normal. Please let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: I have used LOOT to arrange the order of the patches properly, ticked all the boxes (maybe I don't need to?) and attempted to start the game once more...no errors, but just crashes.

LOOT says everything is fine aside from what I posted above, but idk what that stuff means or if it is important.

Edited by NikushimiZERO

If you look through the OBSE mod comments you'll see I've covered how to verify whether or not OBSE is working numerous times.

Start the game and make a save. Look in your saves folder (found in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves) and see if you now see two save files each time you save (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse). If you only see one save file each time you save then OBSE isn't working.

Of course in your case that will mean starting the game with only OBSE installed (don't imagine there'd be much hope of making a save in your current state).

You can also determine that OBSE is working by looking at the OBSE.log, but in all likelyhood you're not getting far enough for it to create a log.

- Edit - A video link from page two of those OBSE comments that may help ...

Edited by Striker879