Is there anything left to do?

anjenthedog

If you want to destroy the brotherhood, when Astrid kidnaps and has you in the shed, she will ask you to kill one of the three captives in there with you.

Rather than killing them, you kill Astrid then report to any guard in any city, and they will direct you to an inspector in Solitude that gives you a quest to kill all the brotherhood members.

if you do kill Astrid there is no way to join the brotherhood and lose out on some interesting quest and quest specific items, plus you don’t kill Cicero or meet mother, but you do get a lot of loot from raiding their sanctuary.

If you want to destroy the brotherhood, when Astrid kidnaps and has you in the shed, she will ask you to kill one of the three captives in there with you.

Rather than killing them, you kill Astrid then report to any guard in any city, and they will direct you to an inspector in Solitude that gives you a quest to kill all the brotherhood members.

if you do kill Astrid there is no way to join the brotherhood and lose out on some interesting quest and quest specific items, plus you don’t kill Cicero or meet mother, but you do get a lot of loot from raiding their sanctuary.

Way to spoil the quest for him...

Way to spoil the quest for him...

Well, I don't want to join the brotherhood anyway, and I really don't care much if I miss out on any of the special goodies from the Dark brotherhood..And the creepy 'mother' can rot in her coffin forever as far as I'm concerned.... But I do like having some objective more substantive than wiping out yet another gaggle of bandits for the jarl (whichever jarl). Wiping out the dark brotherhood suits me just fine.

So no harm no foul in my opinion. thanks to all of you.

PS> I did try Project AHO long ago (I think that's what it's called) but I wasn't able to get rid of enough followers to stop the game from CTD'ing (I have some phantom follower I don't' seem to be able to purge) so I gave up on that one (in case anyone thinks to suggest it)

I have just done Penitus Oculatus without any problems. However, to join the organisation you first have to start the Civil War by declaring loyalty to the emperor and go at least as far as getting the Jewelled Crown. The problem with the civil war is having to put a villain in charge of Markarth or a villain in charge of Riften. But PO does not require you to go that far.

I would also recommend Rigmor, but it needs a separate playthrough - one of the requirements is that you have not taken sides in the civil war.

You could of course change your followers and see if you can nurse weaker ones across wild terrain.

For those who like dungeon crawling the modder who made Vominheim has a stiff series ready for you (not really my taste, but I tried a few and hit no technical problems). I think that had a recommended level of 50 or more.

I usually do Helgen Reborn and Adal Matar.

Unfortunately most of the big quest mods written for Oldrim do not have the benefit of the best environmental mods after conversion, so that your walks in their wilds would look somewhat grey. They also lack good homes, good shops, anything that gives life that extra interest.

Thanks for the suggestions Anselmp.

I was about to start PO but noticed that civil war stuff in some posts. But at least I've stopped the nightly, and btw, utterly fruitless attacks by members of the assassin's guild once and for all. ;) I'll have to mull that one over for a while before I decide on proceeding.

I'm considering Rigmor next. I watched a partial playthrough a long time ago (just around the time I started playing) but at the time thought it was way too advanced and passed on by. Thanks for the reminder.

RE: on my own, I routinely leave my followers to idle by the pool or fiddle with the various crafting stations...why the devil do they do that if they don't actually craft anything ??? (rhetorical). They all level up with me and are essential, so even if I did bring them they'd be as up to it as me (or close to it anyway)

regards,

Sorry I'm late. For those who, like me, don't wish to play as the murderer of a feeble old woman, the workaround is to go and find the abandoned shack, between Solitude and Morthal, console the door open, and just go in and kill the assassin Astrid. Cut the other captives loose and go find the guard. It will start the quest and, a little while later, you will just get a courier that says the orphanage is under new management.

I'll probably do that workaround in future.

I did not suggest it earlier because it does not require a high level, but Anna's NPCs would add a number of quests, plenty of NPCs and a few small buildings (inns, a meadery etc) with more variation in character and extra music. They do not go outside Skyrim and generally avoid the hot spots. As with Rigmor, sometimes it is necessary to wait for the system to catch up with events. They are designed to interact and would be good on your moorland or tundra walks, but I would not take them dungeon crawling as they tend to get in the way in narrow passages if you have more than 2 followers.

You dont walk around Tamriel. You walk around Skyrim.

There never has been a functional, non-quest related, province of Tamriel other than Skyrim in this game.

If you want to go to the other provinces, you need to use some quest mods, which can be very unimmersive. Think about a quest four years in the future, calling you a dragonborn, when you are roleplaying a non-dragonborn character.

In nine years, the Skyrim modding community wasn't able to release a functional, non-quest related, tamrielic province. Instead you have several islands from other franchises, like Super Mario or Star Wars, for example. Loretards are the ones to blame for it, as modders will face less criticism from a Warcraft province than from a TES one. Myself, I subscribe to the lorerape model, which ZOS taught me about.

In all those years, Skyrim modders were much more busy jumping at each other throats, with the parlor model in full steam. Wars for endorsements, Reddit toxicity and all the bad stuff coming from ego-filled sociopaths are the tone for the "scene", so you have more retextures for Whiterun than a simple composition for Jehanna, for example.

So it happens you dont have anywhere else to go, OP. Time to ditch Skyrim and look for another game. Its not your fault, and its not the fault of CK either, as the CK have the capacity to deliver. I know because I'm using it.

Edited by Wolfstorm