Troubleshooting - Updating Enemy Leveled Lists on a Preexisting Save

Hi. I recently installed Daedric Resilience for Oblivion. The mod makes Daedra and Undead immune to regular weapons so you can't hit them. There's a balanced version offering different resistances for different types of daedra and undead. I tried installing the .esp file to no avail. Daedra and Undead were still one-hundred percent affected by my weapons. However, upon starting a new game, the mod kicked in. How does the Oblivion engine handle the updating of leveled lists (including enemies' abilities, attributes, loot, etc)? Is it possible to force an update of the enemies' status/leveled lists on a preexisting save so this mod can work?

Edited by gabrielrock19

Do a test ... with the mod installed on your current game use the console "coc and wait" trick to see if new spawns will be affected by the mod (so far you've been testing on previously spawned NPCs).

Open the console using the tilde (~) key found just below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type "coc center" (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You will be transported to an open plain with some trees in the distance. Using the in-game Wait menu wait 72 hours plus a bit for good measure (so three full days and then a bit more). Open the console and "coc weye" (again no quotes) and you will be transported to the fisherman's shack at Weye outside the Imperial City. If you know the correct location code for somewhere else you could use that spot as your return to Tamriel spot (e.g. coc VilverinExterior would bring you back to just outside Viverin across from the tutorial sewer exit).

I did exactly as you said but nothing happened. Enemy resistances remain unchanged.

EDIT: I rolled back to a savegame where I had to deliver the amulet of kings to Jauffre. The Daedric Invasion didn't begin yet. The mod worked and enemy resistances were altered. Worst case scenario here would be that once you encounter Daedric enemies the game permanently locks their actor data.

Anyway, I gave up on that mod. MMM seems a lot better to add variety/difficulty to the game. In Oblivion you can safely uninstall most mods so... yeah. I guess this topic will get necroed pretty soon

Edited by gabrielrock19

It's satisfying to have 66% or 100% reflect damage and the mundane ring in oblivion, but the devs could've worked a bit harder to make at least a few very challenging enemy encounters for players who happened to do that. ES4 has a decent combat and MMM makes it a lot more alive and interesting, but the truth is that very few games in the industry managed to implement a really good combat system or unique boss fights. Pillars of Eternity I and II had really (I mean reeeally) good combat systems. Dragon's Dogma had the best single player game open world game's combat I've found but wasn't a very good game (storywise). Other than that, FF8 had cool spells and enemy strategies but the leveling system is fundamentally broken. FF14 on the other hand excelled at making challenging and different boss fights. The bosses had several AI/Attack "phases" and AoE attacks. Depending on the magnitude of the attack, they could one shot you. Other than those I can think of no other game that managed to do an exciting hack and slash combat (take FF8 away from the list, it's not hack and slash).

s#*!. Hack and slash is only fun til a certain degree. Maybe if Oblivion had complex RPG rules and limits like PoE I...? Who knows hehehe... Imo the ideal game fight is one that makes you think a lot.

Here's a nice but simple rule for Oblivion who would screw most barbaric classes: you cannot regenerate magicka in combat unless you chose a magic class during character creation. So if you've mastered restoration as a warrior you'll still die. And if you're a mage, you can't have any armor defenses but your magicka regenerates pretty quickly. Here's another one: all weapon attacks have a high chance of missing and a small chance of dealing double damage during a critical strike. Missing attacks can be mitigated to 5-10% if you're a Blade/Blunt expert or master. Unblocked arrows that pierce your unprotected head/face have a 99% of chance of instantly killing you. If you don't die, you'll faint and be teleported to a cathedral where the priests will heal your injuries. Archers would be literal Terror under these new rules and they would aim for your head whenever possible haheahehae. Master acrobats can briefly slow time do efficiently dodge lower level enemies, and acrobat masters can avoid most of your attacks as well unless you're also a master. These are basic RPG limits but they would enhance oblivion's gameplay I think.