OBSE Plugins not Activating/Working

TLC77

So, I installed a bunch of mods that require various plugins for OBSE such as Blockhead for the Character Overhaul mod but, when I load the game the textures are glitched and it tells me to install Blockhead even though I already did. The same goes for plugins such as MenuQue and NifSe. i am able to load the game through an older version of OBSE because the newest one does not recognize that I have enabled the community overlay, even though I did. Please help and thank you.

OK so first confirm the following files are in exactly the indicated folder path:

Oblivion\obse_1_2_416.dll

Oblivion\obse_editor_1_2.dll

Oblivion\obse_steam_loader.dll

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\obse.ini

For the Steam version of the game just start the game the way you normally would before you installed OBSE.

If the game starts then make a save and exit. Next look in your saves folder (by default in Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves for all later versions of Windows) and see if you now see two save files with different file extensions each time you save (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse). If you are only seeing a single save file each time you save then OBSE isn't working.

If OBSE is working then Blockhead will need to be exactly in this folder path:

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\Blockhead.dll

After you start the game you will then also have:

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\Blockhead.ini

First step is always confirm that OBSE is working as no OBSE plugin will work without it.

OK so first confirm the following files are in exactly the indicated folder path:

Oblivion\obse_1_2_416.dll

Oblivion\obse_editor_1_2.dll

Oblivion\obse_steam_loader.dll

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\obse.ini

For the Steam version of the game just start the game the way you normally would before you installed OBSE.

If the game starts then make a save and exit. Next look in your saves folder (by default in Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves for all later versions of Windows) and see if you now see two save files with different file extensions each time you save (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse). If you are only seeing a single save file each time you save then OBSE isn't working.

If OBSE is working then Blockhead will need to be exactly in this folder path:

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\Blockhead.dll

After you start the game you will then also have:

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\Blockhead.ini

First step is always confirm that OBSE is working as no OBSE plugin will work without it.

Thanks for your response man, I tried checking if I have OBSE working and I launched the game and saved. For some reason I saw that my previous saves had the .OBSE endings while any new saves I made as of now only had .ESS. I tried loading through an older OBSE launcher (because the newest one doesn't let me [steam community overlay glitch thing]) and tried saving but it still only made an .ESS save file. I also tried checking for the OBSE.ini in the Oblivion>Data>Obse folder but it wasn't there.

I'm at a bit of disadvantage here as I've never used the Steam version of the game, so I have no hands on experience (i.e. all I know about it comes second hand).

OBSE hasn't been updated for quite a while so as far as I know the version 21 found on the Silverlock site (the one right under Current Stable Version: v0021) is the one for Steam or disk versions of the game (the one beside Latest loader is meant for the Good Old Games (GOG) version of the game only).

Some links to various Steam advice I've run across:

Video tutorial -

- includes info on giving full control

Getting Steam version to work on Win 10: jbvertexx post in this forum thread - https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5794272-enb-wrapper-version-crash/ (take note of the post by jbvertexx on Aug 7 2017)

I'm at a bit of disadvantage here as I've never used the Steam version of the game, so I have no hands on experience (i.e. all I know about it comes second hand).

OBSE hasn't been updated for quite a while so as far as I know the version 21 found on the Silverlock site (the one right under Current Stable Version: v0021) is the one for Steam or disk versions of the game (the one beside Latest loader is meant for the Good Old Games (GOG) version of the game only).

Some links to various Steam advice I've run across:

Video tutorial -

- includes info on giving full control

Getting Steam version to work on Win 10: jbvertexx post in this forum thread - https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5794272-enb-wrapper-version-crash/ (take note of the post by jbvertexx on Aug 7 2017)

I am a bit shaky on reinstalling Oblivion as I have done so already within 6 days of trying to make Oblivion work but I did reinstall OBSE with the three files required (obse_1_2... obse_editor and obse_steam dlls). But some of the other things I have done was disable oblivion_launcher.exe running in administrator mode aswell as enabling administrator mode on steam and disable broadcasting. I know I sound like I am trying to do the bare minimum but I am exhausted trying to figure out how to make things work for almost a week :confused: Sorry

Perhaps a Steam user will have some ideas for you ... I truly am out of my element in Steam.

After relooking for what files to download, I noticed that I forgot to put in obse.ini into the Oblivion>Data folder but when I launched the game and saved, i still did not have the .OBSE save files.

Perhaps a Steam user will have some ideas for you ... I truly am out of my element in Steam.

After relooking for what files to download, I noticed that I forgot to put in obse.ini into the Oblivion>Data folder but when I launched the game and saved, i still did not have the .OBSE save files.

Ya, a while after version 21 introduced the OBSE.ini I ran a test to see if OBSE still launched without the INI and it launched just fine. I still recommend for everybody to install the Data\OBSE\obse.ini file even though it appears to me that it is unused in version 21 (my own OBSE.ini in my game install is exactly the same as the one included in the OBSE version 21 download).

i always figured obse would figure itself out and just dumped all of the obse files into my Oblivion folder. create a shortcut for Oblivion, edit the shortcut replacing oblivion.exe w/ obse_loader.exe toss that on the desktop. there is an alternative obse_loader.exe that i had to use w/ the goty version ... but i just grabbed the dlcs and used the basic pc version. have you tried the alternative loader??? (hint: it's on the same download page as obse)

i'm just one of those people who don't like being told how or where i can put stuff. so of course my oblivion game is in the programs folder. so after taking ownership of every file via a bat file and giving every executable admin rights ... my game somewhat works fine.

it's off-topic, yet somewhere i decided on a total re-install ... can't remember why ... of my OS. since, certain actions will just crash the CS and some obse functions just don't work anymore in the console. oh well, i'm a masochist, otherwise would i be expecting perfection from a 32 bit decade + old game that was only made great by the modders???