SKSE64 2.0.18 why?

anjenthedog

Because Bethesda did updates for its f’ing creation club which means it dominoes into every one else having to do updates to keep up.

Bethesda does update, Steam then needs to update, SKSE/F4SE then needs to update, then mods need to be updated, it’s a vicious cycle.
At least that’s what I was told.

Because Bethesda did updates for its f’ing creation club which means it dominoes into every one else having to do updates to keep up.

Bethesda does update, Steam then needs to update, SKSE/F4SE then needs to update, then mods need to be updated, it’s a vicious cycle.

So....the game has been updated then? (I play offline and also have auto-update-when-online disabled)

So....the game has been updated then? (I play offline and also have auto-update-when-online disabled)

SKSE64 has been updated, the older version was causing CTD on startup because a Mod had updated or something like that

Since the SKSE64 libraries were posted, and as long as mod makers converted their SKSE64 mods to use the libraries, they're version independent now....going forward.

Out of the 160 mods on Nexus I’m either tracking or have downloaded, only 6 do not have updates.

CBBE and all it’s variants, Race Menu, XP32, even Mod Organizer 2 have updates, I guess I know how I’m spending the evening.

SKSE64 has been updated, the older version was causing CTD on startup because a Mod had updated or something like that

Since the SKSE64 libraries were posted, and as long as mod makers converted their SKSE64 mods to use the libraries, they're version independent now....going forward.

Sure, the older version is 2.0.18, (not 2.0.17) which also begs the question, has a new version of the game been released to necessitate a new release? There's no change log that says what 2.0.18 is/was meant to do. ie what it fixes or what it adds (or what it takes away)

I don't mind installing stuff when it has a purpose, but SKSE64 updates are always something of a hassle due to all the other mods that depend on SKSE64 and are often version dependent.

Wadr, "because" isn't a "reason", (in the logical sense of the word) much as I understand and appreciate the idea of blindly updating when an application issues an update. (I do it myself with about a dozen applications - PS, four or five astronomy apps, Paint.Net, a couple engineering apps, programming stuff, etc - but they don't require hours of followup work and up the days or weeks of delays, and even the potential of losing all my work a having to start on a "project" all over again, because, well,"because").

It's the fear of going through another night or so of updating and reinstalling things (and waiting for some apps, sometimes crucial chain elements to be updated) that break during updating other things and suddenly finding my level 60 character is now effectively dead and buried due to some un-diagnosable illness in the save file that magically appears after these updates, and gosh, it's time to start new game again... that gives me pause at blindly updating.

Sure, the older version is 2.0.18, (not 2.0.17) which also begs the question, has a new version of the game been released to necessitate a new release? There's no change log that says what 2.0.18 is/was meant to do. ie what it fixes or what it adds (or what it takes away)

I don't mind installing stuff when it has a purpose, but SKSE64 updates are always something of a hassle due to all the other mods that depend on SKSE64 and are often version dependent.

Since there's no official changelog for SKSE (or at least none I know of), we can't know for sure what's changed. At any rate, it's definitely "only" an SKSE update. There wasn't any game update by Bethesda recently. If there had been one, you would see the usual "help, game won't start after update" posts here... :ermm:

It's the fear of going through another night or so of updating and reinstalling things (and waiting for some apps, sometimes crucial chain elements to be updated) that break during updating other things and suddenly finding my level 60 character is now effectively dead and buried due to some un-diagnosable illness in the save file that magically appears after these updates, and gosh, it's time to start new game again... that gives me pause at blindly updating.

I feel you. Not something I'm looking forward to either. Some mods that are important at least for me (e. g. AdditemMenu) aren't updated yet. So I have an excuse not to switch to 2.0.19 right now... :cool:

Like I told my son the other day, who’s just gotten into modding...

If my game crashes, it’s on!

Ive always done my best to play the good guy, being helpful and kind, not the next time around.

I will strike fear to the very core of Skyrim, I will become a vampire lord, and blot out the sun.

I will resurrect Potema as my queen, Luna as my shield maiden, and Harkon as my foot stool.

I’ll lead the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild to glory, follow the Daedra lords, and the Daedra quest.

There won’t be enough soul gems for what I have in mind, even the rabbits and chickens will die!

OK, rant off.

You should download it again because it's at 2.0.19

It's always good to download the latest, especially if the mods that need it use the universal library

I'm using 2.0.17 to run the latest SE executable. I did not even realize some updates had occurred. What advantages might I gain with the latest SKSE64?

I already realize the disadvantage of my game ceasing to work if something goes wrong.