Why "pre-generated optimization" in a game where the player can build & scrap stuff?

Good evening everybody!

I know this is a question that probably will get no real answer, because the people who made that decision are most likely busy with screwing up the next Fallout or ElderScrolls game ...

Anyway:

Why is this "pre-generated optimization" (precombines / previs) a thing in a game that lets the player scrap & build stuff in the game?

In a mostly "static" game like Skyrim a system like this precombine & previs system would make sense, because the player can't really "change" the gameworld during "runtime".

(Yes, you can with the CK, but that's another thing ...)

But not in a game where the player can dynamically "edit" the gameworld inside the game.

It just makes no sense! (to me ...)

I LOVE the settlement building system and I use "scrapping mods". I personally don't really care about "high FPS", as long as it doesn't look like the game is "stuttering".

Ever since I started playing FO4 about a year ago I used "scrapping mods", so I probably had Precombines disabled since the beginning and it never bothered me ...

It's like that because that is how the engine works best I assume. The reason they went tat direction is probably because the idea of how settlement building probably started significantly different from what we have. I think we were expected to buy most everything for building or scrap down stuff we scavenge. Then they realized the problem as that would require leaving weirdly empty spaces for building in or we would be forced to work around stuff so the idea of scrapping was added. Then they picked what could and couldn't be removed with the goal of balance in mind.

There is an option to disable precombines during the process with checking the cells as "Hand changed" as far as I remember.

The reason it's unoptimized is that nobody thought the settlement system would be a thing. It's something a guy made during for fun during the last months of the game's creation

There is an option to disable precombines during the process with checking the cells as "Hand changed" as far as I remember.

The reason it's unoptimized is that nobody thought the settlement system would be a thing. It's something a guy made during for fun during the last months of the game's creation

you have a source for that?

It's something a guy made during for fun during the last months of the game's creation

Do you have an actual authoritative source for that ?

Reason I ask is that I find references to workshops and settlement building keyworeds right through the scripts back to early main quest changes and cut content.

So I smell an urban legend/myth.

I read it just fine. It's still a puzzling question. All you have to do is turn the optimization off to see WHY it's needed. Being able to build settlements or scrap stuff doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

I read it just fine. It's still a puzzling question. All you have to do is turn the optimization off to see WHY it's needed. Being able to build settlements or scrap stuff doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

the point isn't that optimization shouldn't be there it is why is it optimized the way it is.

the point isn't that optimization shouldn't be there it is why is it optimized the way it is.

Exactly, that was the point of my question.