Your Method of Travel/Do You Fast Travel

Spacely8

<p>If I'm travelling with someone, yes, I fast travel if possible.  Otherwise its a mix, and depends on the situation.  Travelling between cities, yes, almost always if I've been there already.  I never use the carriages, and will always walk the first time to any city.  When on a mission, usually walk to the location, then fast travel back (sometimes).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I can't get too immersive in a game where wolfs carry gold, rings, and other things on them.  So fast travelling doesn't break anything for me.</p>

Edited by rizon72

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried reading other peoples replies.... got bored and fast traveled to the end to post my reply :P

I start the game out walking everywhere because no where is known. But for me it quickly becomes boring. I know where the encounter zones are. I know when to expect something etc. Might as well fast travel and avoid it if there is a known point near to where I have to go.

I think it depends really what kind of mods you are playing with. Mods like Skyrim Redone, Climates of Tamriel, Cold & Wet, maybe in addition Basic Needs and an additional Injurie modification slow you down. You have too look for firwood and shelter (your tent) if it is freezing cold after a while or a blizzard starts. You have to care about food and sleep if you use such a mod. If you install mods like the Hunter Guild, you roam around just for the wildlife.

In other words such mods add a lot of possibilities and gameplay in addition to any regular quests. It is not getting boring that fast, rather without such modifications but thats maybe a personal taste. But I think thats the strength of the Elder Quest series/Fallout in combination with such community mods which really fits well.

My play style is to get the quests done rather than look at the scenery etc. I was awed by the scenery on my first run. After that its all just the same old thing. A lower end laptop can put a real damper on trying to spice things up with the enhanced and variety type of mods. I'd rather just fast travel if I'm able to and get the quest done rather than walk my way thru places I've already been and risk unnecessarily filling up the game's memory and crashing to desktop.

It is a personal preference and I've no qualms with anyone who does and can walk/run everywhere.

I habitually fast travel, unless I actually feel like taking the scenic route or I'm exploring for the sake of exploring. Running around Skyrim is fun it a way but I can't be bothered to do it whenever I have something to do.

The nice thing about this is that despite having played this game for many, many, many hours, I still find things I hadn't noticed before.

I don't fast travel, however I do use carriages. They don't break immersion as they can only be found in major cities and from there you have to walk by yourself.

Wait, how is it more immersive to instantly go from one city to another using the carriage than doing the exact same thing with fast travel and just assuming your character jogged or rode there? :huh:

I mean, functionally speaking they are exactly the same thing - skipping the actual traveling part of traveling somewhere.

You can only do that in major cities. I find it less agressive to the explorer experience because I can only do that when I am in major cities.

It is more a matter of convinience; although I like exploring, I am not willing to cross the whole map just to get from point A to point B several times a day.

I am trying to just travel normally (no fast travel) since I just installed Frostfall and Wet and Cold. Having a horse makes non-fast travel much more tolerable, especially if you are using mods that let you carry stuff on your horse, like convenient horses. I use my horse to carry my camping gear, since those tents are not very light.

I installed Requiem and that removed fast travel, and I was grateful for that, because I would use fast travel all the time and never actually explore.

Then one day the fast-travel turned itself back on (I dunno how) and I fast travel everywhere again. :/

Of course, sometimes I just go out and hike, completely ignoring destinations, and then fast travel means nothing to me.

I am trying to just travel normally (no fast travel) since I just installed Frostfall and Wet and Cold. Having a horse makes non-fast travel much more tolerable, especially if you are using mods that let you carry stuff on your horse, like convenient horses. I use my horse to carry my camping gear, since those tents are not very light.

If you use Frostfall and Wet & Cold, dont forget to get the clothing mod: Winter is comming - Cloaks. You will need warm cloaks. A superb combination with these mods is Skyrim Redone, which is really an awesome mod (if you walk a lot better slow down the Wayfarer XP gain, you can change this in the uncapper ini). They are all compatible and fine tuned to fit together.

Addtional interesting mods which fit here aswell are: Skyrim Redone like already mentioned, Get Snowy, Lanterns of Skyrim, Light up the night - People have Torches, Real Shelter, Travellers of Skyrim (there is a newer mod called ERSO who did update it and you can take it from their mod package), Better Torches which will help you in the dark nights which you will see with Climates of Tamriel aswell the Lanterns and ppl have Torches mod.

And if you walk quiete a lot and avoid fast travelling, the mod Hunting in Skyrim - Hunter Guild is quiete cool. There is also a Fishing Guild mod out there, didnt test this one.

Edited by moxrox

I tried reading other peoples replies.... got bored and fast traveled to the end to post my reply :P

I start the game out walking everywhere because no where is known. But for me it quickly becomes boring. I know where the encounter zones are. I know when to expect something etc. Might as well fast travel and avoid it if there is a known point near to where I have to go.

I think it depends really what kind of mods you are playing with. Mods like Skyrim Redone, Climates of Tamriel, Cold & Wet, maybe in addition Basic Needs and an additional Injurie modification slow you down. You have too look for firwood and shelter (your tent) if it is freezing cold after a while or a blizzard starts. You have to care about food and sleep if you use such a mod. If you install mods like the Hunter Guild, you roam around just for the wildlife.

In other words such mods add a lot of possibilities and gameplay in addition to any regular quests. It is not getting boring that fast, rather without such modifications but thats maybe a personal taste. But I think thats the strength of the Elder Quest series/Fallout in combination with such community mods which really fits well.

My play style is to get the quests done rather than look at the scenery etc. I was awed by the scenery on my first run. After that its all just the same old thing. A lower end laptop can put a real damper on trying to spice things up with the enhanced and variety type of mods. I'd rather just fast travel if I'm able to and get the quest done rather than walk my way thru places I've already been and risk unnecessarily filling up the game's memory and crashing to desktop.

It is a personal preference and I've no qualms with anyone who does and can walk/run everywhere.

It is not about the scenery what I was talking about, rather the gameplay. You get more identificaton with the game world, its a new game into the existing one with all its quests with such survival mods. And with a combination of certain mods it makes sense to walk, ride a horse or sometimes use a carriage rather instead of fast traveling on your map.

Yeah, its a personal preference of gameplay. It seems like you did finish the game already and did restart with a new character, this is of course a different situation aswell if I did not missunderstand you. It is just great that you can choose different ways how to play this game.

Edited by moxrox

I can't say I NEVER Fast Travel....I Fast Travel up and down High Hrothgar (it gets mundane fast)....Fast Travel when i have that guy with me who wants to go to Eldergleam (keeps him alive without headaches)....and Fast Travel when Serana has to be with my Dovah (she annoys the heck out of me and the sooner she is gone the better)

Otherwise no I never Fast Travel, nor take Carriages, nor use a Horse....my Dovah jogs everywhere....I love my RP and couldn't play the game any other way....gotta be immersed or I don't enjoy it....I also have a Mod that springs tough random walking encounters on me...it is very random, so every long journey has consequences for me at unknown places and unknown times....very cool.... :happy:

I don't fast travel either - except occasionally when I need to solve a glitch or reset some NPCs behavior or cell. There are many great means of transportation to use among all our mods here:

- by land: I ride horses with your followers - I use AFT.

- by roads: I pack my carriage and hit the road, followers hop in the cart with me - I use The Book of Dovahkiin

- by water: I row a boat - I use Pilotable Rowboat and Finally Real Boats

- by air: I fly a dragon - I use Real-Time Dragon Fast Travel (which is no fast travel actually, you do see yourself flying from one spot to another in real game time)

and they all work amazingly well together, flawlessly in my game actually.