Fallout 4 - Mods not working no matter what

ChrisS77

Hey there, I've been trying to get fallout 4 to work with mods but nothing I've done is working. I figured I'd post it on here as some of you may know how to fix it, and it might help others in the future. Here's what I've done:

1. Ensured the staging folder was on the same drive but not inside the fallout 4 folder

2. Ensured the mods were installed, enabled, and staged.

3. Started a new file save

4. used only 1 mod that was recently updated to test if it works (it doesn't obviously)

5. Installed f4se loader. I copied the loose files then made the data folder into a 7zip folder and installed and enabled it in vortex

6. Created fallout 4 custom.ini file and put "

[Archive]bInvalidateOlderFiles=1sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\"

7. Found the fallout 4prefs.ini and added "bEnableFileSelection=1" at the bottom of it

8. Ran the f4se loader using administrator and checked if it was loaded using "`" then "checkf4seversion"

9. Ensured fallout 4 and script extender were same version

10. Disabled firewall

Hopefully someone here knows what to do. I figured I'd give pc gaming a try during the pandemic to pass some time, but this is approaching the point where the frustration this is causing me just isn't worth it anymore. Thanks in advance!

Guest deleted34304850

when you installed the mods, did you enable them, and deploy them?

if you go to the plugins tab, do you see the plugins enabled?

Yes the mods are enabled, and deployed as it stated when the mod was being enabled. I clicked the "deploy" button at the top of vortex to make sure it was actually deployed. No dice. For the pip boy mod there is no plugin, but some of the other mods I used had plugins, which I enabled. An example of a mod that had a plugin would be "Super clean and simple sanctuary startup".

Guest deleted34304850

ok i'll suggest you go to you tube and search for gopher gaming and watch his vids on how to get going with vortex. that should get you up and running.

Guest deleted34304850

so you are following the guide, you've installled/enabled/deployed mods - and they're still not working?

something is not right. obviously.

if you go into your data folder - do you see the file from the mod?

you mentioned you've installed fo4e - are you starting the game via the fo4e loader? shouldn't be any issue with those two mods you mentioned as they don't need it, but i'm just trying to build a picture in my head of what you've done.

@ChrisS77

The Fallout4Custom.ini is needed to enable mod support. Your core Fallout4Custom.ini should include these lines:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

The last line in your custom.ini differs from that and may be the source of your problem.