Advice on buying a new laptop

varkonasnorse

Hello boys and girls, friends and neighbors, and gamers of all ages. :cool: I don't know if this the place to post this or not, but I am in the market for a new laptop that I can play Skyrim on smoothly. Not that this is my only reason for purchasing one, but it would be nice to play the game on a computer that doesn't pause, feeze, or hiccup at the most inoportune moments. I currently play Skyrim LE on an old Gateway desktop with an Intel i3 processor and 8gb of memory on a 1TB hard drive with approx. 200 or so mods. The game plays, but just barely. I want a smooth gaming experience on a laptop for under $1000, but I'm hearing that in order get that perfomance I'm going to have to spend $1400 to 2000 for it. I want the laptop for other things besides playing games, so I'm still going to buy a laptop, but I'm not going to drop two grand just to play a $49 game.

The question is: If you had a $1000 to go and buy a laptop and play Skyrim on it, what would you buy?

A friend of mine has a Lenovo with a 17" display, 10th Gen i7 processor. It's a little heavy, but he says SSE runs beautifully on it. That's kind of what I want. I like the large screen. But some other folks I know thumb their noses at Lenovo saying the system itself is short-lived and battery life sucks. People praise and complain at the same time about Dell, ASUS, HP, and countless other systems. I suppose there are going to be as many disparaging remarks as there are kudos on any product I would consider. So, I'm asking for recommendations based on your experiences with your laptops. Apple/Mac is way out of my price range, so we'll just forget about those, ok.

I know people don't like endorsing a product just to have the guy that asked them to endorse it come back and chastise them for their recommendation because the product didn't perform as well as they thought. Well, I'm not going to do that to anybody. I'll make my own decision and live with it. I just appreciate the help. :confused:

I got an msi laptop specifically for gaming. They have a lot of options but any of them should be able to run Skyrim smoothly.

Oddly enough, I have another friend who has an MSI machine, but he did say he could not get a 17" screen and had to settle for a 15.3". The machine runs very well, but lacks the older conventions like a dvd drive and less usb ports, which I suppose is "what the new tech" is nowadays. His only real complaint is that he has no control over upgrades. In other words, he can't pick and choose his own specs for drivers etc. and he is forced to go on-line for things more than he did with his other machine. To me, the only thing off-putting about laptops and notebooks is that you are stuck with the graphics, and unless you have real skills and equipment, you won't be changing your graphics card anytime soon. So research seem to be the difference berween enjoying your game or struggling with it. Thanks dylbill for your input. :thumbsup:

No problem, I've had mine for a while now and it runs great. Specifically I got the MSI GP Series GP63 Leopard-428 15.6" 120 Hz FHD GTX 1070 8 GB VRAM i7-8750H 16 GB Memory 128 GB SATA SSD 1TB HDD. The 15.6" screen is fine for me, but that's something to consider. It hasn't had problems running any game I want to. It can get noisy, but as I game with headphones that's not an issue for me. If you're looking for upgradability, a desktop is most certainly better for that. It is kind of a bummer not to have cd/dvd tray built in, but you can get an external one pretty cheap now a days. I like having the laptop though for portability. Anyways, good luck on your search!.

Ya, than

No problem, I've had mine for a while now and it runs great. Specifically I got the MSI GP Series GP63 Leopard-428 15.6" 120 Hz FHD GTX 1070 8 GB VRAM i7-8750H 16 GB Memory 128 GB SATA SSD 1TB HDD. The 15.6" screen is fine for me, but that's something to consider. It hasn't had problems running any game I want to. It can get noisy, but as I game with headphones that's not an issue for me. If you're looking for upgradability, a desktop is most certainly better for that. It is kind of a bummer not to have cd/dvd tray built in, but you can get an external one pretty cheap now a days. I like having the laptop though for portability. Anyways, good luck on your search!.

ks. I'm definitely gonna check out thse msi machines. :cool:

If you can, stay away from the huge mechanical harddrives..... they are notoriously slow, and short-lived in laptops. Solid state drives have gotta a LOT cheaper of late, so, if you have the option, go for an SSD for the secondary drive. :D It costs a bit more, but, the performance improvement is WELL worth the additional expense.

From experience this is my own personal checklist of things to look for in a laptop:

1. Make sure it is portable

2. Ensure it has a screen

3. A keyboard is a must

4. A mouse is optional although highly useful

5. Don't get any model that starts with the name 'Shodan' and that the OS doesn't start with the phrase 'Glad'

6. Ensure it's not larger than your lap

7. Make sure its power source is electricity

8. Consider a notebook (the computer version)

9. As an alternative, consider mounting handles on your desktop PC

Best of luck!

Edited by gnarly1