[Custom worldspace mod] Trying to come up with "logical reasons" for things that are not possible because of game-limitations

The strength of the CreationEngine is its weakness: it always knows where all and everything is. In other games, the landscape is just a decoration. In FO4 the player can interact with any object. If there is a tin can lying around there, you can kick it, throw it or collect it. And so the engine constantly has to calculate millions and millions of objects, which means that the landscape can only be displayed at pedestrian speed (if you don't have a NASA computer).
The trick with the Vertibird is that only a very low LOD is required for the environment because it flies.

To get a bit technical - it's a result of BGS using an old framework that is no longer in use by other gaming companies(they even bought the rights to it afterwards, modified it and "rebranded" it in the "Creation Engine"..). Gamebryo has been around since Morrowind.. let that sink in for a bit.

Edited by Rasikko

To get a bit technical - it's a result of BGS using an old framework that is no longer in use by other gaming companies(they even bought the rights to it afterwards, modified it and "rebranded" it in the "Creation Engine"..). Gamebryo has been around since Morrowind.. let that sink in for a bit.

Yes, I know ...

That is why modding these games is so easy, because it is a rather "primitive" engine and it has been around "for ever" ...

That's a good thing!

Concerning Vehicles - their AI would be simple - just use the "travel" template (perhaps look at WorkshopCaravanTemplate for ideas) with the destination a linked ref and a condition like "isbeingridden".

Probably add a completion script to the AI package to dismount the 'rider'.

When your NPC decides to 'ride somewhere' that same script would attach the linked ref destination to the Vehicle and 'snaptointeraction' the NPC on it.

The NPC gets thrown off at the end so you have some AI package/script on the NPC to continue it.

The game handles the actual navigating the roads so your real issue is worldbuilding - making those 'roads' the most desirable path for the AI to use (navmeshing and invisible boarders) otherwise the will career all over the place!

Also I suggested a robobrain NPC with a vehicle mesh as the game knows they 'drive' on the ground (somehow).

A few other mods I have seen do this so I am just assuming they know what they are doing.

Concerning Vehicles - their AI would be simple - just use the "travel" template (perhaps look at WorkshopCaravanTemplate for ideas) with the destination a linked ref and a condition like "isbeingridden".

Probably add a completion script to the AI package to dismount the 'rider'.

When your NPC decides to 'ride somewhere' that same script would attach the linked ref destination to the Vehicle and 'snaptointeraction' the NPC on it.

The NPC gets thrown off at the end so you have some AI package/script on the NPC to continue it.

The game handles the actual navigating the roads so your real issue is worldbuilding - making those 'roads' the most desirable path for the AI to use (navmeshing and invisible boarders) otherwise the will career all over the place!

Also I suggested a robobrain NPC with a vehicle mesh as the game knows they 'drive' on the ground (somehow).

A few other mods I have seen do this so I am just assuming they know what they are doing.

About the navmeshing:

If I marked the actual roads as "preferred pathing", all NPCs would walk on the streets instead of on the sidewalk.

If I marked the sidewalks as "preferred pathing", all NPCs would try to drive on the sidewalks instead of on the street.

So, I "loose" either way ...

;-(

Mmmm. Tricky. Invisible lane barriers?

Sure - then the pedestrians can't get on the road - but is that an issue?

The 'snaptointeraction' doesn't care about jumping that invisible barrier so drivers could still board a vehicle.

Lots more worldbuilding though...

Mmmm. Tricky. Invisible lane barriers?

Sure - then the pedestrians can't get on the road - but is that an issue?

The 'snaptointeraction' doesn't care about jumping that invisible barrier so drivers could still board a vehicle.

Lots more worldbuilding though...

But then the player (and NPCs) couldn't just walk across the road if they wanted ...

I am not looking to have LOTS of vehicles driving around, just a few once in a while ...

The "main city" in my worldspace is not that big, everything relevant (shops, ...) can be reached by walking a few minutes. So most people who live there don't actually own a vehicle ...

Most of the time, NPCs or the player character can cross the street without beeing run over ...

And for vehicles driving from the "main city" to the other locations in my worldspace:

There are no actual "sidewalks" on those roads (setting preferred pathing will work fine there), so this is just an issue in actual "main city" ...

(This is one of the reasons why I asked about "conditions for navmesh" a while ago ...)

Yes, I know ...

That is why modding these games is so easy, because it is a rather "primitive" engine and it has been around "for ever" ...

That's a good thing!

Don't get me wrong, I like it that way too (modding Divine Divinity 2 was a nightmare), but they don't bother fixing the long standing problems with the engine and leave us to deal with it.